I liken this D to 91's D

Advertisement
You may be right Terd. One of those years. That stat is unreal. I mean, who does that?
I'm almost positive it was during the '89 season. I remember the commentators during the ND game at the OB commenting about us giving up negative yardage on punt returns as we were getting ready to punt the ball away to Tim Brown

I'm almost positive it was during the '89 season. I remember the commentators during the ND game at the OB commenting about us giving up negative yardage on punt returns as we were getting ready to punt the ball away to Tim Brown

Yes, it was 1989. It's because Tim Kalal consistently kicked the ball between 38 and 42 yards with 5 second hang time. It was unreal to watch him. He was the "Iron Mike" of punting.

What is this hyping of Willis

The guy has donezero in his college career

Because he was a solid backup in 2016 at 280 pounds. He was practice squad player of the year last year. He is 20 pounds heavier and by all accounts is ready to absolutely destroy it this year. He has really matured. Never an issue with his athletic ability and his explosiveness.

Advertisement
Yes, it was 1989. It's because Tim Kalal consistently kicked the ball between 38 and 42 yards with 5 second hang time. It was unreal to watch him. He was the "Iron Mike" of punting.

You guys are right, it was '89. I went to the tape/DVR. Second quarter Kalal lines up to punt and the announcers said we'd given up 13 yards all year on PR. That's just sick, in any year.

To be fair, there is an addition of 4 DTs who have the potential to be as good or better than those two that left.
Not yet sold on any DT other than Willis for this game. Will have to see how they play. Some of the young guys have great potential, but they are young.

I seem to recall that, late in the season, our punt team had given up negative yardage to the opposition on PR’s. I tried looking that up this week but couldn’t find it. But I know I have it on tape, it was put up during a telecast and I’m pretty sure it was that 91 squad. It was astounding.

I remember one year back then that going into the FSU night game late in the season, we had given up something like 3 yards in punt returns -- not average, total. I think Tiger Clark was MLB on it. These kids today don't get to really be Canes so the work at a disadvantage when compared to our old great teams. Heck some time I think our own old great teams can't be compared to our old great teams.

Advertisement
Back