I'm all in for next year

Advertisement
Can our D improve that much next year? I don't think so. We lose 3-4 games.

We still haven't stayed on the field with a ranked team in two years. We have lost to the worst team in the ACC twice (worst in ACC means worst in college football), in Maryland last year and Virginia this year.

Until we can beat bad teams, we ain't going 10-2.

I'd say two ore three more years.

BTW, if we keep getting PWNED by FSU and UF in recruiting, we will NEVER beat them again.

Those UNC and UVA losses means we aren't even close to 10-2

Advertisement
It's a fragile offense that won't live up to expectations next year. That's a simple prediction, given the low number of rushing attempts. That type of thing invariably backfires. USC was preseason #1 after ending up 98th in the nation in rushes per game in 2011. Best of luck with that.

We've exceeded expectations on offense in a bully role against overmatched defenses. There's no doubt about that. But against legit defenses we better take advantage of the cheap opportunities early because we won't earn anything late. It's a glass jaw offense. Virginia Tech was a shell of itself this year but they still had enough class and smarts to hold us to 2 yards offense in the first 20 minutes of the second half. It was one pathetic 3 and out after another. Clutching that example may be a bit overboard, but not as much as using the word unstoppable, and actually believing it.

Advertisement
The defensive players don't worry me as much as the philosophy and predictable play-calling (spotting blitzes, man, & zone against our defense is a cinch)

Advertisement
I'm all in. I predicted 5-6 (at most) wins for this year. We won 7, and were 2 plays from winning 9. I think we win 9-10, though we do have VT, UNC and FSU away, and Florida at home.

10 wins is almost impossible with our defense. Just don't see the defense steping up that much next year. Really after a entire year this defense has not gotten any better at all, even Duke believes they can score on every possession.

Ummm....we were 2 play from winning 9 this year with what will likely have been a worse defense. Why can't we win 10 next year?

We still haven't stayed on the field with a ranked team in two years. We have lost to the worst team in the ACC twice (worst in ACC means worst in college football), in Maryland last year and Virginia this year.

Until we can beat bad teams, we ain't going 10-2.

I'd say two ore three more years.

BTW, if we keep getting PWNED by FSU and UF in recruiting, we will NEVER beat them again.

Those UNC and UVA losses means we aren't even close to 10-2

BC was worse than UVA this year, but you can continue your doom and gloom if you like.

Advertisement
The truth of the matter is watching this team play this year sucked the life out of my fan loyalty. Our 2012 defense was abysmal - they could never get off the field unless the other team somehow screwed up on their own. They were like watching the bad news bears x 100.

I don't expect to see the D improvement jump alot like other folks are predicting for next year. Most of the same players with another year in the weight room. Does that really translate into a much better D? I recognize age is a facter but unfortunately I think our D personnel is just not that talented across the board. Way too many JAGS on the D side of the ball. Numbers don't lie and you just don't go from consistently giving up 500 yards a game to all of a sudden being good with the majority of the same cast of characters,

We are in my estimation 2-3 away from becoming an average defense unless the staff miraculously pulls some difference maker JUCO's this year.

Don't underestimate the potential physical transformation of many of our true freshmen from this season to next. I think it will be eye opening. Many of these kids were just not ready physically. That will not be the case next year.

I think this year had tremendous value for these young guys on defense. They got manhandled a lot. During the season, there wasn't much they could do to change that. It's gonna take an off season for them to fully absorb what just happened. This season was a throw away for me, but not for those guys. I am optimistic enough to think we rise to "average" defense next year. Better days are ahead.

We need Curtis Porter healthy and in the lineup.. Apparently there were some rumblings that he was thinking of declaring... He is key

Honestly feel we can take another step next year, if we don't lose key players to the NFL Draft. I believe you'll see us play more press coverage if we have a better pass rush. Young DBs with almost no pass rush is a recipe for giving up big plays. We've all seen how that turns out. Maturation of the DL will be key.

As an aside please no more double passes behind the line of scrimmage with our QB lined up at receiver. We should do that maybe twice a season rather twice a game.

Advertisement
Back