Hypothetical QB question

Advertisement
Everyone hates on Kayya like he was dog schit. This is a team sport and his OL was below avg. with WR who had a hard time seperating. Once he learns to subtly move around the rush in the pocket and deliver a strike he will be a money NFL QB. As Matthew Thomas will confirm, he's not afraid to take a hit. His Dorsey velocity throws were all due to a rush in his face. All that stuff is learned with experience by most. (Hopefully Stafford helps him with this) The intangibles he does have are the ones you can't easily teach. Decision making ect.

Are you serious right now?

He had an embarrassment of riches, throwing ball to Hurns, Dorsett, Coley, Walford and Njoku. They're all NFL players. Not to mention Waters who's also in the NFL, albeit he's changed position.

He's a poor decision maker.

Everyone hates on Kayya like he was dog schit. This is a team sport and his OL was below avg. with WR who had a hard time seperating. Once he learns to subtly move around the rush in the pocket and deliver a strike he will be a money NFL QB. As Matthew Thomas will confirm, he's not afraid to take a hit. His Dorsey velocity throws were all due to a rush in his face. All that stuff is learned with experience by most. (Hopefully Stafford helps him with this) The intangibles he does have are the ones you can't easily teach. Decision making ect.

Are you serious right now?

He had an embarrassment of riches, throwing ball to Hurns, Dorsett, Coley, Walford and Njoku. They're all NFL players. Not to mention Waters who's also in the NFL, albeit he's changed position.

He's a poor decision maker.

Maybe it was scheme?? Just watching games I never saw really open receivers like when watching any other college games. I'm no expert, just the eyeball test.

Whatever his faults, Kaaya would easily have distanced himself from the guys now on campus. Maybe one of them will end up being a better QB than Kaaya in the future, but right now it's not even close.

This. Even with cement feet.

Y'all can bag on Kaaya all you want but there are some bum QB's in the league right now. MATT MCGLOIN started a playoff game in the NFL. Kaaya is still young, he will learn, he will get better. He can play in the NFL

Advertisement
The OP's question was hypothetical, the sheer stupidity of the question was not

I think the question is a great one considering we lost several games last year when he panicked within a collapsing pocket. How would Kaaya have held up in full contact vs. our front 7? Let's look at how he did against pressure.

FSU: 19/32 | 59% completion | 6.7 Yards per catch | 2 TD | 1 Int
UNC: 16/31 | 52% completion | 7.2 yards per catch | 0 TD | 0 Int
VT: 23/38 | 61% completion | 8.5 yards per catch | 2 TD | 1 Int
ND: 26/42 | 62% completion | 6.9 yards per catch | 1 TD | 1 Int

Turns out he was pretty darn mediocre. Could he throw it on a rope and nail Njoku running in full stride once a game? ... yep. But go back and look at his stats for the tougher games. Most of his completions were high percentage passes to the WR screen or short slant and wheel routes. He averaged 6/7 yards a catch in 3 of those losses even with breakout YACs from Richards, Coley and Njoku.

The stats also don't show how inconsistent he was. For most of the FSU game, and over half of the Va Tech, UNC and ND games, Kaaya couldn't hit the state of Georgia if he was standing on the FL/GA state line. Even in the bowl game for the first quarter and a half, Kaaya was extremely shaky, and was bailed out by amazing play from Richards and Njoku.

I think all of us can agree that Rosier and Shirreffs won't come close to Brad's passing accuracy when he was protected and had a hot hand. But I am interested to see if they'll perform as well in game situations, given the added dimension they bring with being able to move with a moving pocket or scramble if the pocket breaks down. That compensates for a lot but is hard to measure.

Make sure to inclue a few more stats from those 4 games

Brad Sacked: FSU (3), UNC (2), VT (8) & ND (5). Are some of these on Brad - sure, but eight vs Va Tech - EIGHT

On D we gave up: FSU (407), UNC (461), Va Tech (523) & ND (411) - I am sure someone will argue will Brad was playing DB at Va Tech

Gino won a Heisman not bc he was a good QB but bc he had an amazing D

Advertisement
Back