I don't understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Not even talking about racism but just in general. Can anyone else think of a city that is as different from the rest of the state as Miami is to Florida. I can’t think of any but I’m sure there has to be others.

As a black man from Miami sure in Miami today it may not be as bad but the racism is still here no matter where we go

Advertisement
Let’s be honest about it...the city of Miami and that state of Florida don’t exactly have a stellar history with regards to race relations, inclusion, equality, etc. I’m not from Florida or the region, but I don’t have to be to see that it’s a glass house when it comes to this subject. I’m from Ohio and it’s far from perfect here as well. I can say that from perspective I would be much more concerned about issues that could directly impact me. versus that of some drunken sorority girls posting stupid **** online or a hillbilly with a Confederate flag on the wall of his dorm room. That bull**** just doesn’t matter to me, but the legacy of Arthur McDuffie, Neville Johnson, Trayvon Martin or that Tamir Rice ****ery up here near me absolutely do. Maybe it’s because I can see myself in those mentioned incidents. I don’t see how Miami is so different and such much better. Am I missing something? And before anyone asks, I’m black, (in the words of the great ***** poet, O’shea Jackson, Sr. “Blacker than a trillion midnights”). I just can’t co-sign the notion that the OP brings up. I’m not at all defending the racist behaviors and activities by people (of any age) at places like Alabama and Ole Miss, it’s trash, but I’d be disingenuous if I sat here and acted like racism and root for you on Saturday because you can help us win/no use for the other 6 days a week type of mentalities don’t exist amongst our own. ****, it’s not uncommon for that type of thinking to be exhibited right here on CIS.

I’m really interested in hearing the opinions of the locals down in Florida, to get a real, honest and undiluted take on this subject. I’ll hang up and listen.
I think whenever Miami is mentioned, you think of the diversity in terms of the multitudes of races, ethnicities, etc compared to the other Deep South towns. However, that doesn’t mean South Florida is immune to prejudicial or racist behavior, like how previously blacks had to go to a specific beach in Broward or race riots my dad told me about previously in the 50s or 60s. But it sure isn’t Deep South Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, or certain parts of central/northern Florida. And for context, I’m a black dude born and raised in Miami, went to school at FAMU, studied extra in North Carolina, and now reside in South Georgia.

But a 16-18 year old kid quite frankly is not going to look at this unfortunately. They’re thinking bags, NFL dreams, championships, 100,000 fans on Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back