If this is all about lawsuits, why can't each conference just.....

These players aren't forced to play or are they at risk from the game itself. How is someone allowed to file a lawsuit? If that was the case every employer that has people at work would be in the same position.
A few people on here just have full on ragers for lawsuits

Advertisement
It is more about liberal academia who don't give a **** about sports especially football.. you have no idea how much these f00ls hyperventilate in a normal season.... they would eliminate CFB if possible. ... I encountered enough of them even at the U with all our history.

Every time there was a scandal, these ivory tower maroons would want football disbanded.
Exactly. ! Liberal academia looks down upon those of us that enjoy sports/competition. They think it's for the serfs/peasants (us) Anytime they inject their "mental illness" onto a sport/team it's a disaster. On the way to ruining women's sports with their transgender agenda

These players aren't forced to play or are they at risk from the game itself. How is someone allowed to file a lawsuit? If that was the case every employer that has people at work would be in the same position.

Employers are in a different boat because of workers' compensation insurance and the statutory protections they are afforded by most states so long as they maintain coverage for employees. But even there, it is state specific, and "occupational diseases" are more likely to be covered versus "ordinary diseases" encountered in normal life. For example, I can't file a worker's comp claim against my employer if I get the flu from a colleague in the office. But if you work in certain industries (like healthcare, as a first responder, or in corrections), covid-19 likely qualifies as an occupational disease (meaning people in these fields infected by covid-19 on the job can probably file a workers' comp claim, but they probably can't file a lawsuit). Basically, if an employer has workers' compensation coverage for covid-19, it's very difficult to file a meritorious lawsuit.

But assuming a circumstance where there is no workers' compensation.... Where an employer has covid-19 policies and procedures in place to promote a relatively "safe" environment, the employer asks its employees to come into the office, the employer does not follow its own covid-19 policies and procedures, the failure to follow its policies and procedures results in several employees contracting the virus and being hospitalized (or worse) or otherwise injured, and through contact tracing or otherwise employees are able to demonstrate the infection more likely than not occurred at their place of employment, there is a good chance a lawsuit can be filed (depending on the jurisdiction). As I type this, Celebrity Cruises is dealing with a class action lawsuit filed in federal court in South Florida for exposure to covid-19 (that's admittedly a bit different than the usual circumstance because maritime law applies).

Some states have passed laws to expressly protect employers/businesses from covid-19-related lawsuits. Some states have expanded workers' compensation to include covid-19, further insulating employers from claims (absent gross negligence or willful conduct). At this time, I don't believe Florida has, though the situation is fluid and I know it has been raised by the state legislature.

But either way, players aren't employees. They don't get paid. On that basis alone there will be a difference in how the law treats sick athletes exposed during a game vs. sick employees exposed at work.

Still an uphill battle for various reasons, but nowhere near as tricky as in an employer/employee context.

Advertisement
If it is based off future earnings, the liability could be enormous. Take GR as an example. If he is a projected top 10 pick, and his career is ended due to Covid, the liability would be $100M plus, I'd imagine.

This raises a question I've had for a few days, as I've seen it brought up on the boards that the university can purchase insurance for the athletes (whether it is for Covid, or just a career-ending injury like Makenzie Milton). Can the school actually purchase this insurance, or does the family have to purchase it? My thought was, if the school purchases it for 1 athlete, they'd have to purchase it for all. Anyone know the rule on this?

In the last three years, schools have been taking advantage of what amounts to a loophole in NCAA rules. Florida State, Oregon, Texas A&M and others have been using money from the NCAA's Student Assistance Fund to pay for premiums.

That fund is typically in the $300,000-350,000 range per school. Is it fair to every other scholarship athlete for the athletic department to spend $60,000 of that on one football player? That was the reported amount of Jameis Winston's premium at Florida State.

"I'm not comfortable having the Student Assistance Fund used for those things," said Bob Bowlsby, Big 12 commissioner and chairman of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee. "It's a very large premium, typically, and it takes away from other kids.

It's not just a "few people on here," man. It's America. As of late June, there were already about 3K covid-19 related lawsuits already filed in the US.
I’m not talking about every Covid situation out there. I’m talking about lawsuits related to college football specifically

I’m not talking about every Covid situation out there. I’m talking about lawsuits related to college football specifically
The point I was trying to illustrate is that America is a highly litigious society and people have already filed thousands of covid-19 lawsuits (including against their own employers). If games are played and players contract covid-19 and are hospitalized with permanent injury (or worse), there will be lawsuits. That's not having a rager for lawsuits, that's being honest about who America is as a society.

Now, whether those lawsuits are meritorious is an entirely different question.

Advertisement
Back