I liken this D to 91's D

- Great starting Secondary thick with experience and ability.
- Stud, experienced LB corp with a stud MLB as the anchor for the whole D.
- Solid, but not elite, DT's who make plays, do their jobs and set up...
- Spectacular DE's!

Seriously, 91's D was absolution suffocating and they are the only one that didn't have all world DT's, but the other 9 were so spectacular and they were so well coached, that it simply didn't matter.

And, our DT's DO have an opportunity to be spectacular, so if that happens....WOOO DOGGIEE!!!!

I was going to disagree, because of the lb comparison.... But I do see mj and Ryan McNeil as similar

Advertisement
91 UM Defense is statistically UMs best ever....Nobody on this yrs Defense, starts on the 91 team....

Disagree. Nothing spectacular about Anthony Hamlet or Eric Miller at defensive tackle. Willis starts. Bethel, Ford or Tito are certainly more athletic than those two. Michael Jackson starts at corner on the other side of Ryan McNeil. Jacquan starts at safety next to Darryl Williams. Can one of our ends give Medearis or Patrick a run for their money? We shall see how they perform this year. They don't get nearly as many reps. After Rusty and Patrick, Miami was little at the position. Today's ends are definitely getting on the field. Tough to outproduce the Bermuda Triangle.

That was the best scoring defense Miami has ever had - 8.34 points a game given up.

I'd be happy with a reasonable improvement from last year where we gave up somewhere around 20 a game - far too many to compete for championships.

- Great starting Secondary thick with experience and ability.
- Stud, experienced LB corp with a stud MLB as the anchor for the whole D.
- Solid, but not elite, DT's who make plays, do their jobs and set up...
- Spectacular DE's!

Seriously, 91's D was absolution suffocating and they are the only one that didn't have all world DT's, but the other 9 were so spectacular and they were so well coached, that it simply didn't matter.

And, our DT's DO have an opportunity to be spectacular, so if that happens....WOOO DOGGIEE!!!!

The delusion is real folks.

This d is almost the same personnel (possibly worse), the same scheme, and the same coaches (minus our most acclaimed coach), as last years defense which wasnt even top 25 all time Miami defenses.

The team is the same as last year. Why we suddenly expect to be Clemson or Bama is beyond me.

Because it is filled with upperclassmen everywhere. That matters a lot in college football. I'll put money that the run defense improves significantly. "Meet me at the Quarterback" was a get upfield at all cost and we lost gap integrity way too much. Simpson looks to value run support from a technique perspective. I bet you he gets results similar to John Palermo in 2006 and if not than it will be much better than 2017.

Advertisement
Let's be fair with comparing it to the '94 DL of Sapp, Riley, Holmes and Lang.

Holmes and Lang are the most productive (NFL) bookends Miami has ever had.

Sapp is in the HOF and Riley (I think) was drafted in the 2nd round after being one of the top DTs in the country coming out of HS.

And I believe Riley was pretty good here, too (don't remember him quite as well) - the only reason Nebraska beat us in '94 was because Riley couldn't play and our defense just got too gassed.

And for those who think we can't get any big timers out of Louisiana - Riley was one of the very top DTs in the country his senior year in HS.

Those guys on the 89-92 DLs were loaded with 1st Team AAs...and a HOFer....Tez...Patrick...Curry...Maryland...Krein...Medearis...etc...Our current DL isn't even in the 94 DL (Sapp...Holmes...Lang...Riley etc..) Discussion..

We can all agree that the 80's and early 90's teams were un-******* believably loaded with great talent. But I'm hoping that CMR and company can put together Canes squads that can perform at that same level. Polls having us #8 is a good unbiased indicator of expectations. I am optimistic... excuse me for having faith.

This d is almost the same personnel (possibly worse), the same scheme, and the same coaches (minus our most acclaimed coach), as last years defense which wasnt even top 25 all time Miami defenses.

The team is the same as last year. Why we suddenly expect to be Clemson or Bama is beyond me.

Welcome to the offseason.

Advertisement
Yep.

Willis definitely starts on the '91 DL.

He could go in the 1st round if he plays to his potential (and stays healthy).

No other Miami team can match the Bermuda Triangle LBs.

They were by far the nastiest we've had - and we've had a lot of good groups.

Disagree. Nothing spectacular about Anthony Hamlet or Eric Miller at defensive tackle. Willis starts. Bethel, Ford or Tito are certainly more athletic than those two. Michael Jackson starts at corner on the other side of Ryan McNeil. Jacquan starts at safety next to Darryl Williams. Can one of our ends give Medearis or Patrick a run for their money? We shall see how they perform this year. They don't get nearly as many reps. After Rusty and Patrick, Miami was little at the position. Today's ends are definitely getting on the field. Tough to outproduce the Bermuda Triangle.

LOL

get outta here

last year our linebackers were the bermuda triangle, how'd that work out

you guys give far too much praise to something you haven't even seen yet, i've already learned about that bullsh*t first and foremost with former number 1 pick in the nfl draft brad kayaa.. oh wait

Same as last year? Except everyone is a year older & depth is lightyears better.

91 UM Defense is statistically UMs best ever....Nobody on this yrs Defense, starts on the 91 team....

Disagree completely. Hamlet and Miller while good, weren’t world beaters. Same goes for Patrick, Herbert James and even hurlie. I say that Willis, JJax/garvin, mjax, Jaquan all can start on that 91 team. Let’s relax on the hyperbole (and I’ve been a fan since the early 80s).

Advertisement
I assume it isn’t too much to ask of the D to make just one scrub QB look just like that. A scrub. Tonight is a good time to give it a whirl

That is wrong, IMO. M. Jackson and Jaquan would fit into that secondary with DDub and McNeil.

None of our current LBs would start on the ‘91 team. The bermuda triangle was special.

I love Medearis. Won’t project someone over him. But Patrick was a (RS) Soph in ‘91 and only started 9 games himself. Joe Jackson as a Junior would have had a great chance of having started on the ‘91 team (whatever it means to say that).

At DT, the ‘91 team was not special. Gerald Willis may well be better than either of the ‘91 starters. Or not. We’ll find out shortly. He certainly has the phyical ability to be a starter on that team.

Advertisement
By “looked like” I think OP meant physically. Or maybe racially. Cause that’s all he could’ve meant. Unless he’s a lunatic, which can’t be the case, since there’s def no lunatics on this board.

I seem to recall that, late in the season, our punt team had given up negative yardage to the opposition on PR’s. I tried looking that up this week but couldn’t find it. But I know I have it on tape, it was put up during a telecast and I’m pretty sure it was that 91 squad. It was astounding.

Are you thinking of '89? That year we allowed 2 yards total on punt returns for the season.

Advertisement
Back