I spoke with a current player.

Mario can loosen up when the kids know the standard and start holding each other to it.

Until then, he's setting a tone and pace that's going to feel like drinking from a fire hydrant.

It's not the way I would have done it but he's got his own sense of urgency/methods and was hired and given the support to change all of it at once.

It obviously didn't work out for year 1 and who knows how damaging the setbacks will be long term (like not being able to recruit a true WR1, losing Rashada etc) but that doesn't mean we won't be better off for doing it his way.

Only time will tell.

Advertisement
I’ve said Mario will be like golden if he can’t Stray from his way of playing offense. The offenses that win now are uptempo and he wasn’t to work at a snails pace and run it 45 times a game
I keep reading posters say this. Look if Mario keeps recruiting the OL the way he does we can run that style offense and win 10 games in the ACC every year. Michigan and Georgia runs something similar.

Gonna take whatever an active player said and not pay one iota of attention to it.
Toning down the drill sergeant is exactly what got us into this mess.

If you were to ask any recruit “hey how’s it going” during the first 2 weeks of boot camp you would here the following response “please get me the Fck out of here”!

At time of graduation “yeah this is the way it has to be done”

Saban and Alabama are notorious for running that program extremely tough.
And nobody cares because of the results. I even hate him.

Mario’s problem right now is his lack of winning a championship as a head coach. And social media is constantly talking sht about him and his record.

The players that were here were used to a certain type of off leash behavior that got this team into the mess it was.

These young men are for the most part full of testosterone and attitude and only a year or 2 away from being a teenager.
Probably not from a good disciplined and structured home as well.
And what do they have to show for the change in regime and the strict nature that the new staff: a losing season.

They get to Bama and have heisman winners and day one picks and trophy’s that were won under the system. A lot easier to assimilate a young man when the older players have been to playoff games and have all American next to their name.

The players that were here chillin and having a booming social life were in no way gonna enjoy what it takes to get to the next level.

In boot camp you get punished and and have to do push-ups and run etc etc

In 2001 at Miami if you Fck up you’re getting your *** kicked by the players in the locker room.
If you’re a second string player Ed Reed is telling you that you won’t see the field again if someone scored a touchdown.

Advertisement
Was he chitty vs Game Day Saint Bowden in 2000 when he had a full fledged team that finally had depth, or the Game Day "God" Spurrier in the 2001 Sugar Bowl??
Just pick a game in 95 with a roster of NFL players; Washington in 2000 when he was in panic mode all game on the sideline; Penn State and ECU in 99. But he got that big W against Manny while at FIU!

"Butch did X" and was a chitty game day coach, just like Mario. Burn me at the stake
Oh Saint Schnelly, oh Most Holy Coiffed One please forgive this sinner for he doth not knoweth his heresey.

I will carry out great vengeance on them and punish them in my wrath. Then they will know that I am Butch DAW GAWD, when I take vengeance on them.

818165C4-6AFA-491B-86DF-392C7BF5E612.jpeg

Just pick a game in 95 with a roster of NFL players; Washington in 2000 when he was in panic mode all game on the sideline; Penn State and ECU in 99. But he got that big W against Manny while at FIU!
Lol at 95 having a roster of NFL players....Washington game was lost due to a Portis fumble....Penn St due to a bad spot....Stop it.

Lol at 95 having a roster of NFL players....Washington game was lost due to a Portis fumble....Penn St due to a bad spot....Stop it.
Penn State due to getting BURNED in cover 1 up 3 with a minute to go.
Blaming the refs sounds Manny Diaz coaching soft.

1995 roster had plenty of NFL players on it: German, Green, KC Jones, Mercier, Carlos Jones, Lewis (greatest LB in NFL history), Lang, Holmes, Mack, Little, Twan Russell, Burgess. Multiple 1st round picks on that team. Ferguson 1st team all BE at RB. Clement and Covington were top10 recruits out of HS.

Advertisement
I’ve said Mario will be like golden if he can’t Stray from his way of playing offense. The offenses that win now are uptempo and he wasn’t to work at a snails pace and run it 45 times a game
His way of playing offense will look drastically different when he gets in his guys on the OL. You say the offenses that win now are all up tempo yet Michigan is #2 in Country 13-0 & beat OSU’s asś so badly they didn’t even want to be on the field. OSU is obviously one of the most talented rosters in the country. I cant wait until we physically dominate teams and just destroy their will to play. It’s not that the philosophy is so archaic it doesn’t work we didn’t have the thoroughbreds to run that style. I don’t care how cute offenses get football is about physicality & toughness. It will take a few classes like we just had, but at least Mario is acquiring the talent

Last edited:
Penn State due to getting BURNED in cover 1 up 3 with a minute to go.
Blaming the refs sounds Manny Diaz coaching soft.

1995 roster had plenty of NFL players on it: German, Green, KC Jones, Mercier, Carlos Jones, Lewis (greatest LB in NFL history), Lang, Holmes, Mack, Little, Twan Russell, Burgess. Multiple 1st round picks on that team. Ferguson 1st team all BE at RB. Clement and Covington were top10 recruits out of HS.
No....I was standing on the sidelines at the Penn St debacle...the game WAS lost on a bad spot by the ref....The 95 team was Co-Big East Champions...and we forfeited the bowl game. We were terribly thin at OL thanks to Ericksons garbage recruiting, Lol at a Roster full of NFL players...only Ray did anything Noteworthy in the NFL....Stop it...

No....I was standing on the sidelines at the Penn St debacle...the game WAS lost on a bad spot by the ref....The 95 team was Co-Big East Champions...and we forfeited the bowl game. We were terribly thin at OL thanks to Ericksons garbage recruiting, Lol at a Roster full of NFL players...only Ray did anything Noteworthy in the NFL....Stop it...
Lang- 153 games, 50 sacks started 117 games
Holmes- Kenny Holmes played in a Super Bowl and 38.5 sacks started 76 games
Mack- Pro Bowl 1999, holds a Bengals return record
Yatil Green blew his knee out, 1st round pick

Shared the Big East... there were only 3 teams with a winning record in that conf in 95 and Miami was one.

Advertisement
Any and all successful coaches run a tight ship. It’s how it has to be.

Mario knew he needed to clean up the play time, grab *** nature of Manny’s locker room, and the Manny holdovers would not like the 180 degree change. He could have buddy-buddied up to the players, let them have their way to win their affection and maybe eke out 3 more wins just because they are ‘happy’. But Mario opted to stay the course and establish his culture Day 1 and take the lumps.

This is the right move and will pay off in the long run - especially if he can sign Top 10 classes annually. He’s going to need a roster stacked with talent to offset the injuries that will occur with heavy contact practices.

That said, I think he’s absolutely got to move on from Gattis. Nothing personal against the guy, and I realize we’ve had a ton of guys who’ve never had to study and playbook in high school. But it’s on Gattis to teach and adapt, and it was clear he couldn’t or wouldn’t do it. Our offense was an embarrassing failure and that has to fall on Gattis.

Lang- 153 games, 50 sacks started 117 games
Holmes- Kenny Holmes played in a Super Bowl and 38.5 sacks started 76 games
Mack- Pro Bowl 1999, holds a Bengals return record
Yatil Green blew his knee out, 1st round pick

Shared the Big East... there were only 3 teams with a winning record in that conf in 95 and Miami was one.
Reading Comprehension is tantamount...I said Quote....Co-Big East Champions...You forget to mention how young those kids were...most were Frosh and Sophomores...you also fail to mention....11 schollies gone in 95....9 schollies gone in 96...and 9 more in 97...and don't forget the QBs were young as well. Only Ray Lewis and Derrick Harris were selected in the Draft that yr....Ray in the 1st....Harris in the 6th. We also finished #20. Ericksons QB and OL recruiting were trash from 92-94....If you want to blame someone, Blame him.

Advertisement
Reading Comprehension is tantamount...I said Quote....Co-Big East Champions...You forget to mention how young those kids were...most were Frosh and Sophomores...you also fail to mention....11 schollies gone in 95....9 schollies gone in 96...and 9 more in 97...and don't forget the QBs were young as well. Only Ray Lewis and Derrick Harris were selected in the Draft that yr....Ray in the 1st....Harris in the 6th. We also finished #20. Ericksons QB and OL recruiting were trash from 92-94....If you want to blame someone, Blame him.
Yes so co-champs, and only one non-co champ had a winning record in the conf.

We're never getting a beer together. And that's okay.

you can be a dictator or player friendly. idc what style they prefer. you just can't go 5-7 and get blown out of the stadium multiple times by bad to average teams. youre more like the dictator from the Sasha baron Cohen movie than you are a nick saban when you do that. you look like a clown. same w the players. you can't want a more player friendly coach when youre half assing effort on the field or in practice. win or shut the **** up.

Any and all successful coaches run a tight ship. It’s how it has to be.

Mario knew he needed to clean up the play time, grab *** nature of Manny’s locker room, and the Manny holdovers would not like the 180 degree change. He could have buddy-buddied up to the players, let them have their way to win their affection and maybe eke out 3 more wins just because they are ‘happy’. But Mario opted to stay the course and establish his culture Day 1 and take the lumps.

This is the right move and will pay off in the long run - especially if he can sign Top 10 classes annually. He’s going to need a roster stacked with talent to offset the injuries that will occur with heavy contact practices.

That said, I think he’s absolutely got to move on from Gattis. Nothing personal against the guy, and I realize we’ve had a ton of guys who’ve never had to study and playbook in high school. But it’s on Gattis to teach and adapt, and it was clear he couldn’t or wouldn’t do it. Our offense was an embarrassing failure and that has to fall on Gattis.
nothing personal? hes a bum and threw everyone under the bus but himself. hes never ever called a good offense but acted like hes a god even tho Harbaugh Weiss and Moore saved his *** and got him the broyles. he'd be begging for a job if Mario didnt give him a life raft after Michigan

Advertisement
Back