I spoke with a current player.

I was a 4x all conference P5 athlete less than 10 years ago. We worked on the fundamentals every day. Great coaches understand that in order to build up great athletes you teach the fundamentals and build upon them every day. Mastery of the basics is what allows athletes to play free. This isn’t the NFL. These are 18-22 year old kids.

Our recruiting has changed because we’re recruiting better players but regardless of the caliber of player the game is the same. If you can’t communicate what you are trying to do in a way that your players understand it. You have failed as a coach. If you can’t understand that to steal your own words, You sir are clueless!

A clear example of a player with talent that needs to be taught fundamentals of the position he’s playing is Harold Perkins at LSU. You can this year he was playing purely off of ability and not fundamentals of a LB. It’s being grossly overstated how “dumb” our roster is. All 3 QBs came from strong areas of country but all struggled with this system. The teacher of it sucks.

Advertisement
A clear example of a player with talent that needs to be taught fundamentals of the position he’s playing is Harold Perkins at LSU. You can this year he was playing purely off of ability and not fundamentals of a LB. It’s being grossly overstated how “dumb” our roster is. All 3 QBs came from strong areas of country but all struggled with this system. The teacher of it sucks.

Good lord, you are oversimplying and misstating all over the place.

First, let's not hyper-focus on the QB position. TVD had some initial discomfort, but looked pretty darn good against UNC and in his one drive against Pitt. If the injuries don't happen, perhaps we never even know about Jake and Jacurri. As for Jacurri, he has some obvious throwing mechanics to work through, but he otherwise KNEW what the playbook was. To claim that Jacurri "struggled with this system" is ridiculous. He was a true freshman who has the worst accuracy of our 3 QBs, and he wasn't going to look like the second coming of John Elway. Now, Jake Garcia struggled.

Second, as it relates to the REST OF THE TEAM, nobody is saying they are "dumb" per se. Some are. Those are the guys who have struggled under EVERY coach Miami has had for the past few years. In addition, as I already made clear, we had OTHER guys who were capable of learning the playbook last year, and literally didn't care enough to figure out the new system. Maybe they didn't want to join the military. Maybe they lost confidence in the overall approach. For whatever reason, there were plenty of players who simply refused to do what was expected of them (and I can name one player who was given a fairly simple BEHAVIORAL request that he just wouldn't comply with).

Please stop making this about intelligence as the ONLY trait.

And I'm not saying that @COCane4Life is wrong in all of his assertions. He may very well be an example of a player that listened to his coach and did what was requested, and that is admirable. But there were quite a few players on the Miami team last year who did NOT do that. Were some of them too "dumb" to learn the plays and the playbook? Perhaps. But there were a bunch IN ADDITION who just didn't do the bare minimum of what was requested and expected.

And THAT, in and of itself, is not some failure of coaches to "teach".

Last edited:
Good lord, you are oversimplying and misstating all over the place.

First, let's not hyper-focus on the QB position. TVD had some initial discomfort, but looked pretty darn good against UNC and in his one drive against Pitt. If the injuries don't happen, perhaps we never even know about Jake and Jacurri. As for Jacurri, he has some obvious throwing mechanics to work through, but he otherwise KNEW what the playbook was. To claim that Jacurri "struggled with this system" is ridiculous. He was a true freshman who has the worst accuracy of our 3 QBs, and he wasn't going to look like the second coming of John Elway. Now, Jake Garcia struggled.

Second, as it relates to the REST OF THE TEAM, nobody is saying they are "dumb" per se. Some are. Those are the guys who have struggled under EVERY coach Miami has had for the past few years. In addition, as I already made clear, we had OTHER guys who were capable of learning the playbook last year, and literally didn't care enough to figure out the new system. Maybe they didn't want to join the military. Maybe they lost confidence in the overall approach. For whatever reason, there were plenty of players who simply refused to do what was expected of them (and I can name one player who was given a fairly simple BEHAVIORAL request that he just wouldn't comply with).

Please stop making this about intelligence as the ONLY trait.

And I'm not saying that @COCane4Life is wrong in all of his assertions. He may very well be an example of a player that listened to his coach and did what was requested, and that is admirable. But there were quite a few players on the Miami team last year who did NOT do that. Were some of them too "dumb" to learn the plays and the playbook? Perhaps. But there were a bunch IN ADDITION who just didn't do the bare minimum of what was requested and expected.

And THAT, in and of itself, is not some failure of coaches to "teach".

You continuously type a bunch of bull**** for NO REASON. Do me a favor, answer what my point was. And do it in less than 5 million paragraphs. You want to know what’s oversimplifying? Saying the offense struggled because the players were dumb and didn’t learn fundamentals. THATS what I was referencing and gave an example of Harold Perkins as a player with no fundamentals in his current position, but still produced.

And create whatever excuses you want, this team failed to score on P5 opponents which was WORSE compared to the last 10 years.

Advertisement
You continuously type a bunch of bull**** for NO REASON. Do me a favor, answer what my point was. And do it in less than 5 million paragraphs. You want to know what’s oversimplifying? Saying the offense struggled because the players were dumb and didn’t learn fundamentals. THATS what I was referencing and gave an example of Harold Perkins as a player with no fundamentals in his current position, but still produced.

And create whatever excuses you want, this team failed to score on P5 opponents which was WORSE compared to the last 10 years.

Are you going to cry some more?

You typed some garbage about our three quarterbacks all struggling, and how that must be related to the person who is teaching it. Which ignores the fact that all 3 QBs were at different experience levels and evidences that you didn't watch the games, but memorized the stats.

And talk to anyone who has spent time at the practices and knows QB play if you want to know what Jake's issue is. It's not "learning the fundamentals".

Don't get it wrong, I want Gattis gone too, but his primary faults are not in "teaching his system". We had breakdowns at multiple position groups. It's fairly easy to figure out that it's not about how one particular coach teaches something, but is a larger problem involving multiple players who just don't want to do what the new staff wants them to do.

Short enough response for you?

Are you going to cry some more?

You typed some garbage about our three quarterbacks all struggling, and how that must be related to the person who is teaching it. Which ignores the fact that all 3 QBs were at different experience levels and evidences that you didn't watch the games, but memorized the stats.

And talk to anyone who has spent time at the practices and knows QB play if you want to know what Jake's issue is. It's not "learning the fundamentals".

Don't get it wrong, I want Gattis gone too, but his primary faults are not in "teaching his system". We had breakdowns at multiple position groups. It's fairly easy to figure out that it's not about how one particular coach teaches something, but is a larger problem involving multiple players who just don't want to do what the new staff wants them to do.

Short enough response for you?

It’s actually a pretty idiotic response considering you have ZERO clue how Gattis is as a teacher.

“And to talk to anyone” Are YOU “anyone”? I doubt it.

“Multiple players who just don’t want to do what the new staff wants them to do” NAME THE MULTIPLE PLAYERS. If you can’t, stfu.

But hmmm, if it’s simply the players not doing what the staff (including Gattis) wants them to do, why would YOU want to get rid of Gattis? PROVIDE AN ANSWER PROFESSOR

And you have still yet to answer what my point was.

All 3 QBs INCLUDING the offense struggled. Gattis said he has to run THREE different offenses this year. That’s BULL****. Competent OCs don’t have to implement 3 different offenses with QB changes.

It’s actually a pretty idiotic response considering you have ZERO clue how Gattis is as a teacher.

“And to talk to anyone” Are YOU “anyone”? I doubt it.

“Multiple players who just don’t want to do what the new staff wants them to do” NAME THE MULTIPLE PLAYERS. If you can’t, stfu.

But hmmm, if it’s simply the players not doing what the staff (including Gattis) wants them to do, why would YOU want to get rid of Gattis? PROVIDE AN ANSWER PROFESSOR

And you have still yet to answer what my point was.

All 3 QBs INCLUDING the offense struggled. Gattis said he has to run THREE different offenses this year. That’s BULL****. Competent OCs don’t have to implement 3 different offenses with QB changes.
This is not to defend Gattis by any means, but you don't think the playbook was extremely limited with Brown at quarterback? Brown ran the ball 19 times against Georgia Tech. He completed 4 passes greater than 10 yards. He was almost Kirby Freeman bad against Clemson.

What did Garcia do that was spectacular against Virginia? We are lucky we won the game in OT. He was embarrassingly bad against FSU.

Advertisement
This is not to defend Gattis by any means, but you don't think the playbook was extremely limited with Brown at quarterback? Brown ran the ball 19 times against Georgia Tech. He completed 4 passes greater than 10 yards. He was almost Kirby Freeman bad against Clemson.

What did Garcia do that was spectacular against Virginia? We are lucky we won the game in OT. He was embarrassingly bad against FSU.

Of course it was limited for Brown. It was also trash with Van Dyke. Play calling and Rhythm is a factor as well. Did Van Dyke or Garcia look this bad last year? The answer is no. We couldn’t even run the ball effectively. If the ENTIRE offense isn’t productive, that falls on the OC first. Of course theirs nuance with this all, but I can’t ignore the **** we saw on Saturday’s.

Advertisement
Back