If that's the defense we see the rest of the year...

This team is winning the coastal. Press coverage, man coverage, linebackers walking around disguising things, blitzes that didn't come from 7 yards back and delayed, a nice volume of blitzes. That might have been the best defensive game in Goldens tenure here. Now we just gotta stick with it.

Advertisement
I remember feeling the same way after UF

IJS

We didn't do anything drastically different against UF, they just sucked. All this is pointless if we don't stick with it, but it was nice to see some aggression from the defensive gameplan, and even nicer to see results from it.

I remember feeling the same way after UF

IJS

The signs we're there against Florida we just chose to ignore it. Turnovers from driskel is the reason we won that game. Tonight was the. Set defensive performance in the golden era which isn't sayinf much but holding a team to 260 and 10 points was something we couldn't seem to do against any fbs school

Advertisement
I'm not convinced yet. The offense shows up one game while the defense lays an egg. And then vice versa. This team is very capable of laying eggs on both sides of the ball in a game we should win. Can they win every game? Yes. Will they win every game? Highly unlikely.

While we did play more man coverage with the CBs at the line, our CBs are still being told to turn and run at the snap. I really wish they would try to jam the WR at the line to disrupt the timing of the play. Baby steps I guess. There's a difference between man coverage and bump and run man coverage. I prefer the latter

I thought all the deep attempts (especially the reversal that lead to a TD) would scare Dorito back into his shell, but they didn't. Maybe Dorito finally grew a pair. Lets just hope he didn't borrow a couple for one game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What you know with certainty is that a college team can't really reinvent themselves overnight. They don't have the time or the plays. We did a nice job of stopping the run and otherwise played a team that was very bad at passing and didn't have great athleticisim. When we play a team with the horses and a competent pass game, I doubt the defense will look radically different from before. Results will be based on execution, not some dramatic stylistic change under the same coordinator.

If that is the defense we stick too. We have a chance to win 6 out of the 7 for sure. But it must stick. Then FSU is a toss up every year no matter what.

What you know with certainty is that a college team can't really reinvent themselves overnight. They don't have the time or the plays. We did a nice job of stopping the run and otherwise played a team that was very bad at passing and didn't have great athleticisim. When we play a team with the horses and a competent pass game, I doubt the defense will look radically different from before. Results will be based on execution, not some dramatic stylistic change under the same coordinator.

I don't think it's a matter of reinventing yourself, but rather adjusting to what the opposition can't do. Nebraska wasn't a passing threat but we defended them as such. That's why we got gashed. Golden doesn't trust his players! Either that or he and Dino are the dumbest ******** in college football.

Advertisement

A team with a competent qb would have done damage last night. Duke had guys running free a lot last night. Our DBS are not especially fast except burns and since we don't jam at the line it makes it hard to keep up. I don't think it was a change per se. These plays are in the book, just need to have confidence to call them.

I don't think it's a matter of reinventing yourself, but rather adjusting to what the opposition can't do. Nebraska wasn't a passing threat but we defended them as such. That's why we got gashed. Golden doesn't trust his players! Either that or he and Dino are the dumbest ******** in college football.

I agree we can't change our scheme radically, but we seemed to change philosophically. I think we saw some of that last night, but time will tell if this was an aberration or legitimate change.

Last edited:
The look on Dnos face when the espn camera panned to him while he was in the press box after the game was priceless. Call me a lame, but I was actually happy for the guy. U can tell he was coaching for his life last night and the look of relief on his face was priceless.

Advertisement
The problem is that most of what we saw last night is not Al's defense. A couple time Mark reverted to their base belief system and Duke immediately started marching. That passive, give them 8 yards attitude is the staff's default style. Just like friggin Coley and those stupid WR screens. Not matter how many times they don't work, or no matter how many long TD drives we give up, Al, Mark, and Coley are more interested in THEIR way than winning. All that siad, it was so frigging nice to see some sticking and hitting last night. Players rose to outshine the staff. IF staff can forget its DNA the rest of the year and coaching to the our talent level instead of down to milk cows, we can contend with anyone. Love the D last night.

The problem is that most of what we saw last night is not Al's defense. A couple time Mark reverted to their base belief system and Duke immediately started marching. That passive, give them 8 yards attitude is the staff's default style. Just like friggin Coley and those stupid WR screens. No matter how many times they don't work, or no matter how many long TD drives we give up, Al, Mark, and Coley are more interested in THEIR way than winning. All that siad, it was so frigging nice to see some sticking and hitting last night. Players rose to outshine the staff. IF staff can forget its DNA the rest of the year and coaching to the our talent level instead of down to milk cows, we can contend with anyone. Love the D last night.

There is 3 and a half years of truth in that statement.......

I thought all the deep attempts (especially the reversal that lead to a TD) would scare Dorito back into his shell, but they didn't. Maybe Dorito finally grew a pair. Lets just hope he didn't borrow a couple for one game.

He did revert at one point and Duke immediately went on long TD drive running for 6 and 8 a pop. It is staff's DNA default reaction unfortunately. Not sure they can fight it off for even a whole game, not less week after week. We probably need AD to walk though the coaches rooms every post game with a bunch of pink slips in his hand and let them see him put them back in his pocket--saving them for next week. Staff needs to live in fear of immediate dismissal.

A lot of em are Madden players bro they wouldn't get the term "execution" if it smacked em in the face..speakin on deaf ears bro

Advertisement
Back