I don't understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoyalCane24

Junior
why a black athlete wants to play football at schools like ole miss, alabama, or georgia.

This should be sent to recruits.

Go to miami where you will be loved by the community or go to SEC schools where your fans wouldn't have you for dinner.

Advertisement
why a black athlete wants to play football at schools like ole miss, alabama, or georgia.

This should be sent to recruits.

Go to miami where you will be loved by the community or go to SEC schools where your fans wouldn't have you for dinner.

For the 400 billionth time, it’s the bags and it will always be about the bags until the NCAA allows these kids to finally get paid.

Let’s be honest about it...the city of Miami and that state of Florida don’t exactly have a stellar history with regards to race relations, inclusion, equality, etc. I’m not from Florida or the region, but I don’t have to be to see that it’s a glass house when it comes to this subject. I’m from Ohio and it’s far from perfect here as well. I can say that from perspective I would be much more concerned about issues that could directly impact me. versus that of some drunken sorority girls posting stupid **** online or a hillbilly with a Confederate flag on the wall of his dorm room. That bull**** just doesn’t matter to me, but the legacy of Arthur McDuffie, Neville Johnson, Trayvon Martin or that Tamir Rice ****ery up here near me absolutely do. Maybe it’s because I can see myself in those mentioned incidents. I don’t see how Miami is so different and such much better. Am I missing something? And before anyone asks, I’m black, (in the words of the great ***** poet, O’shea Jackson, Sr. “Blacker than a trillion midnights”). I just can’t co-sign the notion that the OP brings up. I’m not at all defending the racist behaviors and activities by people (of any age) at places like Alabama and Ole Miss, it’s trash, but I’d be disingenuous if I sat here and acted like racism and root for you on Saturday because you can help us win/no use for the other 6 days a week type of mentalities don’t exist amongst our own. ****, it’s not uncommon for that type of thinking to be exhibited right here on CIS.

I’m really interested in hearing the opinions of the locals down in Florida, to get a real, honest and undiluted take on this subject. I’ll hang up and listen.

Advertisement
Let’s be honest about it...the city of Miami and that state of Florida don’t exactly have a stellar history with regards to race relations, inclusion, equality, etc. I’m not from Florida or the region, but I don’t have to be to see that it’s a glass house when it comes to this subject. I’m from Ohio and it’s far from perfect here as well. I can say that from perspective I would be much more concerned about issues that could directly impact me. versus that of some drunken sorority girls posting stupid **** online or a hillbilly with a Confederate flag on the wall of his dorm room. That bull**** just doesn’t matter to me, but the legacy of Arthur McDuffie, Neville Johnson, Trayvon Martin or that Tamir Rice ****ery up here near me absolutely do. Maybe it’s because I can see myself in those mentioned incidents. I don’t see how Miami is so different and such much better. Am I missing something? And before anyone asks, I’m black, (in the words of the great ***** poet, O’shea Jackson, Sr. “Blacker than a trillion midnights”). I just can’t co-sign the notion that the OP brings up. I’m not at all defending the racist behaviors and activities by people (of any age) at places like Alabama and Ole Miss, it’s trash, but I’d be disingenuous if I sat here and acted like racism and root for you on Saturday because you can help us win/no use for the other 6 days a week type of mentalities don’t exist amongst our own. ****, it’s not uncommon for that type of thinking to be exhibited right here on CIS.

I’m really interested in hearing the opinions of the locals down in Florida, to get a real, honest and undiluted take on this subject. I’ll hang up and listen.

Parts of Florida are worse than Bama actually. Lake, Marion, Sumter, Clay, and Calhoun counties are examples of areas where racism is right out in the open. I saw a guy selling enormous Confederate flags at an abandoned gas station in Lake country a few months ago. I wanted to buy em and wipe my *** with em in front of him, but I had kids with me. This type of stuff is more rare in greater Miami but it does exist. Florida is like may states in one, there's areas of great inclusion and diversity, but also racism can be shown proudly in the open as well.

Parts of Florida are worse than Bama actually. Lake, Marion, Sumter, Clay, and Calhoun counties are examples of areas where racism is right out in the open. I saw a guy selling enormous Confederate flags at an abandoned gas station in Lake country a few months ago. I wanted to buy em and wipe my *** with em in front of him, but I had kids with me. This type of stuff is more rare in greater Miami but it does exist. Florida is like may states in one, there's areas of great inclusion and diversity, but also racism can be shown proudly in the open as well.

I get what you are saying and I agree but when do you think is the last time a UM football player was leaving the greater Miami area to spend time in Lake, Marion, Sumter, Clay and Calhoun county? These schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia you can probably knock on your dorm neighbors door and find a confederate flag and a Gucci black face sweater. While I’m sure I would be wrong if I said UM’s campus has a perfect record in avoiding absolutely all racist acts from all human beings that step foot on campus or cheer for our teams I am also sure comparing what our student athletes deal with when it comes to racism and prejudice is absolutely nothing compared to the crap that goes on at some of these SEC schools.

Advertisement
I get what you are saying and I agree but when do you think is the last time a UM football player was leaving the greater Miami area to spend time in Lake, Marion, Sumter, Clay and Calhoun county? These schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia you can probably knock on your dorm neighbors door and find a confederate flag and a Gucci black face sweater. While I’m sure I would be wrong if I said UM’s campus has a perfect record in avoiding absolutely all racist acts from all human beings that step foot on campus or cheer for our teams I am also sure comparing what our student athletes deal with when it comes to racism and prejudice is absolutely nothing compared to the crap that goes on at some of these SEC schools.

Like I said, the greater Miami area has less open racism than other parts of Florida. So I agree with ya there. It's not zero tho. In fact one of my co-workers is from Miami, is a gigantic Cane fan, and he's completely and totally racist. So let's not act like there's no racism in Miami.Also, I stick with my main point, that Florida scores pretty high on the racist scale, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I saw the title of the thread...."I Don't Understand"....and I got all excited because that's also the title of my autobiography.....

You realize you cited two cases from the 1980’s which happen over 35 years ago and Trayvon Martin happened in Sanford which is not anywhere close to South Florida right....

South Florida is very different from the rest of the South. Not trying to claim it’s perfect, it’s far from that but just I am just saying.

Also, as a black man according to FBI statistics you are far more likely to be killed by another black man. As white people are far more likely to be killed by other white and Hispanics are more likely to be killed by other Hispanics!

Advertisement

You want to know how people feel in a city or county follow how they vote and that says a lot about the culture and direction of the area.

Advertisement
You realize you cited two cases from the 1980’s which happen over 35 years ago and Trayvon Martin happened in Sanford which is not anywhere close to South Florida right....

South Florida is very different from the rest of the South. Not trying to claim it’s perfect, it’s far from that but just I am just saying.

Also, as a black man according to FBI statistics you are far more likely to be killed by another black man. As white people are far more likely to be killed by other white and Hispanics are more likely to be killed by other Hispanics!
Those statistics are really not relevant when talking about discrimination and limiting opportunities for entire race of people

Like I said, the greater Miami area has less open racism than other parts of Florida. So I agree with ya there. It's not zero tho. In fact one of my co-workers is from Miami, is a gigantic Cane fan, and he's completely and totally racist. So let's not act like there's no racism in Miami.Also, I stick with my main point, that Florida scores pretty high on the racist scale, unfortunately.
Again we agree on the basic obvious stuff, racism is everywhere. That’s a fact. But I guess what I’m saying as someone who was born and raised in Miami and I’m sure the other locals on here would agree. While Miami is technically in Florida it’s not anything like the rest of Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back