Hypothetical 2017 Miami Offense

Dude I hope you're right. The tempo and motion alone has me drooling. If I have time tomorrow, i'ma try to break down some of that film and apply it to our guys. If that's where we're headed and if Richt is committed to running that kind of offense here long term? Ooooweee!
I'll believe we bring in motion when we see it. I won't predict that because there isn't any evidence. However, I don't think we have much choice in terms of pace and formations. The one thing I'm afraid of re: Rosier is we may be more inclined to play on the edges.

Anyone see Michael Pinckney read Rosier's eyes on an in-breaking route to an outside WR? Made me a little nervous. I imagine they'll focus on cleaning that stuff up, but let's be real: only our 1st team defense can replicate what Rosier will see against FSU.

Click here to see the Rosier/Pinckney play: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYBWT8QD6OE/?hl=en&taken-by=56_nightmares

I think if Rosier can function against our 1st team defense I think he will be just fine against FSU.

In totality I agree with you, but for me that Pinckney play is still a bit troubling for two reasons - the stare down to the curl WR and the late throw. Those things will get a QB in trouble against any defense.

Advertisement

Dude I hope you're right. The tempo and motion alone has me drooling. If I have time tomorrow, i'ma try to break down some of that film and apply it to our guys. If that's where we're headed and if Richt is committed to running that kind of offense here long term? Ooooweee!
I'll believe we bring in motion when we see it. I won't predict that because there isn't any evidence. However, I don't think we have much choice in terms of pace and formations. The one thing I'm afraid of re: Rosier is we may be more inclined to play on the edges.

Anyone see Michael Pinckney read Rosier's eyes on an in-breaking route to an outside WR? Made me a little nervous. I imagine they'll focus on cleaning that stuff up, but let's be real: only our 1st team defense can replicate what Rosier will see against FSU.

Click here to see the Rosier/Pinckney play: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYBWT8QD6OE/?hl=en&taken-by=56_nightmares

I think if Rosier can function against our 1st team defense I think he will be just fine against FSU.

In totality I agree with you, but for me that Pinckney play is still a bit troubling for two reasons - the stare down to the curl WR and the late throw. Those things will get a QB in trouble against any defense.

And for this reason I am not so sure it's a foregone conclusion that Rosier is going to be named the starter. We could debate the different strengths of Evan and Malik all day long, and some of us have, raising very good points and making very strong cases for both. But what really matters is what strengths CMR values and what weaknesses is believes the team can absorb. IMO his biggest concern seems to be the "plays that will get you beat." Rarely is it the case that the QB has the natural athletic ability to win a game by himself, but every QB has the ability to single-handedly lose a game. And staring down receivers and being late on the trigger are sure fire ways to lose a game.

Hopefully when he brought in former Oregon OC/HC Mark Helfrich he was able to take some ideas from the offense they used to drop 59 points on FSU in the Rose Bowl. Lots of spread w/ motion and RPO.

https://youtu.be/j8NPIc6MHOU

Lots of fun watching this!!!!

Hopefully when he brought in former Oregon OC/HC Mark Helfrich he was able to take some ideas from the offense they used to drop 59 points on FSU in the Rose Bowl. Lots of spread w/ motion and RPO.

https://youtu.be/j8NPIc6MHOU

Lots of fun watching this!!!!

That was an interesting development this offseason. It will be interesting to see what CMR learned from him and if it will show on the field. Also makes me wonder if that is a relatoonship that will gain steam in the future.

Advertisement
My only hope that the offense looks anything like Oregon or Clemson is Helfrich meeting with Richt. Otherwise I wouldn't believe for a second a guy who refused to even motion, and had a vanilla, predictable offense on par with Golden's defense all of a sudden installed a dynamic, fast paced, QB-run centric offense for the first time.

I'm not as enamored with pre snap motion as others here but I would like to see the occasional shift where the offense sees the defense line up and then motions or shifts to counter the defensive alignment. Incorporating more fly sweep action keeps defenses honest, especially when you're trying to screen them to death. I'm praying that last year's offense was more a result of the personnel available (ie: lack of receivers, slow footed QB, depth at TE, NFL fullback) than what Richt really wants to run here. It seems counter productive to recruit all this speed on the outside only to waste it by running 21 or 12 personnel.

As always, thanks to Ghost and Lu for providing the in-depth film study session. I always enjoy the X's and O's side of football.

I'm not as enamored with pre snap motion as others here but I would like to see the occasional shift where the offense sees the defense line up and then motions or shifts to counter the defensive alignment. Incorporating more fly sweep action keeps defenses honest, especially when you're trying to screen them to death. I'm praying that last year's offense was more a result of the personnel available (ie: lack of receivers, slow footed QB, depth at TE, NFL fullback) than what Richt really wants to run here. It seems counter productive to recruit all this speed on the outside only to waste it by running 21 or 12 personnel.

As always, thanks to Ghost and Lu for providing the in-depth film study session. I always enjoy the X's and O's side of football.

Along with confusing the defense and keeping them honest, motion should give the QB an idea of what the defense is doing. It baffles me that we had almost zero motion with a 3rd year, NFL-drafted starter last year.

Along with confusing the defense and keeping them honest, motion should give the QB an idea of what the defense is doing. It baffles me that we had almost zero motion with a 3rd year, NFL-drafted starter last year.

Yes. Motion almost always gives away man to man coverage.

Advertisement

Not as much today as it did in the past. Seeing if a DB follows a motion receiver used to be a dead giveaway for man coverage but that's not really the case anymore. If you send a slot guy to the other side and the nickle CB follows him, he could still be in zone. His zone responsibility may just be flipped to the other side of the field, or the entire defense's zone could be flipped depending on what's called. Think about it. An offense breaks the huddle with two WR split left and two split right, the coverage is basic quarters or 4 deep. Now the offense motions one guy over, the defense has to react to that or they risk getting their zone overloaded. Even in zone, you're basically asking two guys to cover three if you don't shift your defense accordingly.

Not as much today as it did in the past. Seeing if a DB follows a motion receiver used to be a dead giveaway for man coverage but that's not really the case anymore. If you send a slot guy to the other side and the nickle CB follows him, he could still be in zone. His zone responsibility may just be flipped to the other side of the field, or the entire defense's zone could be flipped depending on what's called. Think about it. An offense breaks the huddle with two WR split left and two split right, the coverage is basic quarters or 4 deep. Now the offense motions one guy over, the defense has to react to that or they risk getting their zone overloaded. Even in zone, you're basically asking two guys to cover three if you don't shift your defense accordingly.

Point taken. But you can still have fun with the RB's and H-backs. Finding out who has then as a responsibility can tell a lot about the defense. Slide the RB or a TE to the slot and watch the LB's

He hasn't proven that he can function against our 1st team defense, has he? The last scrimmage was #1 offense vs #2 defense.

Re: the sweep action. Whether we run the jet sweep or not, which I hope we do, it'll help open up the inside run for Walton. We have explosive athletes now (Dallas, Harley, Thomas) that are legitimate edge threats that defenses have to account for. Running a jet sweep, or faking the sweep will benefit our inside run game.

Advertisement
Re: the sweep action. Whether we run the jet sweep or not, which I hope we do, it'll help open up the inside run for Walton. We have explosive athletes now (Dallas, Harley, Thomas) that are legitimate edge threats that defenses have to account for. Running a jet sweep, or faking the sweep will benefit our inside run game.

Yes yes and more yes.

I agree with everyone's input, so from what I'm reading, we're going to run a offense similar to Oregon, except with South Florida athletes. I'm with it.

This guy had very good numbers in both scrimmages. Whomever he went against, our second team defense should be better than 75/80% of teams we play against imo

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Man that play highlights two of Rosier's most glaring issues, IMO - staring down his first read, and being a tick too late with the football. Add to that our proclivity for playing "horizontal" football (more on that later) and the threat of a pick-6 or two this year becomes very real...

Rosier definitely had tunnel vision in 2015. I emphasized that in another thread today. Inexperienced quarterbacks with top skills generally get rid of that tendency but lesser quarterbacks tend to keep it. We'll have to see where Rosier slots.

I have to say these threads make me dizzy every season. Everyone wants finesse, finesse and more finesse. Tinkerbell route trees, roll outs and overboard screens. There is lip service to power aspects but nobody really cares.

I had to laugh when the fullback reference prompted such anxiety.

Meanwhile the top college programs are high volume rushing attempts often camouflaged by jet sweep fakes and other crap. The Canes have been stuck in the 32-34 rushing attempts per game neighborhood for several years now. That is essentially a forfeit. It should be tighter to 38-42 for a balanced warm weather offense. My alma mater USC finally figured that out the past few seasons and has been nicely planted in that 38-40 territory consistently, after dipping to as low as 30 one season during Kiffin idiocy. He drove the fan base crazy by substituting rushing attempts with screens to flat footed receivers near the sideline. In fact, for a while every game would begin that way.

Yes yes and more yes.

Has anyone actually seen in practice or games Richt use a jet sweep?

I think we'll see more tempo if the team can handle it. Sometimes when we tried to go fast last year, we had dumb procedural penalties.

I don't expect a lot of exotic shifts, but I do expect to see a little more motion. Now that we have a QB that can run and some burners in the slot (Thomas/Harley), I foresee some jet sweep/RPO/QB keeper action.

Advertisement
Back