If Michael Irvin was standing right in front of you..

Advertisement
I'd ask him why should I take him seriously when he said just the other day that we were ranked as high as 5th this past year. We were actually ranked 7th and it wasn't last year but the year before. And then I'd ask him what our record was this past year and the year before. Reason being is I don't think he's following the program as closely as people assume and his opinion on Golden is more personal in nature.

If Michael Irvin was standing right in front of you, looked you in the eye, and said this to you..

I thought [keeping Golden] was the right move, and guys, I've said this over and over again and I'll say it here again: Al Golden—Coach Al Golden—has earned this opportunity, has earned the right to see this through. With what he's done, to jump there and fight, that was not his fight, and he stayed through the fight. He recruited well and he kept us in the fight.

We started a freshman quarterback. Where's the smarts? Tell me this: Where's the smarts in saying, 'Hey freshman, we know we started you. We know you learned a lot. But right now we're going to snatch all of that from under you and make you start all over again next year.'
It would be absolutely stupid, absolutely ignorant to do it to him, so it would be absolutely the right thing to let this man get one more year to finish and make it right. Building a championship takes time and there's a process to it. And we're in the midst, I think, of a very good process.
And I surely hope that people, in Miami, can calm their asses down and let the process see itself through.

how would you respond?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-calm-their-asses-down-over-coach-al-golden

It's funny cause I had something like this happen to me right around Christmas time up on Orlando...granted I ran into the brother of Blake James and not someone like Michael Irvin himself but the excuse/garbage/reasoning was pretty much the same.

I'd tell Irvin pretty much the same thing I told Blake James brother that night...that Golden is the worst coach in the history of program and should have been fired a year ago. Every day he remains on the job is a smack in the face to every Canes fan with any semblance of intelligence.

So you'd obviously buy the contract out 15 minutes ago (if not sooner) just to get rid of him without any considerations of other possible ramifications.. correct?
I'm just making sure I understand where your considerations are.

If Michael Irvin was standing right in front of you, looked you in the eye, and said this to you..

I thought [keeping Golden] was the right move, and guys, I've said this over and over again and I'll say it here again: Al Golden—Coach Al Golden—has earned this opportunity, has earned the right to see this through. With what he's done, to jump there and fight, that was not his fight, and he stayed through the fight. He recruited well and he kept us in the fight.

We started a freshman quarterback. Where's the smarts? Tell me this: Where's the smarts in saying, 'Hey freshman, we know we started you. We know you learned a lot. But right now we're going to snatch all of that from under you and make you start all over again next year.'
It would be absolutely stupid, absolutely ignorant to do it to him, so it would be absolutely the right thing to let this man get one more year to finish and make it right. Building a championship takes time and there's a process to it. And we're in the midst, I think, of a very good process.
And I surely hope that people, in Miami, can calm their asses down and let the process see itself through.

how would you respond?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-calm-their-asses-down-over-coach-al-golden

It's funny cause I had something like this happen to me right around Christmas time up on Orlando...granted I ran into the brother of Blake James and not someone like Michael Irvin himself but the excuse/garbage/reasoning was pretty much the same.

I'd tell Irvin pretty much the same thing I told Blake James brother that night...that Golden is the worst coach in the history of program and should have been fired a year ago. Every day he remains on the job is a smack in the face to every Canes fan with any semblance of intelligence.

So you'd obviously buy the contract out 15 minutes ago (if not sooner) just to get rid of him without any considerations of other possible ramifications.. correct?

I would have fired him BEFORE the Penn State rejection he suffered. It was clear, to me at least, that he was a horrible gameday coach and a fraud.

You don't make a decision in any walk of life based on a sunk cost...much less a sunk cost this idiotic, incompetent administration self inflicted upon themselves by EXTENDING A HEAD COACH AFTER A 6 LOSS SEASON. It's their responsibility to fix a mistake THEY made.

Money shouldn't even be a factor right now . They have the balls to attempt to cite something like "300 million reinvested into the program" as part of some asinine campaign which reeks of a desperate attempt to save face. Well if that's the case...a 6, 8, 10 or whatever million dollar buyout shouldn't be material. Even if it is...you risk hurting the brand and program in a way far greater than the aforementioned quantified amount.

This is simply a case of incompetent decision makers who don't care about football doing what they do....nothing of substance to help the program.

Same story it's been for the last decade. Three straight ****** coaching staffs, all 3 prematurely extended, and in all 3 cases they took too long to fire the respective head coach. We easily have the worst administration in all of major division 1 college sports.

how would you respond?

I would have fired him BEFORE the Penn State rejection he suffered. It was clear, to me at least, that he was a horrible gameday coach and a fraud.

You don't make a decision in any walk of life based on a sunk cost...much less a sunk cost this idiotic, incompetent administration self inflicted upon themselves by EXTENDING A HEAD COACH AFTER A 6 LOSS SEASON. It's their responsibility to fix a mistake THEY made.

Money shouldn't even be a factor right now . They have the balls to attempt to cite something like "300 million reinvested into the program" as part of some asinine campaign which reeks of a desperate attempt to save face. Well if that's the case...a 6, 8, 10 or whatever million dollar buyout shouldn't be material. Even if it is...you risk hurting the brand and program in a way far greater than the aforementioned quantified amount.

This is simply a case of incompetent decision makers who don't care about football doing what they do....nothing of substance to help the program.

Same story it's been for the last decade. Three straight ****ty coaching staffs, all 3 prematurely extended, and in all 3 cases they took too long to fire the respective head coach. We easily have the worst administration in all of major division 1 college sports.
Top admin wise I don't and haven't disagreed on that being where the mistakes have been made. My concern is fixing it and doing so in the best most professional manner possible. Not for me or any one individual, but for the university and the program. If for no other reason than to salvage some shred of dignity that there may be left. Then along with it allow them to show the world that they really do want to 1) most importantly make sure the program is run the "right" way 2) make the program successful and 3) show the outside world they are not just about a "win at all costs program" (as many other major universities are). I just don't feel you can wipe the mud off of your face with a dirty rag. And not giving this situation a full and complete opportunity to play itself out IMO risks having the university lose even more credibility across the board than they really have already lost by the mistakes they've made to this point.
:neonu:

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

how would you respond?

Same story it's been for the last decade. Three straight ****ty coaching staffs, all 3 prematurely extended, and in all 3 cases they took too long to fire the respective head coach. We easily have the worst administration in all of major division 1 college sports.
Top admin wise I don't and haven't disagreed on that being where the mistakes have been made. My concern is fixing it and doing so in the best most professional manner possible. Not for me or any one individual, but for the university and the program. If for no other reason than to salvage some shred of dignity that there may be left. Then along with it allow them to show the world that they really do want to 1) most importantly make sure the program is run the "right" way 2) make the program successful and 3) show the outside world they are not just about a "win at all costs program" (as many other major universities are). I just don't feel you can wipe the mud off of your face with a dirty rag. And not giving this situation a full and complete opportunity to play itself out IMO risks having the university lose even more credibility across the board than they really have already lost by the mistakes they've made to this point.

There's nothing to think about or ponder at this point. It's very very very simple.

Every day Golden stays here hurts the program. They need to fire the worst coach in the history of the program as soon as possible.

Period.

The issue I see here for Mike is he doesn't want to go blasting Golden as he is trying to send his son Mike Jr. here.

He's kind of stuck in the middle.

Although I feel he should have never shared or said anything.

I guess I can see that, though Irvin has made it clear that Jr is coming "no matter what"....though he is going to let his son make his own choice...lol.

I find it hard to believe that a new competent coaching staff would change that....

UM

how would you respond?

Is that you, Al? Or Donna? Or ole Foote? Please, Donna ripped all dignity from our school with the nevin check photo. The BOT looks so inept at this point that one wonders why family members have not tried to place them under court supervision for their own self-protection. This is big time football which is big time business and these people are horrible. Far beyond the mere fan issues, they have made financial decisions that should have fiduciary liabilities for them. They are horrible enough managers to qualify for federal office.

I'd say something like this....

"Alright, let's give him one more year. Now, if we don't see REAL progress, and I don't mean a slightly better W/L record with an easier schedule, will YOU agree that a change needs to be made?"

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back