If Cristobal or Fuente is hired...

canefanforlife1

Sophomore
I might loose my ****. Um has a chance to make a home run hire on a few guys. If we settle for one of these two, especially Cristobal, It will be another 4-5 years wasted.

IMO this is um's last shot to hit the nail on the head.

Advertisement
Idk man. I'm high on Feunte. He actually beating teams with a heart beat.

Cristobal regressed at FIU. No thanks.

How is Fuente getting mentioned with crystal balls and Al?

Dude has nothing in common with them, nothing.

I really get amazed by some if you guys, do you even watch football?

Not fair to throw Fuente in there with a guy that got fired from a Sun Belt school. I'm personally against hiring an "up and comer" but Fuente or Herman would be a 100x better hire than Luigi.

Advertisement
Fuente would be a home-run hire imo. Didn't have much to work with in his first two years after inheriting a horrible team. Then won 10 games, the most in school's history, last year and is currently undefeated and the #16 in the country. He has a history of being apart of great offenses and helping develop QBs, see Paxton Lynch and Andy Dalton. The question is will he hire a legit DC?

Fuente would be a good hire.

No comparison at all with Golden. People are reaching with that.

Memphis has beaten who ? Missouri State, Tulsa, Tulane, and lets not forget mighty Kansas.

give us a freakin break.

Memphis has beaten who ? Missouri State, Tulsa, Tulane, and lets not forget mighty Kansas.

give us a freakin break.

They also beat a top 15 Ole Miss team...

You are comparing a guy who is 18-4 in his last 22 games in a Mid-Major conference to a guy who was 8-14 in his last 22 games in the sun belt. A guy with a top 15 P5 win to a guy that beat one team with a winning record in 6 years as a HC.

It's not a comparison.

Advertisement
Fuente is not my favorite option. I don't think he has the killer instinct to be a great fit here. However, he's a **** good coach that wouldn't be a bad hire. Cristobal is trash. See the difference? Herman is the up and comer to get.

Fuente is not my favorite option. I don't think he has the killer instinct to be a great fit here. However, he's a **** good coach that wouldn't be a bad hire. Cristobal is trash. See the difference? Herman is the up and comer to get.

I agree, Tom would kill it in south Florida... Get the right DC here, watch out... Herman looks to me, has a chip on his shoulder, a little swag when he walks up and down the sidelines. Personally, just my opinion, he kind of reminds me of a young Jimmy Johnson... again, JMO!!

First, don't mention Fuente and Wario in the same sentence. That, right there, says a lot about your judgement. Second, I'd pay money to see you loose your ****.

For those bashing Fuente, I'm not really sure what more people want to see. The Memphis program he took over was one of the worst in America. Google Larry Porter if you need more info on that. Memphis was 5-31, 2-22 in C-USA in the 3 years before he got there. He was left with absolutely no talent. Trust me, I know this as I follow Tulane, and they were in C-USA with Memphis. It was a joke. Memphis was getting 15-20,000 fans (announced) per game. Memphis was a basketball school, first, second and third. Aside from Memphis basketball, most Memphis students were Tennessee football fans. Heck, when they played Tennessee in Memphis the year before Fuente got there, only 39,000 people showed up in the Liberty Bowl and 38,999 were UT fans. They only drew 33,000 for a ranked Mississippi State team, and MSU is VERY close to Memphis, so it was likely 75% MSU fans.

He went 4-8, 4-4 in his first year. Winning more conference games than Memphis won over the past 3 years, with no one on his roster. The next year they moved up to the AAC, and with a still pretty bare roster, went 3-9, 1-7, but 3 of those losses were by 7 points or less, and 5 of the losses were by 14 points or less. In 2014, with more of his players, they went 10-3, 7-1, won the American and finished the year ranked #25 . Their losses were to [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 0[/URL] Ole Miss, [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 1[/URL] UCLA (by 7 at the Rose Bowl) and to Houston by 4. This year his team started 8-0, 4-0 before losing to Navy. They were ranked as high as [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 3[/URL] . They whipped then [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 3[/URL] Ole Miss 37-24. They just lost to Navy, and potatoes have been ripping him. Ok, should they have lost to Navy? Maybe not, but does anyone realize how good Navy is? Navy is 7-1, 5-0 in the American and is ranked #22 . Their only loss was at Notre Dame.

Fuente has revitalized the program, and basically built it from scratch (and did a whole **** of a lot more than Golden did at Temple, so leave that out). The fanbase is back too. Memphis got 41,000 for their opener against a I-AA school, 45,000 for Cincinnati, 60,000 for Ole Miss, 30,000 for Tulane (on Halloween night), and 55,000 for Navy.

Lastly, there are those who say he plays no defense. Well, last year his AAC championship team had a good defense. They gave up 17 points per game last year before his DC was hired away to Missouri. This year they took a major step back, but based on what they did last year, I'm fine with him, and I'm convinced we wouldn't be counting on just beating teams 66-59.

He's not #1 on my list, but to discount him because you don't know any better, or think Memphis is Western Michigan, is a joke.

Last edited:
Can you potatoes please not mention any decent coach with Cristobal?

They have nothing in common except they both coach.

Fuente is intriguing as an option

Advertisement
Advertisement
Fuente lucked into a nfl qb. He didn't win at memphis until lynch emerged last year. Herman is way better than feunte.

I think we're in pretty good shape... Whoever the heck takes over, needs to emphasize bringing in some good quality OL'men and coach them up!!

When I look at this team, it kills me that Golden couldn't figure out that we needed at least some consulting help in the area of OFFENSIVE blocking - since Kehoe wasn't getting it done! Across the board, from our OL to TE's these guys consistently fail to get the job done.

They can't keep their feet and/or stay in front of the person they're blocking for anything!! And getting a push at the point of attack? Forget about it.

Advertisement
Back