Hypothetical 2017 Miami Offense

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
So, from what [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] and others have been hinting at regarding our offense ("more Clemson than 2001 Miami"), I thought I'd revisit an old post regarding how Clemson, Louisville and other teams run their offense - integrating RPO concepts into read-option and the power run game.

Here's the thread from this Spring: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/rpo-thread-coachs-mouth/118528

If you don't feel like sifting through it, I'll point out the things that I think are most relevant to us going forward as an offense with our current personnel.

First, this:

So how can/should Mark Richt integrate the RPO into Miami's offense? We already know he's installed many of the elementary single-read "handoff or pass" elements a la App State last year. As you can see above, while the basic RPO doesn't inherently require a "running QB", with the added dimension of at least the THREAT of a QB keep, many other options become available.

Imagine a basic 1st down setup: Rosier/Perry/QB of choice, Walton at RB, Herndon at H-back, AR at the X, Mullins at the Y, Dallas at the Z (for argument's sake.) From this personnel package could come any number of zone/power runs, hitches, bubbles, or slants to the slot or outside, even motion/jet sweeps to Deejay or Mullins depending on where the defense has been trending.

I'd wager most defenses this year will be ****-bent on stopping Walton and making whoever our new QB is beat them with his decision-making. The RPO is a great way to give any QB simple reads and one or two things to think about post-snap. Maybe we start out running those endless bubble screens to the outside to tighten up the DBs then go over the top or run a sluggo later in the game. Or maybe we work the inside slant/dig game to loosen up the LBs, mixed in with inside zone-reads to Walton to keep the defense guessing.

The recent "we need more fullbacks" quote has everyone in a tizzy, but as [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] and others have noted, you can run power football from the shotgun and using spread concepts. The videos I posted in the OP highlight some ways to pick up short yardage using the H-back and others as the focal point of the RPO. Herndon should FEAST if we're running this type of offense.

Another play from the Memphis offense this time: https://streamable.com/28ai

Memphis_ZR_RPO.jpg

I picked this play to highlight because it shows how a simple handoff-or-screen RPO (like we ran last year) can be coupled with zone-read and other WR routes to produce a particularly nasty play. In this clip, the play starts with motion from the TE to show a "power" look and to seal off the edge rusher (implying the inside zone run perhaps.) At the snap, the QB sees the 2 ILBs cheat down to take away the zone (first read). He then slides right and now has two options on the conflicted boundary CB - the WR screen in the slot or the WR running a go route on the edge. The CB (AND safety) bite hard on the screen and the QB dumps it to the go-WR for a walk-in TD.

I want to point out that that simple half-rollout from the QB is what gets the other defenders to commit and buys him enough time to make his 2nd read. That's what we could never get from Kaaya. Memphis QB Riley Ferguson is no Cam Newton or Vince Young - kid is 6'3, 180 lbs. But that THREAT of zone-read is what opens up the rest of the RPO playbook, IMO.

Also noted is that after getting burned on this play, those Houston CBs started playing way off, and that's when Memphis hit them with the easy screens that killed App State early on.

The bolded part in particular I think is very relevant to a guy like Rosier (or Perry).

Anyway, I just wanted to dust off an old thread that might have a bit more meaning as our updated offensive philosophy becomes clearer. As always, I welcome any and all input!

Advertisement
"qb of choice" actually has some wheels if you look at some of his highlights. So it is probably ok to mention him by name.

Sorry that was from spring when the QB battle was still a vast unknown...

Advertisement

Dude I hope you're right. The tempo and motion alone has me drooling. If I have time tomorrow, i'ma try to break down some of that film and apply it to our guys. If that's where we're headed and if Richt is committed to running that kind of offense here long term? Ooooweee!
I'll believe we bring in motion when we see it. I won't predict that because there isn't any evidence. However, I don't think we have much choice in terms of pace and formations. The one thing I'm afraid of re: Rosier is we may be more inclined to play on the edges.

Anyone see Michael Pinckney read Rosier's eyes on an in-breaking route to an outside WR? Made me a little nervous. I imagine they'll focus on cleaning that stuff up, but let's be real: only our 1st team defense can replicate what Rosier will see against FSU.

Click here to see the Rosier/Pinckney play: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYBWT8QD6OE/?hl=en&taken-by=56_nightmares

Dude I hope you're right. The tempo and motion alone has me drooling. If I have time tomorrow, i'ma try to break down some of that film and apply it to our guys. If that's where we're headed and if Richt is committed to running that kind of offense here long term? Ooooweee!
I'll believe we bring in motion when we see it. I won't predict that because there isn't any evidence. However, I don't think we have much choice in terms of pace and formations. The one thing I'm afraid of re: Rosier is we may be more inclined to play on the edges.

Anyone see Michael Pinckney read Rosier's eyes on an in-breaking route to an outside WR? Made me a little nervous. I imagine they'll focus on cleaning that stuff up, but let's be real: only our 1st team defense can replicate what Rosier will see against FSU.

Click here to see the Rosier/Pinckney play: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYBWT8QD6OE/?hl=en&taken-by=56_nightmares

That route combo was atrocious. 2 breaking slants from the same side. My grandmother could of picked that off. We better start using trades/shifts and motions this year. Last years offense was high school predictable.

Man that play highlights two of Rosier's most glaring issues, IMO - staring down his first read, and being a tick too late with the football. Add to that our proclivity for playing "horizontal" football (more on that later) and the threat of a pick-6 or two this year becomes very real...

Advertisement

That route combo was atrocious. 2 breaking slants from the same side. My grandmother could of picked that off. We better start using trades/shifts and motions this year. Last years offense was high school predictable.

After watching that clip a few times it almost looks like somebody didn't get their depth right, most likely the slot WR (actually looks like Irvin #87 .) The route combo looks like it should have been a simple deep curl + in route on the short side and a deep corner to the wide side. If Irvin takes a shallower cut, Pinckney would then have to choose to go with him (freeing up that deep curl) or continue to jump the curl, leaving the middle wide open. I think it was an okay route combo, just a missed assignment by Irvin and a late throw by Rosier.

Last edited:

Man that play highlights two of Rosier's most glaring issues, IMO - staring down his first read, and being a tick too late with the football. Add to that our proclivity for playing "horizontal" football (more on that later) and the threat of a pick-6 or two this year becomes very real...

WR at bottom was never looked at after pre snap.
I'm not sure the corner wouldn't have picked 6 had Rosier not been hit. The ball was behind the WR.

Lu/ghost

What do you think the reasoning would be for richt to not use motion? It's going to be very frustrating if the offense is as unimagitive as last year

I don't think there's a need for drastic changes.
Sure, we will see more 3 and 4 WR sets due to personnel being better at WR and lack of TE's, however if you look at the highlights of the Pitt game and the Duke game many of our best plays were from those types of formations anyway. (Njoku lined up at WR a lot.)

I think we will see little changes here and there and more quick tempo. Maybe some elements of Zone read which is why they talked to Helfrich in the off-season but I don't think we will see crazy new formations or motions.

Advertisement

Couple of things I want to point out on the above game film that [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] posted and how Miami can make the same kinds of plays work here:

First play of the game (4:03) - 4 WR stacked two on each side. The top stacked WRs fake screen causing a brief hesitation in the secondary, then it simply turns into 4 Vertical. That hesitation allows the WR to get the step he needs on the CB and beat him deep for the TD.

How we can use that - We can bet that we're going to play the horizontal WR screen game A LOT this season, especially early. Rosier seems to have quickened his release and can get the ball out to the boundary in a hurry - look for us to "App State" our way to success through the first 2 games (WR screen left, WR screen right, rinse, repeat.) Now, once everybody in the country knows we're a "screen team", we run this play and beat them over the top with the deep ball - something else Rosier can do well. Notice it doesn't even require the QB to pump or fake - just the simple hesitation from the WR is enough to get the defense leaning forward.

Next set of downs for USF (10:18) - running a "look at me" tempo offense now. Toss left, inside draw, and then a beautiful fake jet sweep QB keeper for a big gain.

How we can use that - Richt has said publicly he doesn't like the "look at me" offense (I don't either). That said, quotes from him, players, and other coaches suggest we are going to be an up-tempo offense most of the time. Think of running the jet sweep with Harley or Thomas or even Deejay Dallas. Now imagine we run that jet sweep to death through the first couple games (like the aforementioned WR screen.) Then that QB keeper with Rosier becomes a LEGITIMATE play - a dimension our offense sorely lacked last year, and yet another play that allows everyone to just play fast. The QB doesn't "decide" to keep it, it's a designed play that allows him to just run to the open space. Limit the QB's decisions, play fast. That's what I want to see from our offense with our current personnel.

Still playing up-tempo after the long run by Flowers (11:40) - exact same fake-sweep keeper picks up another 12 yards, and now the FSU defense is playing slow and hesitant. And this is only :90 into the freaking game. Another fake WR screen deep throw is *just* overthrown and now the pace slows down just a bit in the redzone. Same motion play again and this time Flowers gives it up on the jet sweep - only gains a couple, but it keeps the defense honest. A run on 3rd down picks up the 1st. It should be noted that there's been SIMPLE motion on just about every play - usually the slot WR motioning across the formation. In this case the give is to the RB and the motioning WR becomes a lead blocker allowing the play to develop - FSU's defense is spread out playing man, so USF is able to get a hat on a hat in the run game. After an inside run to the 1-yard line they reset quicker than FSU can get back (and quicker than the camera crew can follow) and score on a simple zone run.

How we can use that - This sequence of plays is where I hope we're headed with our run game. Work the edges with jet sweeps, keepers, tosses, and then work the inside with the lead draw. Get Harley, Thomas, Dallas, et al playing that sweep, and Walton on the inside zone. Add to that a tempo that keeps the defense falling backwards and it's a pretty **** good run game concept. Again, what I love about it, especially for this year, is that it's SIMPLE. Sweep, keeper, zone read, repeat. Run the same motion on every play so the defense doesn't know where the ball is going. This is why I think Walton is going to have a huge year if he stays healthy - those outside "horizontal" sweeps and keepers keep the defense from loading the box inside (think Georgia Tech, but without all the cut blocking and option shenanigans) and allowing Walton to not have to sift through as much traffic.

Next set of downs for USF (22:00) - Again 4 WR with motion. Fake jet sweep and now Flowers again goes over the top on another 4 Vert route, just missing the WR (if he had looked to the short side, the boundary WR had at least a step on the DB and would have scored easily.) New formation - Pistol with an H-Back working the inside zone run again. Finally on 3rd down Flowers gets sacked on a blitz for USF's first 3-and-out. FSU scores and now USF is playing from behind. Note - with 6 minutes left in the 1st quarter, USF has already run 13 plays. Flowers short-hops a WR screen to the motion WR, then a busted zone-read keeper loses yardage and a draw play picks up 10 short of the 1st down. 3 and out again.

How we can use that - So now we see what happens when things don't go perfectly. Flowers, like Rosier, is (IMO) not necessarily a "natural" QB, in the sense that he's not going to go through his reads, stand in the pocket, check down, etc. Both work best when they can play fast and instinctively. After that short-hopped screen, Flowers seemed to get inside his own head a bit, leading to another mistake on the zone-read. Richt has mentioned several times that Rosier sometimes has similar issues. As I also pointed out, Malik has a tendency to be a shade late on some of his throws, especially if he's not already in a rhythm, which could lead to nasty results if we play the heavy WR screen game. We can limit this by running those 1-read passes, quick screens, verticals etc. to keep Rosier playing fast. Maybe some rollouts to cut the field in half as well. Now at some point in the season, he's going to have to actually make a secondary read, but this is at least how I would START developing a comfort zone for a new QB.

Overall - If Lu and [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] are correct and this is where we're headed offensively, I really couldn't be happier. The first thing to be excited about is that an offense like this starts with PACE and TEMPO, as Lu pointed out. I want us to run 80+ plays a game with the guys we have. Richt has been preaching tempo and conditioning since Day 1 so I really hope we see this more as our base offense going forward.

Then you look at the formations - almost exclusively 4 WR (or 3 WR and a slot TE) and simple motion on just about every play. Again, I don't need to see us completely change our formation at the LOS or send 4 guys in motion, just a WR motioning across the formation CONSISTENTLY gives the defense one more thing to think about. Keeping the formations consistent also doesn't allow the defense to use the pre-snap formation to guess the play - no more "Hey #87 is in, it's a run!" Multiple plays from 2 or 3 formations with simple variations is what I'd like to see.

Finally, examining the playcalling - what I keep coming back to in this video is SIMPLICITY. For the last 15 years, it has seemed like we always try to outsmart ourselves on offense. Give the QB one read, limit the field, and play fast. That's how you play to the strengths of our current personnel. Rosier is at his best as a QB playing the boundary - go routes, screens, etc. If you look at the 15 or so plays I posted, not once did Flowers pass over the middle. As I said, eventually we have to open up the middle of the field in the passing game. The INT by Pinckney that Lu posted is an example. If the slot WR runs that in-route correctly and the LB jumps the curl, Rosier should be able to read that. Hopefully by the time we get to FSU he can. But you can still put points on an FSU defense using the kind of playcalls in this video - USF did it, and I'd like to think we have better athletes than they do. But what it's going to require is a thoughtful, progressive gameplan from Richt to keep the pressure off his new QB. Keep it simple, keep it fast, work the outside to the middle, and try to limit mistakes and overthinking through a sequence of plays that keeps the defense guessing.

Last edited:
Lu/ghost

What do you think the reasoning would be for richt to not use motion? It's going to be very frustrating if the offense is as unimagitive as last year

I honestly have no idea. The motion we saw on that USF video is really simple, so it's not like we'd be installing a whole bunch of new concepts. Maybe somebody smarter than me can chime in on that but I'm at a loss.

Great analysis ghost. There's quite a big group of canes fans that want rosier running a Quinton Flowers like role this year. Kept USF competitive versus FSU. With our defense we may snag a dub in Doak.

Advertisement
Lu/ghost

I honestly have no idea. The motion we saw on that USF video is really simple, so it's not like we'd be installing a whole bunch of new concepts. Maybe somebody smarter than me can chime in on that but I'm at a loss.

I don't understand it either. This is a weird example but it reminds me very much of Randy Shannon's Defense in the sense that the players rarely moved to confuse the Offense. Our Offense is designed to out talent the opponent rather than outsmart or confuse them. This is my biggest concern about CMR and his conservative nature.

Great analysis ghost. There's quite a big group of canes fans that want rosier running a Quinton Flowers like role this year. Kept USF competitive versus FSU. With our defense we may snag a dub in Doak.

FSU usually struggles with fast tempo and trickery Offense's such as Clemson, Oregon, UNC. I agree, Miami is going to have to think outside the box and leverage Rosier or Sherieff with their legs and confuse their Defense.

The thing about the kind of motion you see in the USF video is that it's not even all that confusing, it's just part of the offense. The motion WR allows for the jet sweep and other plays and is integrated into the formation. It would be a very easy install, IMO.

I think if Rosier can function against our 1st team defense I think he will be just fine against FSU.

Advertisement
Back