I know it's hard to be patient with recruiting, but...

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo
It seems that some other teams are playing the waiting game also. "Big name" teams with low commits:

Alabama-9
USC-9
Clemson-8
UNC-8
Iowa-7
Ole Miss-6
Auburn-3

We all know that they will end up with a full cache of recruits. I'm as anxious as anyone about our current haul, but look at it this way---would you rather have a class like this right now?

1625423050749.png

Try to keep the faith.

Waiting for mopes & porsters to :****: on my thread now....

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm generally with you on this and trying to be patient but there's a big difference between 3 commits and 8+ commits at this stage. At some point, there won't be many realistic uncommitted prospects and our only chance will be a flip. I'll give the staff till end of August to have a decent size class (6 or more) or else it will be panic time.

I'm generally with you on this and trying to be patient but there's a big difference between 3 commits and 8+ commits at this stage. At some point, there won't be many realistic uncommitted prospects and our only chance will be a flip. I'll give the staff till end of August to have a decent size class (6 or more) or else it will be panic time.

What do you mean by “panic time“?

On one hand, Durant and Spells were borderline takes now in July. But on the other hand, we're close to having to bat 1.000 on our first-preference takes in order to put together a decent class. Or else we'll have to flip a few guys in the winter. Either way, it's getting tight.

Most rationale fans who have followed recruiting for years should not be upset at losing Spells and Durant. What they are upset about is that we have just 3 commits so far and all of them are out-of-state.

I understand we are chasing bigger fish higher up on our board and these cats don't commit until much later in the recruiting cycle. However, we do not have a history of finishing strong. In fact, our track record is to get out of the gate extremely strong and limp across the finish line.

It will be interesting to see what this class looks like midway thru the season. I have no clue right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we land who we're supposed to: Graves, Cull, Flip that's a start. We really need to hit on Tolan & Jackson at LB IMO. And it'd be nice to pull at least a couple surprises out of Horton, Hood, Richardson, Agbo, Skinner, and Fegans. Ultimately most of our top targets gonna stretch out the process to make up for time lost during the pandemic. Last two cycles have been unprecedented in recruiting & we have to adjust.

Advertisement
It seems that some other teams are playing the waiting game also. "Big name" teams with low commits:

Alabama-9
USC-9
Clemson-8
UNC-8
Iowa-7
Ole Miss-6
Auburn-3

We all know that they will end up with a full cache of recruits. I'm as anxious as anyone about our current haul, but look at it this way---would you rather have a class like this right now?

View attachment 149181

Try to keep the faith.

ESO ES B-A-S-U-R-A Papi!

Go Canes

Advertisement

Alabama-9
USC-9
Clemson-8
UNC-8
Iowa-7
Ole Miss-6
Auburn-3

View attachment 149181

Try to keep the faith.

If we limit that list to schools with fewer than 8 commits, it's
Iowa, 7
Ole Miss, 6
Auburn, 3
Miami, 3.

If we limit to schools among the top 15 in recruiting over the last 5 years, it's
Auburn, 3
Miami, 3.

Advertisement
Meaning our class will be full of reaches ala Golden. We are basically banking on a monster season which makes the Bama opener very tough. I'm still hopeful but today was a rough day.

Reaches like who?

You mean if we don’t hit on a couple of guys we are going to be getting FCS quality players?

I feel our board is the same board everywhere that’s setting up to make serious run .
The top recruits are jockeying around watching each other’s camps and early leans so not be caught in any predicament of doing a move just to pick .

So the jockeying continues till a couple make a break and take a spot someone dragged the feet on.

Already one made a silly move and downed the U sign it may cost him but he’s an adult and he’ll have to deal with it.

Jail break is coming and it will be fun to watch

GOCANES

I think it was the season following Alabama getting hammered by Clemson in the NCG that Alabama got off to a really slow start for recruiting and of course ended up with their usual huge class (and we all know why but so be it.)

I really thought we would be well ahead of where we currently sit in this cycle, though. The most recent class was really strong and had a very heavy South Florida presence, and if we can string together a few classes like that this program can possibly compete at the highest levels again. We added coaches with proven recruiting chops to replace some that were less than stellar in that department, but the top 300-500 kids in this class are committing elsewhere and I don't see us in on a ton of top targets right now. Maybe we've got some guys lined up in the portal but idk, I just hoped we would be in a better spot for this class as of now.

And yeah, I know we aren't doing the Golden thing of taking early commits from anyone and everyone just to see them all go away before early Signing day anymore.

Advertisement
Back