I had to post this

CaneMonster

Redshirt Freshman
This from ESPN

2. Florida State

DB Derwin James: No doubt it's James, who could be the best prospect in the entire 2018 draft class. He is already hailed as a safety in the same class as Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor. It wouldn't be a surprise to see James go in the top five, rare air for a safety. He just needs to remain healthy after missing most of 2016. -- Jared Shanker

I know he's good but comparing him to Reed and especially Sean Taylor is a stretch. Derwin James is not as instinctive as either one of these Cane Legends.

Ed Reed would pick off balls like no one I've seen at the safety spot and Sean Taylor was like Mozart on the football field.

He literally beat FSU, our biggest rival, by his **** self and in the rain at that. James could only wish he could take over a game like Taylor. ST covered the field like a cat.

In fact, football anywhere has yet to produce anything quite like these two, and that's including Derwin James!

Advertisement
as long as it is former Miami players still setting the standards that other players must measure up to all is good. Whether James lives up to it remains to be seen. Those guys had successful NFL careers, though one unfortunately cut dramatically short.

Reed = Future HOF safety and (conservatively) one of the top 5 at his position in the history of the NFL.
ST = A HOF talent who would have also registered in the top 5 at his position all-time but for some young punks tragically cutting his life short.

James doesn't have enough juice in his resume to bring Reed a cup of coffee or water the flowers on ST's grave.

Shanker is a F$U fvckboy. There will never be another safety as physically gifted, instinctual, and domineering as Sean Taylor.

lol at anyone comparing a kid to these GOATs. in Reed and Taylor we are literally talking about top 5 all time safeties (college and pro). call me when he dominates in college AND the league

Advertisement
It's weird how you never see UM fans comparing another UM safety to Sean Taylor or Ed Reed, it's always FSU comparing every safety that plays for them to one of our players.... they're on our nuts so bad it's hilarious lol

Derwin James hasnt done a single thing on the football field to even be compared to anyone let alone ST and Ed Reed.

Its a comparison, who cares. I mean people here compared Anthony Reddick to 26.

No, it's not a comparison. It's a declaration that D. James is on the same level as ST and Reed. Pure garbage.

Derwin James has one career interception and they're saying he's "in the same class as" two of the GOAT safeties. It's pathetic. FSU fans try to push this James rhetoric so hard, it's just weird.

Derwin James is a great player, but he hasn't proven **** in pass defense. He's a hard hitter with a nose for the football when playing downhill. He hasn't shown **** in terms of playing in space and defending deep

Advertisement
It's weird how you never see UM fans comparing another UM safety to Sean Taylor or Ed Reed, it's always FSU comparing every safety that plays for them to one of our players.... they're on our nuts so bad it's hilarious lol

That's because we knew we had no one like them since. It's football blasphemy to compare anyone including our guys to those guys. As good as Kenny Phillips was for us. He wasn't those two.

I use to get really bent when people compared other schools players to our alumni greats! But then I realized...this is because other schools haven't produced our level of greatness, to compare them to. Altough these guys being compared to our greatness, will never achieve this level, I find an element of comfort in knowing our alumni is still, to this day, the measuring stick for greatness!! They're not knocking our greats, they're fantasizing, that one day, their players will become a measuring stick too. THAT...is what makes us THE "U"!!!

there've been a number of guys compared to those two over the years. Notice no one is being compared to them, though. Reed and ST still set the standard at the Safety position.

Advertisement
Reed = Future HOF safety and (conservatively) one of the top 5 at his position in the history of the NFL.
Very conservatively. It's either Reed or Lott. I'm biased because Reed became my all-time favorite football player, but I can acknowledge the Lott arguments. Who are the other 3 you see in the discussion?

Derwin James has one career interception and they're saying he's "in the same class as" two of the GOAT safeties.

LOL..."one career interception"?...LOL..."As a freshman in 2015, James played in 12 games with 91 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four passes defended, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

As a freshman, James > Reed

Derwin James has one career interception and they're saying he's "in the same class as" two of the GOAT safeties.

LOL..."one career interception"?...LOL..."As a freshman in 2015, James played in 12 games with 91 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four passes defended, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

As a freshman, a lot of players were > Reed. So what? Is that the barometer now for being able to be labeled as "in the same class as Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor"?

And what is LOL worthy about claiming he has "one career interception"?

Derwin James College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

He's got a loooooooooong way to go to get to the career interception marks of Reed (21) or Taylor (14)

Advertisement

as a sophomore he got injured making a tackle against a Savannah state scrub.... Savannah St scrub >> James

Very conservatively. It's either Reed or Lott. I'm biased because Reed became my all-time favorite football player, but I can acknowledge the Lott arguments. Who are the other 3 you see in the discussion?

How about adding:

Ken Easley - every bit the player Lott was. Career was cut short with injury. 4x All Pro, was Defensive POY 1984.

Troy Polamalu - he and Reed were the best of their era

Larry Wilson - HOF. 8X All-Pro. Defensive POY. NFL 75th Anniversary Team.

Top 5 is hard, may need a Top 10

Advertisement
Back