I spoke with a current player.

We are talking about different things if you are referring to our roster.

But on this subject, I would expect a lot more than we got. The entire staff did poorly preparing these players to play. This is not even up for debate.

It almost seems the coaches expected the players to be all Americans and gave up coaching when they found out they weren't. It could also be argued the players became uninterested because the coaches seemed uninterested in teaching them or couldn'tteach them...at least some of them.
Uh, what? Isn’t this thread about our current roster?

Advertisement
So give me examples where Davis was a ****** game day coach? This is grossly exaggerated.
A ****** game day coach when he barely had enough kids to practice in 96 & 97...absolutely no depth whatsoever. Then they'll fault him for the Washington loss in 2000, because it was him, not Portis fumbling to literally lose the game. BUT, you'll never hear how he beat Terry Donahue in the 98 upset of UCLA, or beat Saint Bobby Bowden, and his defending NC Noles in 2000....or whipping Mr. Gameday Extraordinaire Spurrier in the 2001 Sugar Bowl..when he finally had full squads, nope, those don't count...neither do the 2007,08 & 09 Wins vs UM with far less talent at UNC...

Last edited:
Advertisement
There are programs who may have down years, but culture wise is on point. Culture is how you do things no matter what..shouldn’t be predicated on success..and Miamis culture has been a issue for years
TCU is a classic example of this. TCUs culture wasn't broken, Patterson was aging out, they couldn't stay healthy and had awful luck. TCU, also had to play kids earlier than they wanted, due to injuries.

TCU now has grown men all over the place that embraced Dykes and for the first time in years remained relatively healthy.

So clueless.

Coaches at the highest levels don’t waste time on kids who need to be taught the basics. There are too many kids to choose from who are ready for advanced coaching. That’s why our recruiting focus has changed. Let Toledo come get the fast kid who doesn’t understand routes. We will go find the fast kid who already has a strong grasp of the concept.
I was a 4x all conference P5 athlete less than 10 years ago. We worked on the fundamentals every day. Great coaches understand that in order to build up great athletes you teach the fundamentals and build upon them every day. Mastery of the basics is what allows athletes to play free. This isn’t the NFL. These are 18-22 year old kids.

Our recruiting has changed because we’re recruiting better players but regardless of the caliber of player the game is the same. If you can’t communicate what you are trying to do in a way that your players understand it. You have failed as a coach. If you can’t understand that to steal your own words, You sir are clueless!

Advertisement
C'mon man....Those UM teams Beamer beat had no depth....once that *** beating Butch put on his *** in 2000 happened, nobody said sh*t...
Miami shouldn’t have lost to them in 95, 96 nor 98. Let’s keep it real.

So, for example, Cormani doesn’t need to be taught the basics of how to defend a route tree; someone at his skill set level is expected to know off the bat? It’s all just the Staff refining his skills and familiarizing him with our system?
It’s obvious he has no idea what he’s talking about. You can be an elite athlete and have no idea what you’re actually doing. It comes natural to some but in college that **** will get exposed. You can’t day 1 jump into teaching 18 year old kids advanced concepts. 99% will be lost. It’s a coaches job to asses where guys are but you start with the basics, master the basics and then build toward advanced concepts. Guys redshirt for a reason

I was a 4x all conference P5 athlete less than 10 years ago. We worked on the fundamentals every day. Great coaches understand that in order to build up great athletes you teach the fundamentals and build upon them every day. Mastery of the basics is what allows athletes to play free. This isn’t the NFL. These are 18-22 year old kids.

Our recruiting has changed because we’re recruiting better players but regardless of the caliber of player the game is the same. If you can’t communicate what you are trying to do in a way that your players understand it. You have failed as a coach. If you can’t understand that to steal your own words, You sir are clueless!

There is a difference between working on the fundamentals every day and teaching the basic fundamentals of the sport.

Why do you think college coaches get their players from the same quality high school programs every year? They want kids who understand the game.

It’s obvious he has no idea what he’s talking about. You can be an elite athlete and have no idea what you’re actually doing. It comes natural to some but in college that **** will get exposed. You can’t day 1 jump into teaching 18 year old kids advanced concepts. 99% will be lost. It’s a coaches job to asses where guys are but you start with the basics, master the basics and then build toward advanced concepts. Guys redshirt for a reason

Right, no idea.

You cavemen obviously haven't read the original post. Manny's players couldn't understand a basic playbook. It's not a failure on the next guy for not being able to "teach them" in one off-season. Mario is doing what any good coach does: he is replacing those guys. No one has time to explain to a kid how to read a playbook.

Advertisement
  • He said that he was able to understand what Gattis was conveying but the offense in general wasn't able to. Things were simplified but not understood.
  • He said that day 1 stuff was not understood well into the season. Like foundational stuff.
If it is "foundational stuff", the failure is on the previous staff. Mario will be getting players who don't bring this problem into the program.

So give me examples where Davis was a ****** game day coach? This is grossly exaggerated.
East Carolina, Arizona State, getting blanked and blasted at FSU twice. These are just ones I remember off the top of my head because I was at those games and they stung. No adjustments, lackluster offenses, poor in-game management.

East Carolina, Arizona State, getting blanked and blasted at FSU twice. These are just ones I remember off the top of my head because I was at those games and they stung. No adjustments, lackluster offenses, poor in-game management.
East Carolina was terrible. I wont forget that one.

Advertisement
ASU was 1997 and the roster was depleted. We weren't even in the same hemisphere talent-wise until 1999 with FSU. The 1996 loss against ECU both Clement and Covington got hurt. It set up the miracle win against WVU where Clement played with a third degree separated shoulder. I will give you ECU 1999.

Coaches job is to teach. Players not understanding= bad coaching

Overly simplistic.

Kids...and students...and football players...and just about everyone else in life...can tune out people who are trying to teach them things.

You think that our players "understood" what to do last year, and then suddenly forgot how to "understand"?

Nope, they figured out that they didn't want to keep playing for Mario and all the other new coaches, and they started tuning out all of the new coaches.

It's not an inability to understand. Certain players just stop giving a shee!te.

ASU was 1997 and the roster was depleted. We weren't even in the same hemisphere talent-wise until 1999 with FSU. The 1996 loss against ECU both Clement and Covington got hurt. It set up the miracle win against WVU where Clement played with a third degree separated shoulder. I will give you ECU 1999.
Stop it already....Enough with the facts. That's not good enough for CIS...now the Butch haters have to go back to their barn and re-sharpen their pitchforks...

Advertisement
Back