I'd love to know what Pete or D$ are hearing from inside

I'm afraid that Richt views his Offense the same way Alf views his Defense - it's not the scheme, it's the players. This doesn't bode well for us.

And you know this how?

Because he continues to handoff up the middle in stacked boxes, gets stopped and goes back to it as opposed to taking what the defense is giving him. He's determined to force the game his way...that's how.

I'm just curious here. But do most of yall understand the majority of these handoffs up the middle as you call them are actually rpo & it's Kaaya pretty snap reads that have him handing the ball off...

Don't agree with you here, brotha. Those happy feet and the ghosts he's seeing may have something to do with the difference between a live DL and not. I saw what you saw in fall practices. He looked clean. He looked calm. He went through progressions. He was also wearing a protective jersey.

Something has to explain why he's suddenly spooked, and this is as good a guess as any. It might not be the sole cause, but it's a fair educated guess as to the incredible difference.

Advertisement
Not sure about this "stacked box" myth.

Kayaa is given two reads on the RPOs... 1) is the OLB/nickel CB pinched inside or straight up on slot WR? 2) where's the SS

These are the only 2 factors that Kayaa is reading pre snap on an RPO. Teams have been stuffing our run game with 6 or 7 in the box. Even when Kayaa makes the correct read Walton just runs into the back of his blockers, essentially tackling himself. We need an upgrade at RB for Richt's offense to work (see Moreno, Gurley, Michel, Chubb, etc)

And as a side note, Richt said in an interview after FSU that we would move away from rpo's a little bit and just run what's called from the sideline.

Last edited:

Kayaa is given two reads on the RPOs... 1) is the OLB/nickel CB pinched inside or straight up on slot WR? 2) where's the SS

These are the only 2 factors that Kayaa is reading pre snap on an RPO. Teams have been stuffing our run game with 6 or 7 in the box. Even when Kayaa makes the correct read Walton just runs into the back of his blockers, essentially tackling himself. We need an upgrade at RB for Richt's offense to work (see Moreno, Gurley, Michel, Chubb, etc)

And as a side note, Richt said in an interview after FSU that we would move away from rpo's a little bit and just run what's called from the sideline.

We need an upgrade along the offensive line to make Richt's offense work.

I'm not as close to the team as either of them, but Kaaya did not look like this in Fall practice. The offense did not look as disjointed and erratic during scrimmage play. The passes were far more accurate and the playcalls (formations, sets, etc.) weren't so much of a grab bag.

I was therefore hopeful, but as you can ask D$ and look back on certain posts, I mentioned one concern:

Kaaya still had to show the ability to extend plays within the pocket by climbing and moving laterally against a live DL. Our one TD drive yesterday shows the difference between a couple extra ticks created by a QB. You don't need to be a runner. You need subtle movements to create a tiny extension of the play.

Lu, in the Army, we had guys who while on the practice range were very good shots.

But in combat, once bullets were coming and going - they were useless. One near-miss, and USELESS.

I think he's shook.

I'm afraid that Richt views his Offense the same way Alf views his Defense - it's not the scheme, it's the players. This doesn't bode well for us.

And you know this how?

Because he continues to handoff up the middle in stacked boxes, gets stopped and goes back to it as opposed to taking what the defense is giving him. He's determined to force the game his way...that's how.

I'm just curious here. But do most of yall understand the majority of these handoffs up the middle as you call them are actually rpo & it's Kaaya pretty snap reads that have him handing the ball off...

Don't agree with you here, brotha. Those happy feet and the ghosts he's seeing may have something to do with the difference between a live DL and not. I saw what you saw in fall practices. He looked clean. He looked calm. He went through progressions. He was also wearing a protective jersey.

Something has to explain why he's suddenly spooked, and this is as good a guess as any. It might not be the sole cause, but it's a fair educated guess as to the incredible difference.

Valid point. In practice even though he was live he was never allowed to get drilled. Now he's getting drilled on **** near every passing down. Can't discard what that does to a players psyche. What really baffles me is he's always been such a smart quarterback. I don't understand why all of a sudden he's so lost pre snap. He can't identify what's going on. **** near every team shows 7 in the box then crashed dbs at the snap. Why can't he spot that or at least run outside the box. He does have the freedom to audible into a similar call.

Advertisement

I don't think it's a myth. I don't have statistics on it so I can't offer you percentages, but from memory I see them run into a Safety dropped down from 2-deep on occasion. They don't *only* run out of the RPO. I realize it's a lot. I realize who he's reading in the RPO. He's gotten some good stuff out of that in the passing game. Walton is no doubt getting only what's been blocked and sometimes less. Like I said in my main review, it's not one thing.

I'm not as close to the team as either of them, but Kaaya did not look like this in Fall practice. The offense did not look as disjointed and erratic during scrimmage play. The passes were far more accurate and the playcalls (formations, sets, etc.) weren't so much of a grab bag.

I was therefore hopeful, but as you can ask D$ and look back on certain posts, I mentioned one concern:

Kaaya still had to show the ability to extend plays within the pocket by climbing and moving laterally against a live DL. Our one TD drive yesterday shows the difference between a couple extra ticks created by a QB. You don't need to be a runner. You need subtle movements to create a tiny extension of the play.

Lu, in the Army, we had guys who while on the practice range were very good shots.

But in combat, once bullets were coming and going - they were useless. One near-miss, and USELESS.

I think he's shook.

It's the same in the Marine Corps. So I agree with this 100%.

And you know this how?

I think Kaaya has fooled both staffs by being a very good practice QB where he knows no one can touch him but come game time vs the good teams he is no where near that same efficient QB the coaches see in practice.

Advertisement
The O-line has been good the past couple years. This year however the play calling hasn't helped

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Richt inability to "masked" the deficiencies of the O line is most disappointing

He is still calling plays like we are playing the likes of FAMU and FAU

Do the offensive coaches share or understand our concerns after the last 2 weeks? Any chance things will change?

See, more coaches would have success if they just listened to the fans. I'm glad someone finally came out and said this. Our offensive staff probably thinks everything is fine. You think maybe you could call them up over at Hecht and tell them what everyone here is saying?

What offensive coaches? You will have to speak directly to CMR! If anyone thinks Thomas Brown is worthy of Co Offensive Coordinator needs a lobotomy! Don't take my word for it check his resume. All of sudden an offensive mind jaggernaut! Decent to good RBs coach not a play caller! Jon Richt well no comment!

Advertisement
And you know this how?

I think Kaaya has fooled both staffs by being a very good practice QB where he knows no one can touch him but come game time vs the good teams he is no where near that same efficient QB the coaches see in practice.

Kaaya has fooled both staffs with his excellence in practice? Neither staff saw him in games?

Richt inability to "masked" the deficiencies of the O line is most disappointing

Usually can't mask what you call deficiency. A deficiency would be our left tackle having average footwork. Our gaurds aren't quite athletic enough to pull. Those are deficiencies. Our reality is they all suck & can't do any part of there job from one play to the next.

Kaaya has fooled both staffs with his excellence in practice? Neither staff saw him in games?

Kaaya didn't fool anyone. He was what he was. Don't forget, when Ryan Williams got hurt, Coley and Golden were stuck with getting a true freshman ready for the opener with Louisville on the road. They sacrificed his long term development by implementing a scheme he was familiar with in high school. As he in that scheme, they rode with it. He never got the development, training and support need to run the offense Richt is trying to install. All of his draft projections were based on potential ... they saw Kayaa making plays even without the proper development in fundamentals.

All that changed at Clemson. After he got clocked, he hasn't been quite the same. All QBs, if they play long enough, eventually get their bell rung. It's happened to Montana, Marino, Elway, Brady, you name it. And after such an event, people revert back to what they are comfortable and familiar with. While they were able to get back on their feet, Kaaya's lack of grounding in fundamentals became apparent.

When Howard was hired and said he was going to implement a pro style offense, there was a lot of skepticsm whether it was possible to do it successfully on the college level given the limited practice time (even back then) available to work with students. Howard responded by dedicating a coach to work just with QBs (Earl Morrell). And all QBs (except for Jim Kelly out of necessity) had to redshirt to learn the basics. Now we're expecting people to play as true freshman and without the proper one-on-one coaching (I don't remember when we had a true QB coach). Instead, we have Jon Richt, who may be a fine coach, but I'm sorry, he hasn't been through the wars as someone like Morrell had. It's an awful lot to ask.

At this point, I'm getting the sense that once he graduates, Kayaa is going to have a long career if he ends up on a team with an established QB, that finally gives him the time to develop.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back