IF this season is cancelled....What would you do IF you were King? Stay and play OR declare?

Advertisement
Been saying this for weeks on here. He'll be 24 before the 2021 season starts. Staying in college until then and trying to play in the NFL in 2022, now you're 25 years old before you play your first game. That's not smart if there's any way you can avoid it. If we don't play ball this fall, you'll never see D'Eriq King in a Miami uniform.

He's a marginal NFL QB prospect, at best. His draft status would be way too iffy after not having played in 2 years. Would be crazy to leave.

Been saying this for weeks on here. He'll be 24 before the 2021 season starts. Staying in college until then and trying to play in the NFL in 2022, now you're 25 years old before you play your first game. That's not smart if there's any way you can avoid it. If we don't play ball this fall, you'll never see D'Eriq King in a Miami uniform.

True but why transfer to Miami if that's really the case? He's already draft eligible.

True but why transfer to Miami if that's really the case? He's already draft eligible.

Obviously to showcase his skills on a bigger stage. But taking less than a year off, playing 1 year at Miami, and being drafted at 23/starting your NFL career at 24 is a far cry from taking almost 2 full years off, playing a year at Miami, then trying to find a home as a 25 year old rookie.

There isn't a soul on the planet who wants to see this kid in a Miami uniform more than me. Manny Diaz included. You literally cannot be more excited than I am to watch this kid quarterback this team. So, selfishly, I want him here no matter how many seasons we cancel. I just don't see him sticking around beyond this year. Not getting paid a dime before you turn 25 can't sound very enticing to him.

Advertisement
Obviously to showcase his skills on a bigger stage. But taking less than a year off, playing 1 year at Miami, and being drafted at 23/starting your NFL career at 24 is a far cry from taking almost 2 full years off, playing a year at Miami, then trying to find a home as a 25 year old rookie.

There isn't a soul on the planet who wants to see this kid in a Miami uniform more than me. Manny Diaz included. You literally cannot be more excited than I am to watch this kid quarterback this team. So, selfishly, I want him here no matter how many seasons we cancel. I just don't see him sticking around beyond this year. Not getting paid a dime before you turn 25 can't sound very enticing to him.

I get not wanting to put off another year but the payday difference could be astronomical. Right now he's a bit of an unknown commodity. More of an athlete than quarterback. He's played 1 1/4 seasons at QB and his production dropped pretty significantly during the 4 games he played in 2019. Not sure his passing numbers from 2018 make him anything more than a mid round gamble at this point. Remember Lamar Jackson had 3 seasons to show he could be an NFL passer. King has 15 total games at QB. If he has a Kyler Murray type year at Miami, he could easily be a first round pick. Well worth the extra year. Being an older rookie quarterback isn't like being an older rookie at most other positions. Especially with QB's playing well into their late 30's and 40's.

I'm not saying he'd be a lock to stay. I'd probably put it at 50/50 without really knowing his personal situation but the payoff of one more year could definitely make it worthwhile.

I don't understand...if Vince put away money for 2 years, and the rest of year 1 was cancelled, I don't see how that hurts His pockets.
Alpha Entertainment would have built in a certain amount of ticket and tv revenue into their model for year 1. The cancellation likely has the effect of rendering what was expected in their Year 1 model well below expectations. Maybe not fatally so, but definitely they took an unexpected hit.

Advertisement
Back