Hypothetical QB question

ejfudd

More ads please!
Banned
None of the QBs had good numbers coming out of the spring. However, this year's defense was vastly superior (returning front seven) to last year's, and the scrimmages were full contact. If Kayaa were in the competition this year, how would he have performed? Would he have separated from the pack?

Advertisement
Considering nobody on the roster has a sniff of making an NFL roster (at the moment) I would sure hope so.

Whatever his faults, Kaaya would easily have distanced himself from the guys now on campus. Maybe one of them will end up being a better QB than Kaaya in the future, but right now it's not even close.

None of the QBs had good numbers coming out of the spring. However, this year's defense was vastly superior (returning front seven) to last year's, and the scrimmages were full contact. If Kayaa were in the competition this year, how would he have performed? Would he have separated from the pack?

YES

If only because Kaaya would have been a fourth year senior and would have had Richt's playbook imprinted in his head.

Advertisement
Everyone hates on Kayya like he was dog schit. This is a team sport and his OL was below avg. with WR who had a hard time seperating. Once he learns to subtly move around the rush in the pocket and deliver a strike he will be a money NFL QB. As Matthew Thomas will confirm, he's not afraid to take a hit. His Dorsey velocity throws were all due to a rush in his face. All that stuff is learned with experience by most. (Hopefully Stafford helps him with this) The intangibles he does have are the ones you can't easily teach. Decision making ect.

Kaaya was far better than ay of the QBs we have now. Don't know about Perry, he may be da gawd.

Advertisement
There's a reason why these guys competing for the starting spot now were all competing for second string last year.

Everyone hates on Kayya like he was dog schit. This is a team sport and his OL was below avg. with WR who had a hard time seperating. Once he learns to subtly move around the rush in the pocket and deliver a strike he will be a money NFL QB. As Matthew Thomas will confirm, he's not afraid to take a hit. His Dorsey velocity throws were all due to a rush in his face. All that stuff is learned with experience by most. (Hopefully Stafford helps him with this) The intangibles he does have are the ones you can't easily teach. Decision making ect.

I agree on Kaaya as a passer but I don't know if he'll ever be able to feel pressure and step up and/or around it like a pro style QB needs to do. Hope I'm wrong though.

Feel like Perry is gonna be a beast and trust his legs more by the time the season starts, he won't face a front 7 like ours even if we make it to the Championship game.

Advertisement
amin-o.gif

I agree on Kaaya as a passer but I don't know if he'll ever be able to feel pressure and step up and/or around it like a pro style QB needs to do. Hope I'm wrong though.
Career back up then?

Career back up then?

I don't know. I think he's a better passer than he gets credit for. His mobility is awful. For him to succeed I think he'd have to have much better pocket awareness and be able to move accordingly.

Advertisement
The OP's question was hypothetical, the sheer stupidity of the question was not

I think the question is a great one considering we lost several games last year when he panicked within a collapsing pocket. How would Kaaya have held up in full contact vs. our front 7? Let's look at how he did against pressure.

FSU: 19/32 | 59% completion | 6.7 Yards per catch | 2 TD | 1 Int
UNC: 16/31 | 52% completion | 7.2 yards per catch | 0 TD | 0 Int
VT: 23/38 | 61% completion | 8.5 yards per catch | 2 TD | 1 Int
ND: 26/42 | 62% completion | 6.9 yards per catch | 1 TD | 1 Int

Turns out he was pretty darn mediocre. Could he throw it on a rope and nail Njoku running in full stride once a game? ... yep. But go back and look at his stats for the tougher games. Most of his completions were high percentage passes to the WR screen or short slant and wheel routes. He averaged 6/7 yards a catch in 3 of those losses even with breakout YACs from Richards, Coley and Njoku.

The stats also don't show how inconsistent he was. For most of the FSU game, and over half of the Va Tech, UNC and ND games, Kaaya couldn't hit the state of Georgia if he was standing on the FL/GA state line. Even in the bowl game for the first quarter and a half, Kaaya was extremely shaky, and was bailed out by amazing play from Richards and Njoku.

I think all of us can agree that Rosier and Shirreffs won't come close to Brad's passing accuracy when he was protected and had a hot hand. But I am interested to see if they'll perform as well in game situations, given the added dimension they bring with being able to move with a moving pocket or scramble if the pocket breaks down. That compensates for a lot but is hard to measure.

Career back up then?

I don't know. I think he's a better passer than he gets credit for. His mobility is awful. For him to succeed I think he'd have to have much better pocket awareness and be able to move accordingly.

And a great offensive line.

For most of the FSU game, and over half of the Va Tech, UNC and ND games, Kaaya couldn't hit the state of Georgia if he was standing on the FL/GA state line. Even in the bowl game for the first quarter and a half, Kaaya was extremely shaky, and was bailed out by amazing play from Richards and Njoku.

Agree with you on the VT,UNC, & ND games, but I put half of that on Richt...taking over half of a game to make adjustments is way too long.

The FSU game?...I thought we had a good gameplan for that one, but IMHO, we lost that game because of 2 critical penalties. Obviously the hold on TSL was BS, but the neutral zone penalty on Coley when it looked like we were about to go up 20-3 was self inflicted.

Advertisement
Back