I hope Miami doesn’t do something like this

If it’s real, it doesn’t really mean anything.

Those people just gave away $2.5 million for literally nothing.

Do you think when they’re televising games they are going to say and “the Haggerty Family head football coach Taggart is really barking at those refs”?

Do you think a player is going to run up to Willie and say “Haggerty family Coach Taggart, can I be excused to go take a dump?”
That would be hilarious if there were monitors who informed on players and assistant coaches who did not use that honorific, and refunds given to the Haggerty Family if the said title was not constantly used.

Advertisement
Far be it from me to tell a dude how to spend his millions, but:

1) that's a stupid, meaningless thing to spend money on
2) it makes the donor kinda look like an arrogant prick... "Here's some money, name the coach after ME!!"
3) maybe he's philanthropic in other ways, maybe not, but there are SO MANY other/better things to give that kind of money to. So many hungry kids in this world... sigh.

I hate this story.

Do you think when they’re televising games they are going to say and “the Haggerty Family head football coach Taggart is really barking at those refs”?

Do you think a player is going to run up to Willie and say “Haggerty family Coach Taggart, can I be excused to go take a dump?”
The sh*t people get worked up over is amazing

Advertisement
Advertisement
This has been going on in academia for DECADES. I have a couple of friends that just made tenure, guess what? Their positions are named after a major donor that endowed that position. So it is "XYZ Donor Professor of English", or in a business school "XYZ Corporation Professor of Business Management" Frankly, if you have a donor that wants to do that, who the F cares? The only time that full title gets used is in printed materials and on the office door.

If Miami has donors that want to endow coaching positions, then go for it.

This is fuqin hilarious when you actually say it out loud.

My girl looked at me like 🤔🤨🧐

At the end of the day, who cares as long as my alma mater is getting funds to improve the football program.

Like I said in a prior post, it’s a title that will rarely be used, certainly not in sports broadcasts. Too long, too time consuming, and it’s just not practical.

But if people want to give money to have that title slapped in front of the coaches name one time, when the donation announcement is made, which will probably be the only time you ever really hear it, then so be it.

Just keep the money rolling in.

Advertisement
They aren't the first. It's weird, but it will eventually become common place in college sports. They will name anything after your for the right price.

Michigan does it for Harbaugh and the offensive and defensive coordinators.
I think if I were recruited by Michigan I’d let Harbaugh have an in-home visit just to call him Coach Harris to his face.

Advertisement
In other news, Blake James has announced at $20 million dollar donation from Roto Rooter. Instead of head coach, the title will be known as "Grand Poobah Of Poo Poo".

:/

Advertisement
Back