I think Jimbo goes to LSU

Look at this wishlist:

So, let us say Jimbo goes to LSU (as the Finebaum, Cowherd, and Galloways seem to think will happen), and then FSU has to find a new coach. IF we all agree Herman is the best fall back option, IF HE IS AVAILABLE, then which schools will be our competition? The only real threats would be: Texas (if they lose oklahoma/okl state they fire Strong-- possible), USC (Clayton is looking like a horrible hire), Michigan (if Harbough goes to the NFL again-unlikely I think), ND (If Kelly leaves on his own or not), and MAYBE OSU/Bama (if Meyer/Saban suddenly retires--Very unlikely, but who knows). I do not see any other schools who could realistically have a shot beat out FSU for Herman (Staples am I off on that statement?). Okay, of those schools that are competition, I would say at least 1 will be freed up, and I would not be shocked if up to 3 open up. USC, UT, and ND are all big possibilities. Of those three schools, Herman has connections to two the homes states of 2 of them (USC and UT). I think it is fair to say that FSU would not be the favorite to land Herman if USC, UT, and ND are all open.
If USC, UT, and ND open up and Herman goes to one of them (as I think would happen in that scenario), then what are FSU's options if Jimbo is poached by LSU? For me the candidates would break down in the following categories:

Worth a call, but don't hold your breath for a single second:
  • Gary Patterson (he seems to like it there, and turn down many jobs, but who knows),
  • Dabo Sweeney (won't happen, but just to **** off some Clemson fans makes it worth it),
  • Mark Dantonio (yeah I know it'll never happen, but I love him, give him a ring for that 3 second NO),
  • Paul Chryst (may be a surprise here, but I have been impressed with him this year and at Pitt, but I doubt he leaves Wisconsin), and
  • David Shaw (yeah he won't leave, but it seems required to call him lol).

More likely, but still a long shot:

• Pat Narduzzi (he just got there, would he already leave... and the whole ACC thing),
  • Justin Fuente (see Narduzzi comment), and
  • Kyle Whittingham (I think FSU is ahead of Utah as a job, but that is a long way from Florida).

Realistic Options:
  • Fedora (Yeah he is in the ACC, but I get the feeling he is looking for a better job already... FSU is bigger than UNC... don't love everything about him),
  • Willie Taggart (at first not a big fan of this idea, but it makes sense when you think about it... still...),
  • Matt Rhule (Golden Rule: I don't know about hiring another Temple guy to a top state of Florida HC job),
  • Jeff Brohm (he runs a Petrino style offense, but without Petrino's baggage, but he does lack a ton of experience... and Florida ties???),
  • Lane Kiffin (he has issues, mainly has he matured, but he can recruit and he knows good offense),
  • Brent Venebles (I did not think it was a great move by Clemson to hire him, boom I was wrong, great DC and recruiter, but he has no HC experience),
  • Dan Mullins (made MSU a contender, can recruit Florida, but MSU sucks this year), and
  • Bryan Kelly (okay this is assuming in this scenario he is canned at ND... yeah he has had recent struggles, but he would not have the recruiting limitations he had at ND, although he would need to do better at hiring his DC).

Fall Back Options:
  • Frost (do not love his offensive philosophy, and has limited HC experience),
  • Chad Morris (he has struggled at SMU),
  • Chris Weinke (I have heard his name in some places as a possible future HC for FSU in the distant future, but he has no HC experience in college),
  • Mario Cristobal (has some HC experience, but was fired by FIU for some reason, but he knows how to recruit Florida),
  • Randy Shannon (he is a great DC, can recruit Florida with the best, would **** off UM fans, but man oh man remember his days at UM... yikes), :roll-canes2:
  • Steve Addazio (has a little too much Less Miles in him for my liking, his offense seems to get worst every year, and he is old),
  • PJ Fleck (no Florida ties),
  • Bryan Harsin (no real Florida ties),
  • Butch Davis (I think his best days are behind him, but hey I will throw him in here),
  • Dave Aranda (no HC experience), Sonny Cumbie (no HC experience),
  • Scottie Motgomery (limited experience),
  • Neal Brown (inexperienced, but I think has a bright future), and
  • Mike Sanford (no HC experience, no Florida ties).

NO NO NO, we must say NO to these guys if they are even remotely interested:
  • Art Briles (Winston drama times a million),
  • Freeze (even if he would be interested, he is a sanction waiting to happen),
  • Chizik, and
  • Miles (he is not winning another title).

Who posted that?

Dannyboynole?

Advertisement
Honestly I'll be stunned if Jimbo goes to LSU. He's already beloved and has won a NC at FSU. He has an easier path to the playoffs and doesn't have to face Saban annually. I don't understand why he'd leave for LSU at all.

Advertisement
Back