I know its been discussed in other threads, BUT

Hard to convince elite 5* receivers to pick Miami when they see offenses at Bama, Ohio State, USC (now), and other teams with explosive offenses.

It may take a local kid whose dream school is Miami, like Duke Johnson. Or, a kid whose waits and slots fill up at the usual suspects.
Are there any of those left?

Advertisement
Take the Miami shades off and ask yourself one simple question and answer it honestly.

Why would you want to come here as a WR and to a lesser extent, a QB to this point in the season?

Answer it honestly.

So far we've seen a QB hyped up as a very dark horse Heiman candidate and listed high in the draft amongst his peers looking pedestrian at best. I know everyone wants to take a dump on the receivers, but go back and you'll see people talking them up here, but now they're the worst in the land.

This offense doesn't excite potential WR's. Why go here if you've got offers from those putting up big numbers in the passing game?

**** better get on track or we're a real tough sell.

Hard to convince elite 5* receivers to pick Miami when they see offenses at Bama, Ohio State, USC (now), and other teams with explosive offenses.

It may take a local kid whose dream school is Miami, like Duke Johnson. Or, a kid whose waits and slots fill up at the usual suspects.
Didn’t Michigan’s (Gattis/Harbaugh) offense last year lead the country in 50+ yard plays (17)? 3200 yards passing and 3000 yards rushing.

Take the Miami shades off and ask yourself one simple question and answer it honestly.

Why would you want to come here as a WR and to a lesser extent, a QB to this point in the season?

Answer it honestly.

So far we've seen a QB hyped up as a very dark horse Heiman candidate and listed high in the draft amongst his peers looking pedestrian at best. I know everyone wants to take a dump on the receivers, but go back and you'll see people talking them up here, but now they're the worst in the land.

This offense doesn't excite potential WR's. Why go here if you've got offers from those putting up big numbers in the passing game?

Devil's advocate:

I see WRs in the wrong place on the field. I see WRs struggling to get separation. I see WRs dropping footballs.
I don't see a prototype X WR. I don't see a WR with elite balls skills. I don't see a WR with elite size/speed.
I believe UM is prioritizing football (maybe more than ever). I believe in Mario Cristobal. I believe UM is on the rise (and want to be a part of it).
I know that I'm better than these WRs and will play early. I know that I can succeed in any system willing to throw me the ball. I know UM has a national presence that will get me drafted if I succeed.

If you're a salesman there still a lot to sell. But I agree they'll need to show more of a commitment to moving the ball vertically downfield in the passing game than they did on Saturday, otherwise what you're selling becomes smoke and mirrors.

Answer it honestly.

We threw the ball 42 times Saturday. There were plenty of yards/points left on the field due to either bad throws/routes or drops. Did the same WR who don’t want to come here watch the Ohio State Notre Dame game and see their vaunted offense put up a whole 21 points against a really bad Notre Dame team?

Advertisement
Devil's advocate:

I see WRs in the wrong place on the field. I see WRs struggling to get separation. I see WRs dropping footballs.
I don't see a prototype X WR. I don't see a WR with elite balls skills. I don't see a WR with elite size/speed.
I believe UM is prioritizing football (maybe more than ever). I believe in Mario Cristobal. I believe UM is on the rise (and want to be a part of it).
I know that I'm better than these WRs and will play early. I know that I can succeed in any system willing to throw me the ball. I know UM has a national presence that will get me drafted if I succeed.

If you're a salesman there still a lot to sell. But I agree they'll need to show more of a commitment to moving the ball vertically downfield in the passing game than they did on Saturday, otherwise what you're selling becomes smoke and mirrors.

That a a really optimistic take, sell, or whatever.

The other schools would dismantle it completely and simply point to what they're doing as well as proven results. Draft wise and numbers wise, they (Mario and Gattis) don't hold a candle and there's multiple years of evidence for the schools we all know with draft picks to back it up.

Decent devils advocate though for sure. Man, if I'm the parent of a recruit, I'm doing major due diligence. Right now, if my son was an elite receiever. It would suck, but I'd suggest elsewhere.

We threw the ball 42 times Saturday. There were plenty of yards/points left on the field due to either bad throws/routes or drops. Did the same WR who don’t want to come here watch the Ohio State Notre Dame game and see their vaunted offense put up a whole 21 points against a really bad Notre Dame team?

You tend to throw the ball a lot when, you know, you're trailing in a game and time is going away.

You're going to hang your recruiting hat on one game when there's mounds of evidence to the contrary with OSU? Weird.

Answer it honestly.

There’s a clear path to playing time at the WR position. Personally, I don’t like that pitch but it’s there. Also we have Rashada committed, so you are selling a vision with him as QB.

Ultimately this boils to down Mario selling a vision for the program. It’s three games in and he can sell his future vision. If this was year three maybe then it’d be harder to overcome some objections.

Advertisement
You tend to throw the ball a lot when, you know, you're trailing in a game and time is going away.

You're going to hang your recruiting hat on one game when there's mounds of evidence to the contrary with OSU? Weird.
So one game for OSU isn’t a barometer but it is for Gattis offense? His pedigree is pretty solid as far as the receivers he’s developed and put in the league but that doesn’t matter right? His offense last year led the nation in +50 yard plays and racked up 6200 yards of total offense guess that doesn’t matter either?

You also tend to try not to run the clock out …. Dont give them too much credit now.

Any STUD wr can most likely arrive here and be a starter day 1. I just cant understand how these wr have such an issue catching the dam ball. This is such a golden opportunity for a wr like ****ey to get here early and become a freshman all American.

I read some say kids dont look at stuff like that, maybe the kids dont but there dam handlers and those that help influence them have to see major playing time available. If I was Mario I would have text/called every wr recruit on the way home and asked them did you see that chit show. WE NEED YOU BADLY AND NEED YOU HERE FOR SPRING.
Why would you look at it that way versus the ultimate goal which is to make the nfl and no matter the depth at Alabama or OSU they have been putting guys in NFL at that role for years. We need to prove we can do the same somehow. I can't even remember our last 1st round WR.......think its Dorsett and he's lasted a long time in NFL but as a first rounder, he's a bust. So you gonna bet on that track record? Till we prove it, how are handlers not gonna tell their kids to go these big programs, get a bag, and have better odds at a high draft pick.......it ***cing sucks but its a fact.

Advertisement
Don’t know. Doesn’t that make that offense that much more impressive? No 1st round picks yet they put up those kind of stats?
Sure, but do the elite kids think that way? Many may want to jump on a bandwagon, like Bama or OSU. Others maybe not. Maybe a kid sees a Day 1 opportunity at Miami. NIL money likely figures in too.

Taking off the orange and green glasses, I see Miami as such an opportunity. ****ey arrives and starts Day 1.

And even with last Saturday’s results, Miami threw 41 passes and had 7 drops. No doubt the offense improves with better WR play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What is Georgia, Texas A&M, Florida, even Clemson now selling high school WR recruits?

Y'all are better than this "No WR wants to play in Mario's offense" crap.

Who needs McClendon to negative recruit Miami WR's when fans parrot the same crap.

If a WR goes to Ohio State or Southern Cal, ok but it is a long way from home.

Plenty to sell at Miami.

Answer it honestly.

Ask Mario why he chose a OC who wants to pound the ball, throw to Tight ends, and doesn’t wanna get the ball outside. All I know is Restrepo looked fine the first two games at receiver and it helped the right ends and backs catch the ball. They had better figure this out! Because if this is your goal, you better have my multiple big time running backs. Or you had better adapt

Advertisement
Back