If this is all about lawsuits, why can't each conference just.....

troyskiles

[]_[] Forever
set aside about 7 mil per school and have a lawsuit fund of 100 mil? Would this not eve be close to the amount needed to cover a lawsuit or two from a school should something happen? Just wondering.
Go Canes!

Advertisement
You would need to get uncapped liability protection, which for a P5 school, would cost much more then $7M.

Of course, this is assuming that insurance companies will even provide coverage. I suspect many of these firms wont even take on the risk.

It's all about money football brings in and less about what could be paid out down the road over what would likely be a frivolous lawsuit with little merit. Generally you have to prove knowledge of an issue and willful neglect to get any kind of liability settlement.

If it is based off future earnings, the liability could be enormous. Take GR as an example. If he is a projected top 10 pick, and his career is ended due to Covid, the liability would be $100M plus, I'd imagine.

This raises a question I've had for a few days, as I've seen it brought up on the boards that the university can purchase insurance for the athletes (whether it is for Covid, or just a career-ending injury like Makenzie Milton). Can the school actually purchase this insurance, or does the family have to purchase it? My thought was, if the school purchases it for 1 athlete, they'd have to purchase it for all. Anyone know the rule on this?

Advertisement
There is a fairly well written policy allowing the players to opt out and also requiring the colleges and universities to cover all covid-19 related expenses a student-athlete may incur. This is also about bad optics. 👀. Media eats this **** up

Setting aside money like that is practically an admission of guilt.

“It’s completely safe but just in case here’s a giant wad of cash in case a bunch of kids end up all ****ed up.”

set aside about 7 mil per school and have a lawsuit fund of 100 mil? Would this not eve be close to the amount needed to cover a lawsuit or two from a school should something happen? Just wondering.
Go Canes!
You’d need way more than that. youre looking at a suit in the hundreds of millions

Setting aside money like that is practically an admission of guilt.

“It’s completely safe but just in case here’s a giant wad of cash in case a bunch of kids end up all ****ed up.”

Agree 100%

Also realistically, 100million would probably only cover ONE lawsuit by ONE good Philly lawyer....just saying

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree 100%

Also realistically, 100million would probably only cover ONE lawsuit by one good Philly lawyer....just saying
yup once you go future earnings along with medical bills, you can def see why college presidents are iffy.

fwiw -- the latest report from SI last night is that the ACC is essentially waiting on the b12. if the b12 (who is currently on the fence) decides to postpone/cancel then it could push ACC to postpone/cancel. g5s are taking cues from the p5. apparently, there is a medical report that is coming out today whenever the pac 12 meets.

It is more about liberal academia who don't give a **** about sports especially football.. you have no idea how much these f00ls hyperventilate in a normal season.... they would eliminate CFB if possible. ... I encountered enough of them even at the U with all our history.

Every time there was a scandal, these ivory tower maroons would want football disbanded.

They are scared of the lawsuits because they probably exceed the amount of money you have proposed... by a lot.

Advertisement
If it is based off future earnings, the liability could be enormous. Take GR as an example. If he is a projected top 10 pick, and his career is ended due to Covid, the liability would be $100M plus, I'd imagine.

This raises a question I've had for a few days, as I've seen it brought up on the boards that the university can purchase insurance for the athletes (whether it is for Covid, or just a career-ending injury like Makenzie Milton). Can the school actually purchase this insurance, or does the family have to purchase it? My thought was, if the school purchases it for 1 athlete, they'd have to purchase it for all. Anyone know the rule on this?
would these normal injury policies cover covid related "injuries?" the contract provisions would be important.

Go Canes!
Maybe it is about sickness, disease, & possible death. Maybe we can just buy out these minor intrusions to our lives. geeeeeez

Advertisement

this isnt about lawsuits and no one is going to held liable if he were to theoretically play and get COVID. He can opt out, like he did, and still keep his scholarship. and neither the schools or the NCAA would be considered negligent or liable when players can opt out if they wish, and they are testing you twice a week and isolating cases per CDC guidelines. they also dont have any inside knowledge of the virus that they are keeping from the athletes, like the NFL did with concussions.

You’d need way more than that. youre looking at a suit in the hundreds of millions
stop pumping your lawsuit hysteria. The NFL concussion lawsuit settled for $1 billion, and thats over decades of players. you think one year is anywhere close to the decades the NFL paid for, and a virus that NO ONE has all the answers about (and they can opt out if they feel the risk is too high) is even close to the same as withholding concussion/CTE data from players for decades?

Apparently more now about the Myocarditis side-effect angle, which plays into liability of course.

These players aren't forced to play or are they at risk from the game itself. How is someone allowed to file a lawsuit? If that was the case every employer that has people at work would be in the same position.

Advertisement
Back