If we self-impose, DO IT NOW

This has always been a long term rebuild (3-4 years). I would hate to all of a sudden think short term.

It would be a massive massive blunder to play this year and then have a bowl ban in 2013. Its not a risk I want to take with this team.

FWIW I agree with Lu on everything he's said in this thread.

Advertisement
Something about facing your bitter rival with an Orange Bowl birth on the line (and yeah, we'll be double digit underdogs, so?), or maybe that our conference really, really doesn't seem to want us to.

Come on, Lu, there are good arguments both ways; it's not an easy decision, either way.

I've tried, man. For real. I really don't think anything measures up even close to wiping the slate clean and giving recruits the feeling (warranted or otherwise) that they're coming into a fresh situation. Bitter rival and an Orange Bowl (especially considering what kind of team I acknowledge we are right now) are shortsighted with the type of program I expect in the next 2-3 years.

You also give up the opportunity for this team to experience what it means to be winners. Winning teams play in games like this before they become winners. It teaches them something. A healthy dose of humble pie perhaps...or, perhaps a healthy dose of "so this is what it takes, to win"...or perhaps something to keep'em hungry going into next year...you are also pushing that ahead one year...a year that might not offer the same opportunity by season's end. Or, ****, it isn't out of the realm of reality that we beat FSU and go to a BCS bowl game.

Learning how to win is something that has been missing from the 'Canes program for the past decade.

I am aware of the pros of the situation and understand if we take the hit, but there are tangible cons to this situation as well...the opportunity may not come again.

Do you realistically think we're going to get off without any other post-season ban? Even if so, is that worth the risk of having that penalty pushed to next year?

I have no idea what is coming.

But, do you think realistically, this opportunity that we are on the doorstep of, is going to be there next year...the year after? VaTech just had their worst season in 20 (TWENTY) years...essentially offering up this opportunity for Miami to get somewhere they've never gone.

We can belittle the opportunity and say how this opportunity is somehow below us (not you, but plenty of people have)...but not this guy.

I think a moment like this is MORE vital to success in the future than simply pushing back a sanction that we don't even know is coming. I think there are sides of this people don't look at, and just think "Well, Miami sucks! Better luck next year!"...yeah, we aren't very good, but we can take something legitimate and substantial from this season that could lead to a resurgence in the program. Is it a guarantee? No. Of course not. But neither is taking a bowl ban and hoping for success in 2013.

After watching the USF game, my answer to your question as "do you realistically think the opportunity will be there next year?" changed to Yes. I've been with you all year on Morris. Was since the beginning, and will retack the posts to prove it.

BUT, we return 20 out of 22 starters? That is huge in college football. HUGE. The ACC blows. This team has a real shot next year.

For all the banging our coordinators get, we have continuity for the first time in a long time. And all our playmakers were young.

This team can make noise next year. I had us pegged for 5 to 7 wins this year, and admittedly I wouldve picked 5 before 7.

This team can win the ACC next year. Straight up.

i don't think this has been mentioned yet.

what if Golden sees this year's bowl ban as a stab in the back from the administration and dips?

Were the FSU, K-State and ND games not meaningful? Talk about taking your lumps. This program has succeeded without ever having to play in a conference title game. Why does that change now?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back