I had to post this

Derwin James has one career interception and they're saying he's "in the same class as" two of the GOAT safeties.

LOL..."one career interception"?...LOL..."As a freshman in 2015, James played in 12 games with 91 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four passes defended, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

As a freshman, James > Reed
Ignoring the flaw of what you're insinuating, what makes those stats better than Reed's RS Frosh year? Reed was a Freshman All-American with 90 tackles, 7 PBUs, 4 Forced Fumbles, 5 TFLs, 2 sacks, 2 INTs, blocked punt. Look forward to why you think Derwin James' first year playing stats were better than Reed's first year playing stats.

Advertisement
They tried to push that same false narrative with Gaylen Ramsey...

They're always trying to make their players seem as though they're going to be as great as our Legends & it always fails.

In fact, the only Legend they have on us is Deion Sanders, even Derrick Brooks as great as he was, isn't on the same level as Ray Lewis.

It's nothing more than confirmation that regardless of their recent success, they'll always be little brother.

They've only recently caught up to us, we had a huge lead on them for decades & they know their "reign" is coming to an end soon.

And as far as the gaytes, they need not compete.

Last edited:
Reed = Future HOF safety and (conservatively) one of the top 5 at his position in the history of the NFL.
Very conservatively. It's either Reed or Lott. I'm biased because Reed became my all-time favorite football player, but I can acknowledge the Lott arguments. Who are the other 3 you see in the discussion?

How about adding:

Ken Easley - every bit the player Lott was. Career was cut short with injury. 4x All Pro, was Defensive POY 1984.

Troy Polamalu - he and Reed were the best of their era

Larry Wilson - HOF. 8X All-Pro. Defensive POY. NFL 75th Anniversary Team.

Top 5 is hard, may need a Top 10
As you said Easley's career was cut short.
Troy was great player and a 1st ballot HOF, but Reed's production was better.
Larry Wilson was a 5x All-Pro, not 8 (8x Pro Bowler), while Lott was a 6x All-Pro and 10x Pro Bowler and Reed was a 5x All-Pro and 9x Pro Bowler.

Good names, though. They're commonly in the debate that usually end up as a death duel between Lott and Reed.

They tried to push that same false narrative with Gaylen Ramsey...

They're always trying to make their players seem as though they're going to be as great as our Legends & it always fails.

In fact, the only Legend they have on us is Deion Sanders, even Derrick Brooks as great as he was, isn't on the same level as Ray Lewis.

It's nothing more than confirmation that regardless of their recent success, they'll always be little brother.

They've only recently caught up to us, we had a huge lead on them for decades & they know their "reign" is coming to an end soon.

And as far as the gaytes, they need not compete.

Lol gaylen

Advertisement
Ignoring the flaw of what you're insinuating, what makes those stats better than Reed's RS Frosh year? Reed was a Freshman All-American with 90 tackles, 7 PBUs, 4 Forced Fumbles, 5 TFLs, 2 sacks, 2 INTs, blocked punt. Look forward to why you think Derwin James' first year playing stats were better than Reed's first year playing stats.

****, didn't realize Ed put up those numbers as a frosh...was juggling 2 or 3 jobs at that time so I really wasn't following the program that much.

Reed = Future HOF safety and (conservatively) one of the top 5 at his position in the history of the NFL.
Very conservatively. It's either Reed or Lott. I'm biased because Reed became my all-time favorite football player, but I can acknowledge the Lott arguments. Who are the other 3 you see in the discussion?

I was definitely being conservative, as I am also a huge fan of Ed Reed (one of my all-time favorite Hurricanes). But if I had to list a top 5 in the modern era it would be Reed, Lott, Atwater, Polamalu, and Jack Tatum (in no particular order). I'm too young to have seen Tatum live, but my dad and uncle swear the guy was one of the hardest hitting football players ever (regardless of position).

Advertisement

How about adding:

Ken Easley - every bit the player Lott was. Career was cut short with injury. 4x All Pro, was Defensive POY 1984.

Larry Wilson was a 5x All-Pro, not 8 (8x Pro Bowler), while Lott was a 6x All-Pro and 10x Pro Bowler and Reed was a 5x All-Pro and 9x Pro Bowler.

Good names, though. They're commonly in the debate that usually end up as a death duel between Lott and Reed.

I was merely adding to the list of all-time great safeties. I wouldn't put the three of them ahead of Reed and Lott.

Cardinals DC at the time is 'credited' with inventing the safety blitz. Wilson's speed and athleticism made the play possible. Changed the game was played. Few players can say that.

Reed is the GOAT safety. Taylor had a superhuman college career and one of the most promising starts to a pro career ever at that position.

Derwin James... has had one great season in college. Any shill who compares James to the two guys above has neither sense nor decency.

How about adding:

I was merely adding to the list of all-time great safeties. I wouldn't put the three of them ahead of Reed and Lott.

Cardinals DC at the time is 'credited' with inventing the safety blitz. Wilson's speed and athleticism made the play possible. Changed the game was played. Few players can say that.
Love that tidbit. Didn't know it. Thanks for sharing. I played Safety and absolutely love everything about the position. Learn something new every day.

Advertisement

****, didn't realize Ed put up those numbers as a frosh...was juggling 2 or 3 jobs at that time so I really wasn't following the program that much.

So basically you just jizzed out some misinformed garbage. CaneSinceNever is more accurate

Derwin James is a very good football player but he's not Sean Taylor or ed reed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Derwin James has one career interception and they're saying he's "in the same class as" two of the GOAT safeties.

LOL..."one career interception"?...LOL..."As a freshman in 2015, James played in 12 games with 91 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four passes defended, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

As a freshman, James > Reed

lmaoo [MENTION=16725]fran[/MENTION]chise

Ronnie Lott best safety to ever play the game. Don't care he didn't play here. Ed Reed, Polomulo, possibly 26 if stayed with us longer follow in my era are next best 3. Although sentimentally, I always liked Brian Dawkins, he us not in these men's class.

Book still open on James. Will say him getting hurt last year seemed to really hurt there defense alot. Let's see how he does this year before anyone says he is the greatest in college this year.

Can't fight you on that, Lu, BUT .....

You would have to catch me on a very bad day to convince me that "ST-26" shouldn't be in that trifecta.

Ronnie Lott best safety to ever play the game. Don't care he didn't play here. Ed Reed, Polomulo, possibly 26 if stayed with us longer follow in my era are next best 3. Although sentimentally, I always liked Brian Dawkins, he us not in these men's class.

Book still open on James. Will say him getting hurt last year seemed to really hurt there defense alot. Let's see how he does this year before anyone says he is the greatest in college this year.

IMG_4034.GIF

Advertisement
Back