If Mario brings about major improvement from our last bunch of coaches...

The table was

or quite frankly, primarily the ACC…

Regardless, it really was the Saban appearance at Alabama that exploded salaries that left Miami far behind, even with Richt making that HUGE $4 mill plus 8 years after that was top end.

Yes, you are correct. Saban, specifically, and the boom in conference profit-sharing in the SEC and Big 10, generally. Once those three turds hit the fan, Miami fell far behind.

I just wanted to point out, Shalala wasn't "anti-fair-market" at the beginning of her tenure. Plus, she TRIED to help UM (financially) by pushing for us to get into the ACC. It wasn't all her fault that the former ACC commissioner tied us into a crap deal with Jefferson Pilot because his son worked at JP.

Yes, at a certain point, we began to economize in Athletics. But that was not the "original plan". Donna and Dee and Kirby and The Shermanator and Beta Blake all, collectively, were slow to react to the changing college sports landscape. Bad management? Yes. Evil human beings? Not so much (except for Beta Blake).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Name one beyond Mark Richt that made at or north of $4 mill?

Shalala made it known when Butch left, that UM was not going to spend on head coaching beyond a certain mark, and she was a man of her word in seeking to limit our program.
Well she was a Man to begin with....Just sayin.....

Well she was a Man to begin with....Just sayin.....
5DD5AF63-1D50-48CD-9331-D9B3442E5322.gif

Many head coaches have incentives worked into their contracts. Division wins, conference championships, making the playoffs, and winning titles have always been spelled out and well-compensated for coach Saban and his contacts at Alabama. The HC should be totally responsible for quality control. We've had numerous coaches that suddenly find work somewhere else and we've had coordinators that have been demoted during the season. That's quality control.

As far as contracts and money paid out, college football is big business with a ton of fun money available for one and all. No one can regulate free enterprise. The other aspect to coaches getting paid bigtime is that you want to slow down, not stop, but slow down, some of the pillagering of the coaching staff that is constantly going on at successful football programs. So you give them big titles like assistant head coach and at times some of these position coaches have 2 or 3 titles and some make much more than the market rate, all in hopes that smaller schools and competition can't swoop down and offer more money even though they may offer a higher position.

Great coaches aren't a dime a dozen and once you get them into your system and they can recruit and have proven themselves you really have to do everything you can to keep them. Even to gladly overpay.
If memory serves...

Saban has automatic escalator clauses:

Whatever is higher based on
1) Top 3 in SEC
2) Top 5 coaching salaries nationally*

Or something similar as I am too lazy to go back and look it up...

*obviously USC, Miami, and others are private schools and shielded from disclosure

Advertisement
Yes, you are correct. Saban, specifically, and the boom in conference profit-sharing in the SEC and Big 10, generally. Once those three turds hit the fan, Miami fell far behind.

I just wanted to point out, Shalala wasn't "anti-fair-market" at the beginning of her tenure. Plus, she TRIED to help UM by pushing for us to get into the ACC. It wasn't all her fault that the former ACC commissioner tied us into a crap deal with Jefferson Pilot because his son worked at JP.

Yes, at a certain point, we began to economize in Athletics. But that was not the "original plan". Donna and Dee and Kirby and The Shermanator and Beta Blake all, collectively, were slow to react to the changing college sports landscape. Bad management? Yes. Evil human beings? Not so much (except for Beta Blake).
I can’t find it now, but she in fact WAS quoted as saying at one point “this University will never pay more than $2 million a year for a head coach”

She may have exceeded that with Golden, but not by too much.

I can’t find it now, but she in fact WAS quoted as saying at one point “this University will never pay more than $2 million a year for a head coach”

And people wonder why Butch ran to Cleveland for a 3yr 12 million payday...(with numerous incentives)

Look, I hear you, I'm not trying to turn every Shalala-hater into a Shalala-lover.

And, yes, it's a ridiculous statement to EVER include the word "never" in a discussion of salaries in a salary-inflationary market.

But if Coker had performed (under his new contract) as he had in his prior years, then the "never" comment would have been obliterated just a few years after she said it.

Neither Shannon nor Golden had either the resume or the accomplishments to get "Coker money". If they won more games, they would have broken that elusive $2 million glass ceiling that Donna built.

Advertisement
In all fairness, Tad Foote was the one who underpaid Butch. Aided and abetted by the Trustees that he appointed for 20 years.
Foote was on his way out....Shalala wanted Alvarez...before the players marched into Dee's office....And don't get me started on Dee....I keep hearing how Dee (supposedly) fought for Butch, (on this board) which is a crock of sh*t....The ONLY people who fought for Butch during his tenure were The late Leonard Miller (Who realistically hired Butch) his Son Stu Miller, and Paul Dimare....if I said anything that's remotely false, @Brooklyndee will tell you everything I stated is 100% FACT.

So basically Miami had the money to keep Butch but didn’t want to pay him, that sucks because we’d have at lease 2 more chips by now, and probably more than that.

If memory serves...

Saban has automatic escalator clauses:

Whatever is higher based on
1) Top 3 in SEC
2) Top 5 coaching salaries nationally*

Or something similar as I am too lazy to go back and look it up...

*obviously USC, Miami, and others are private schools and shielded from disclosure
That's pretty much on it. Coach Saban recently signed an extension in August of 2021. His base salary will remain $275,000. His talent fee for 2020-21 was $8.425 million and will continue to grow at a rate of $400,000 annually. It will reach $11.225 million in the final year of the extension. With his base salary and talent fee, he is set to make $11.5 million in 2028-29.

Coach Saban was set to become the first college coach at the time to reach $10 million in annual recurring compensation during this contract in 2023-24. He will also receive an $800,000 completion benefit each year through 2025 upon finishing each season.

Since that short time, USC threw the bank at Lincoln Riley for 10 million plus incentives. And LSU did pretty much the same with Brian Kelly. Mel Tucker and Jimbo Fisher are right there. Overall, I still suspect coach Saban feels well taken care of.

So basically Miami had the money to keep Butch but didn’t want to pay him, that sucks because we’d have at lease 2 more chips by now, and probably more than that.
Sure they did....he should have been given the keys to Coral Gables after the Miracle he performed....Lol at not taking a 3yr 12 million dollar contract with Cleveland...more than double the salary UM offered....

Advertisement
His case was even that is too high for most. Coaches like Manny (not to pick on him specifically, but b/c he is a good example and one we are all familiar with) should not be making $4M per year. Tony Elliot as a first time head coach should not be making $4.1M at UVA.

He has always had this stance (which I agree with), but in this case it was part of a larger discussion of what would happen to coaches salaries if money previously donated to athletic departments is now going to NIL - will the salaries of 'replacement level' coaches continue to rise or will it stagnate and potentially fall?
I would think salaries would continue to climb. There's so much money in college football that people are still willing to spend more to achieve any tiny advantage. As long as the sport is dominated by a few teams, I think you have a situation where everybody else will keep trying to outbid each other for the best coaches not on one of those teams. Se we'll continue to see anybody with a pulse getting paid more and more money for being above average.

Or the bottom drops out tomorrow. Either way.

That's pretty much on it. Coach Saban recently signed an extension in August of 2021. His base salary will remain $275,000. His talent fee for 2020-21 was $8.425 million and will continue to grow at a rate of $400,000 annually. It will reach $11.225 million in the final year of the extension. With his base salary and talent fee, he is set to make $11.5 million in 2028-29.

Coach Saban was set to become the first college coach at the time to reach $10 million in annual recurring compensation during this contract in 2023-24. He will also receive an $800,000 completion benefit each year through 2025 upon finishing each season.

Since that short time, USC threw the bank at Lincoln Riley for 10 million plus incentives. And LSU did pretty much the same with Brian Kelly. Mel Tucker and Jimbo Fisher are right there. Overall, I still suspect coach Saban feels well taken care of.
Maybe. Or maybe he rightly thinks he's the coach with by far the best track record and should therefore be making the most money.

Foote was on his way out....Shalala wanted Alvarez...before the players marched into Dee's office....And don't get me started on Dee....I keep hearing how Dee (supposedly) fought for Butch, (on this board) which is a crock of sh*t....The ONLY people who fought for Butch during his tenure were The late Leonard Miller (Who realistically hired Butch) his Son Stu Miller, and Paul Dimare....if I said anything that's remotely false, @Brooklyndee will tell you everything I stated is 100% FACT.

Yep, I know that about Dee. You know, I've told you, I have mixed feelings on Dee. There were some things he did that I liked, and other things (not supporting Butch) that I hated. I agree that he was a good administrator, but he got damned lucky on coach-hirings.

And I agree that Shalala wanted Alvarez, but that's because of her past connections. At least it is UNDERSTANDABLE. It would have been the wrong move, but you could see why she could advocate for that. Randy too, to be honest. I'm completely bumfuzzled on how we picked Golden, though.

Advertisement

Uhhh, for the most part. And for the record, we've always had "the money", but not always had THE WILL to part with the money.

I will never dispute @SWFLHurricane or Butch directly. I think we SHOULD HAVE offered Butch more salary, but I think the offer AT THE TIME was at least Top 10 competitive (though we were slow to offer it), and I also think that many people have pointed to the buyout as being the biggest deal-point that was problematic. I think Butch had to pay a lot to get out of the contract, but that Miami could fire him with almost no $$$ repercussions.

Uhhh, for the most part. And for the record, we've always had "the money", but not always had THE WILL to part with the money.

I will never dispute @SWFLHurricane or Butch directly. I think we SHOULD HAVE offered Butch more salary, but I think the offer AT THE TIME was at least Top 10 competitive (though we were slow to offer it), and I also think that many people have pointed to the buyout as being the biggest deal-point that was problematic. I think Butch had to pay a lot to get out of the contract, but that Miami could fire him with almost no $$$ repercussions.
Yup...and again...not to reiterate, but who (in 2001) would've turned down 12 million (and incentives) for 3yrs??....After what Butch went through from 95-2000, he deserved alot more than Top 10 in pay....NOBODY in America wanted the UM job except him....He built the GOAT FB team under ridiculous sanctions, and in my opinion should have been the Highest paid HC in America. It's now 2022...and all these yrs later not one coach has been able to touch the amount of talent that Butch accumulated....and they have had the benefit of having Zero sanctions...and entire Banks backing them up.

Yep, I know that about Dee. You know, I've told you, I have mixed feelings on Dee. There were some things he did that I liked, and other things (not supporting Butch) that I hated. I agree that he was a good administrator, but he got damned lucky on coach-hirings.

And I agree that Shalala wanted Alvarez, but that's because of her past connections. At least it is UNDERSTANDABLE. It would have been the wrong move, but you could see why she could advocate for that. Randy too, to be honest. I'm completely bumfuzzled on how we picked Golden, though.
Hated Dee...wouldn't even acknowledge him as I passed him countless times at Hecht...Once a Gator...always a Gator....

Is the "talent fee" a mechanism to comply (ok..circumvent) Alabama State employee policies or "sunshine law" transparency, reporting, salary limits, etc?

Advertisement
Back