I think we're missing the boat on...

SFbayCane

All American
Mo Hagens.

I do not feel that our staff is utilizing Mo Hagens anywhere near as much as we should. I was kind of blown away that we gave Gus Edwards a carry last Thursday night. Mo Hagens should be getting 5-7 carries a game IMO. And not just fullback dive carries, Hagens should be getting his touches off tackle. He is a load to bring down. He's the kind of runningback that wears linebackers down.

Moreoever, I think he should be getting his carries early in the game when the other team's D is fresh. That gives us the option of having Duke Johnson as a change of pace back.

Lets talk Duke Johnson: Last year he was used sparingly because of durability concerns. This year we are using him way more and his durability is waning. Part of this is the downward trade we made between coach Fisch and coach Coley, who is absolutely abusing Duke Johnson. More than once this season Duke Johnson has been given 4-5 consecutive carries. That's just foolishness!! Its even more foolish when you have a Mo Hagens at your disposal.

Thoughts???

Advertisement
I love the FB quick hitters. We can be a finesse team at times and I like the idea of punching a team in the gut when they are focusing on our other weapons.

Add to the fact that Hagens is actually a competent capable runner, and yeah I would love to see more of it.

Agree 100 percent! Mix it with let Duke get that 7 to 10 yard run,then give in to Hagans or bring in Edwards to hit them in the teeth for the first down. Same with DC. Gotta mix all of them in.

Advertisement
hopefully coley has purposely not used the fullback in order to pound away at Florida State and catch them off guard. I really do believe that will be our gameplan against them. They seem able to score points in bunches so airing it out might not be our best plan of action unless we're playing from behind early

hopefully coley has purposely not used the fullback in order to pound away at Florida State and catch them off guard. I really do believe that will be our gameplan against them. They seem able to score points in bunches so airing it out might not be our best plan of action unless we're playing from behind early

Interesting thought but I think the most obvious reason is that coach Coley has a QB (Morris) whose skillset is limited to running a shotgun spread offense. Coach Coley doesnt seem comfortable calling plays from a pro-set, nor does Stephen Morris seem comfortable running that style offense. Yet the entire structure of our offense lends itself to a power running game.

With the emergence of Crawford and maybe some more Mo mixed in....I'd like to see Duke in the slot more. Similar to last year. Get him in space.

I agree with the OP. In order to beat Noles and VT, this team has get physical. The use of Hagens and extra TE will allow the Canes to effectively run the ball with Duke and DC...

Advertisement
I'd like for us to use Hagens more. I'd like to think he'd help out with our short yardage woes. Puzzles me as to why they haven't lused him more. This, and Morris going to the TE's and checking down more, and I'm a happy man..

I was thinking this exact same thing that Coley is waiting to unveil that against the Nolies

Advertisement
I'm In complete agreement to use Hagens and if Gus is ready use him. I'm thinking that the only way we beat FSU is to keep the ball away from their offence as much as possible. Commit to the power run game and stick to it.

Advertisement
Here is my 2 cents.

Love our RBs. I also love pounding the ball. Run Duke, Crawford and Clements. Then every now and then, slam them with Mo. Run a few plays with our TBs and then run the same play with Mo getting the ball, in the other direction. I'd put money on him getting nice yardage every time (and I'm not a betting type of person).

Just saw where Miami opps this far have won about 33% of their games. Remaining opps have won about 66%, it's about to get very interesting.

Advertisement
Back