I cannot believe I am seeing BS about Poff get #2 over Emory. WTF?

Advertisement
Emory Williams didn't beat Clemson last year.; defense and game management did.

Williams was 24 for 33 with a touchdown and an interception—with a very watered-down game plan to keep the freshman from ******** it up.

Clemson turned it over three times, Miami turned it over once—and the game still needed overtime, as well as the 14-point swing from the Shipley fumble to the quirky handoff to George which sprung an 80-yard touchdown.

And let's not rewrite history. Williams was 8 of 23 against Florida State with two touchdowns. Miami got he ball on the 12-yard line with 4:28 remaining, which was down to 2:30 when Williams got hurt running for the first down and Van Dyke took over from the 20-yard line.

At best the Canes were playing for overtime; laughable to say that Williams "probably would've beaten FSU" if he didn't get hurt".

If coaches have Poff in the #2 spot. great. I'll take their eyes over any Williams fan-boy's hot takes.

TVD completed the same amount of passes that one drive that emory did in the entire 2nd half lol what driving and believing did u actually see? In the 2nd half he completed ONE pass that passed the line of scrimmage that fsu safety should have had a walk in pick6

Its insane how delusional yall get for players yall like lol, its like yall in a different universe
For the sake of those of us slightly less insane, can you please add “some of” before y’all in the future?

PS. I see this exactly the same as you.

Advertisement
You would know, my man. Thanks.

See how easy that was? Didn't even need a 4-page thread for it...

I'll just say this, if @Memnon has seen things and formed his opinions, I believe the coaches have also done so.

Unless the kid's name was Lu-reese Poffen-tobal, I would trust the coaches on this one.

lol I know we only saw Poff in the Spring Game, but that’s pretty telling of Emory if that’s really true

Nah.

Emory was a true freshman last year. Poff is a seasoned vet. Maybe Emory will surpass him someday, but that day is not today.

Emory literally had one lucky long TD pass against fsu and that’s it lol
Even though he threw 2 TD's

Mark Wahlberg No GIF by Daddy's Home

Emory Williams didn't beat Clemson last year.; defense and game management did.

Williams was 24 for 33 with a touchdown and an interception—with a very watered-down game plan to keep the freshman from ******** it up.

Clemson turned it over three times, Miami turned it over once—and the game still needed overtime, as well as the 14-point swing from the Shipley fumble to the quirky handoff to George which sprung an 80-yard touchdown.

And let's not rewrite history. Williams was 8 of 23 against Florida State with two touchdowns. Miami got he ball on the 12-yard line with 4:28 remaining, which was down to 2:30 when Williams got hurt running for the first down and Van Dyke took over from the 20-yard line.

At best the Canes were playing for overtime; laughable to say that Williams "probably would've beaten FSU" if he didn't get hurt".

If coaches have Poff in the #2 spot. great. I'll take their eyes over any Williams fan-boy's hot takes.
Again, no disrespect here.

It's a team game. Always was, always will be. Our great offense in 2001 had bad unexpected games where the D bailed us out, and vice versa. Again, small sample size. With better management comes better defense. Not throwing picks like TVD gets the D rested. 2nd half had more consistent drives and kept our D a bit fresher to do what they do best when they got back out there.

As the game went on EW was definitely more comfortable, esp in the 2nd half. Not hard to look at the drive charts.

Again, team game. BC game back vs our super team and countless others........ 20 years later not many talk about the close ones we should have trampled teams because a win is a win. That's why you play the game.

Brady, is one example. Some here would have written him off with his mediocre jr and avg senior season. He was lucky to get drafted. there are countless others. Even Bennett at Georgia is another example.

Also, does not mean I expect EW number 2, hence why I said earlier may the best man win. I just do not understand how he is being written off after a true f'man season with limited snaps and doing what he did to beat Clemson instead of us getting spanked like usual and keeping us in the FSU game until he got hurt getting a crucial 1st down. It was the first time in years where i was able to watch us vs both where we were not done by halftime.

Advertisement
What about the guy who is so talented he threw, ran and caught TDs last year? :pgdead:
Judd the Stud for #2 (not talkin' closets). If that doesn't work, maybe he can play Center for Coach L.

Advertisement
I see some porsters have have had their estrogen therapy dosages increased.

Emory DAW GAWD QB.

The first of his name and heir to Greentree *******.

From what you saw last year and this spring (I know few have access to GREENTREE) how do you not have a good amount of confidence in Emory as #2?
I am seeing **** (online and CIS) about Poff being better than Emory. maybe being #2, **** that, Emory beat Clemson and would probably have beaten FSPOO POO had he not gotten hurt.
I think that Emory is the solid #2. Maybe the season will show differently, but I not putting Poff in at back-up over Emory. Unless they have a poor run defense, LOL
You guys agree?

I see you, Emory! God Bless! @emory_williams_9
You gotta understand the strategy in this. It's a reps thing. A #2qb gets limited reps in practice meaning his exposure is minimal. Now if you take a QB and put him at scout team (which I'd imagine we'll be using Emory and judd at)then he's working **** near all week against your starting defense. So while you're counting on one immediately in case you need to get him in the game, the other gets far more development. I'd far rather have Emory at scout this season. It'll get him ready for next season instead of appeasing fans now.

You gotta understand the strategy in this. It's a reps thing. A #2qb gets limited reps in practice meaning his exposure is minimal. Now if you take a QB and put him at scout team (which I'd imagine we'll be using Emory and judd at)then he's working **** near all week against your starting defense. So while you're counting on one immediately in case you need to get him in the game, the other gets far more development. I'd far rather have Emory at scout this season. It'll get him ready for next season instead of appeasing fans now.
Facts

Advertisement

Well, maybe if we run Emory as our scout team QB all season, it will teach our defense how to injure the opposing QB each week...

Nba Playoffs GIF by Milwaukee Bucks

I mean no disrespect but how can you come to that conclusion based off of a small sample by a true freshman thrown into the starting qb with limited snaps? Then he goes back to being a back up w limited snaps and is put back in to start when it finally got through the coaches heads that TVD was not the answer. Heck, against FSU when TVD came in, we had a better chance to win with him sending everybody deep every play and just throwing up a hail mary each time.

And whoever said EW's late long pass to George was luck or a fluke???? Whatever. That pass was perfect against an archrival who was still playing aggressive and thought he was going to pick it off. Kudos to not just EW but for George for the concentration to make the play and finish.

Just one example would be Tom Brady. By your thought process he would have never been given a chance based off his early time at Michigan, and the pros. He was not good. Many examples of others, but he stands out the most obviously for his accomplishments when given time and experience.

Coaches definitely liked something about EW to make him 2nd string last season. Insiders here confirmed it.

As for Poff, again it is a small sample size against better talent across the board from where he played last season. Great numbers all around but this will be a huge step up from where he came.

Bottom line, our qb room is as good as it has been in quite a while. May the better man win the job. I just do not get why some have given up on EW based off last season's circumstances.
None taken. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "conclusion", that's just my opinion of him from what I've seen so far. That could change. I'm just not impressed, regardless of class, with how he performed.

For any Tom Brady there's hundreds of other kids who just weren't good, so not sure where that factors in. Could EW turn out to be a good qb? Sure. Would I want him to be our starting qb at any point this season? Absolutely not.

None taken. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "conclusion", that's just my opinion of him from what I've seen so far. That could change. I'm just not impressed, regardless of class, with how he performed.

For any Tom Brady there's hundreds of other kids who just weren't good, so not sure where that factors in. Could EW turn out to be a good qb? Sure. Would I want him to be our starting qb at any point this season? Absolutely not.
Where Brady factors in is that he proved everyone wrong given the chance, actually more than one chance. His stats in his sr year were pedestrian, esp the td/int ratio. His first pass in a college game was a pick 6. He would have been written off and eaten alive on this board. His NFL testing was horrendous. But he was given an opportunity and the rest is history. There are others and of course there were others who were recruited like gods only to be terrible. Again, Brady was written off but given a chance.

EW is getting over a break in his non throwing arm and some here think he will not improve from last season. Experience means everything. Some speak as though he has peaked. Truthfully, we really haven't started practicing yet, but soon. Our team still beat Clemson with him and FSU we will never know what could have been. Though his gutsy 1st down kept that hope alive.

You can also factor in our portal acquisitions. Why did we not recruit players like Ward, Martinez, or Brown coming out of high school? They went elsewhere and got reps and proved they belong and then some. We would not have taken any one of them in the portal if they didn't put up the numbers the way they did. And to some degree, same with Poff. Were they recruiting misses? Mass improvement based on getting consistent reps at their previous school to immediately be the best at their position in the portal (Ward & Martinez)? Other than Ward, before the season began last year, we would not have taken any of them over our current roster. Portal has changed the game in a big way. You can now make up for injuries, missed evaluations, etc

Great to see the competition. Looking forward to seeing the full roster out there with the late arrivals here. We can and should be contenders this season.

Advertisement
Back