I TOLD YOU ITS HAPPENING

He's a very good but not great coach. Perfect fit at Wazzu or Tex Tech where he can win 8 games a year (with the occasional 10 win season) and they're content with that. I guarantee he would be the same 8 win (with the occasional 10 win season) coach no matter where he's at. He would be an upgrade at Tennessee or LSU or Nebraska compared to what they have now, but would their fanbases be content with that? Probably not.

Advertisement
Great offensive mind. Great offensive coach. Is he a great head football coach? Has yet to prove this.

Limited by his ego, continual brashness, and lack of social filter.

Would eventually say or do something to distract everyone, including his own team, from the task at hand. Has a history of this. Also has a history of inexplicable losses.

The pirate finally figured out he actually DID need a defense on his team and has a pretty good one this year.That Apple Cup( I think that’s what they call it) at the end of the year with UW might be for a trip to the playoffs this year cause I don’t think anyone in the south can beat either one of them.

He'd be a good fit at UCLA. Better access to talent and a fan base with fewer of the meddling traditionalist whiny anti-Leach types.

He'll get a nosebleed from his sucess and ***** something up on or off the field. It's in his DNA.

Advertisement
Mike Leach haters are some of the stupidest most ill-motivated people you'll find. Always desperately hoping that he doesn't get a chance at a place where he can recruit so they can maintain the illusion that he couldn't win there.

I'm a mike leach hater.. like I said he's a coach. Air raid offense but never ever plays a smidgen of defense. No thanks.

Mike Leach haters are some of the stupidest most ill-motivated people you'll find. Always desperately hoping that he doesn't get a chance at a place where he can recruit so they can maintain the illusion that he couldn't win there.

Don't make me regurgitate my annual Mike Leach post. You'll be so embarrassed that you will have to create yet another screen name.

Advertisement
LSU has too much money to hire the Pirate. They’ll want a “ name” coach who they think can beat Satan. As much as I love the Pirate, that ain’t him.

I think the main reason he won't be able to have success at big time programs is that he might be a little too colorful for parents. He gets more out of lesser talent, but I feel like he'd strike out a lot if going head to head with coaches who are well known for recruiting abilities (like our own Mark Richt). WSU is a good fit- not a lot of pressure, can snag good 3 star recruits that are looking at programs like Boise State or Utah, and program gets decent money from conference. Just don't see him having that kind of success at Miami, where high school kids are looking for the surest route to NFL (and air raid isn't going to get them there)

Don't make me regurgitate my annual Mike Leach post. You'll be so embarrassed that you will have to create yet another screen name.

Unless your info includes an account of the time he was hired at Texas, USC, Miami, Florida, etc. and had losing seasons, then it doesn't change my main point which is that he's not had the kind of chance that many other coaches have had who have produced less success than he has. Is it possible he might not do as well as I expect? Sure. But we don't know, and I'm just tired of people stating this as if it's some proven fact. Did Jimmy Johnson win a conf championship at OSU? Did Saban win one at MSU? Then there's Kiffin, Muschamp, Golden, Miles, McElwain, Sarkisian, the list just goes on and on. Coaches like that always get chances, while Leach keeps getting trashed by those who seem zealously motivated to hold him to a different standard. No one's saying he's guaranteed to be the next Belichick or Saban, but with some actual elite defensive talent, he may be very good.

Advertisement
TTU a doormat? LMFAO at that nonsense. Spike Dykes had the Red Raiders a consistent 6-8 win program, and he wasn't scheduling the sisters of the poor every non-conference game either. The entire Leach myth is based around this concept that schools like Wazzu and TTU had never experienced success before he arrived. Wazzu was going to Rose Bowls under Mike Price, they were one of the more successful Pac-10(at the time) programs around the turn of the century. Never mind the fact that one Dennis Erickson also found success on the Palouse.

Leach averaged eight wins per year at TTU
Spike Dykes averaged seven wins per year at TTU
No one was screaming for Dykes to get a major job at any point.

Leach hasn't won ten games at Wazzu, Mike Price did it three times, and won the conference twice.

The pirate finally figured out he actually DID need a defense on his team and has a pretty good one this year.That Apple Cup( I think that’s what they call it) at the end of the year with UW might be for a trip to the playoffs this year cause I don’t think anyone in the south can beat either one of them.

This is the same team that had to miraculously come back from 31-10 against Boise State, right? That WSU team? Let’s chill a bit.

You may be right about the last part, but only because the PAC is an absolute joke right now. Any team from that conference that makes it in will get waxed by whoever they play in the first round.

Advertisement

Unless your info includes an account of the time he was hired at Texas, USC, Miami, Florida, etc. and had losing seasons, then it doesn't change my main point which is that he's not had the kind of chance that many other coaches have had who have produced less success than he has. Is it possible he might not do as well as I expect? Sure. But we don't know, and I'm just tired of people stating this as if it's some proven fact. Did Jimmy Johnson win a conf championship at OSU? Did Saban win one at MSU? Then there's Kiffin, Muschamp, Golden, Miles, McElwain, Sarkisian, the list just goes on and on. Coaches like that always get chances, while Leach keeps getting trashed by those who seem zealously motivated to hold him to a different standard. No one's saying he's guaranteed to be the next Belichick or Saban, but with some actual elite defensive talent, he may be very good.

The anti-Leach thing is because some of us can look deeper than the 65 points he would score against Prairie View. The guy's entire tenure at Texas Tech was smoke and mirrors. He severely weakened the OOC schedule, giving him four guaranteed wins, then won four or five conference games. Just like the guy before him did. He got your attention because of the 65 points against Prairie View.

Gary Pinkel had more Big 12 success than Mike Leach at the exact same time, but got no attention because he didn't score 65 points and didn't have funny press conferences.

Leach is having a nice year, but like we said, he hasn't had that 40 point loss to an unranked team yet.

I'm a mike leach hater.. like I said he's a coach. Air raid offense but never ever plays a smidgen of defense. No thanks.
Washington State is 5-0 and ranks 11th nationally in total defense.

Oh, child. This is too easy.

Total Offense rank, Washington State opponents
Montana State - 59th.....in FCS
Boise State - 100th
Oregon State - 112th
Nevada - 110th
Southern Cal - 36th

Montana State - 59th.....in FCS
Boise State - 100th
Oregon State - 112th
Nevada - 110th
Southern Cal - 36th

Are you suggesting that indicates that WSU "never ever plays a smidgen of defense" like the poster I was answering? I saw the USC game. Their defense looks pretty good. WSU's D was 7th in the PAC 12 last year, 6th the year before. Considering their talent level, that's not bad at all. He was better than Dykes at TTU. He went 9-3, 8-5, 9-4, 11-2, 9-5 has last 5 years there. Perfect? No. Worth a look from the the schools that hired the ones I listed above? Absolutely. But back to my point: I'm suggesting that the antipathy toward Leach goes beyond numbers. It's ideological/personal and some people get zealous about it. The nitpicking over a loss here and there doesn't justify it.

Grew up a Canes fan but currently live in Arizona. I was hoping the UofA would hire him, instead they got Rich Rod who has done a decent job so far

Advertisement
Back