Off-Topic Hurricane Season

You know for some reason I haven’t seen any aerial pictures posted, even though people have access to drones and things like that, it’s probably pretty hard to get them over there, because even though the bridge has reopened temporarily, obviously the focus is on other things. But thanks for letting me know.

Also, just like you, that’s one of my favorite areas, even though I’ve never lived there, it’s a great place to go spend a few days and chill, because it’s generally quiet and so beautiful. I also caught a riptide one time swimming, or I should say trying to swim, from Captiva to North Captiva and got swept out about 100 yards out the ocean before I even knew it. Thank God I can swim and don’t panic.
Yeah that Rip tide can be something else. When I worked at Tween Waters from 82-83 there was a HUGE 8 bedroom house on property that was used for employee housing (mostly Culinary personnel and Marina personal. The home (built in 1930) had a large wrap around porch, that was completely screened in. Every a.m...I'd walk across the street, hang my towel on one of large pieces of Driftwood, and dive into the Gulf...I'm talking only 400ft from the home. Didn't realize how good I had it.

Advertisement
Yeah that Rip tide can be something else. When I worked at Tween Waters from 82-83 there was a HUGE 8 bedroom house on property that was used for employee housing (mostly Culinary personnel and Marina personal. The home (built in 1930) had a large wrap around porch, that was completely screened in. Every a.m...I'd walk across the street, hang my towel on one of large pieces of Driftwood, and dive into the Gulf...I'm talking only 400ft from the home. Didn't realize how good I had it.

That actually sounds awesome. I wonder if that house is still up?

But the Rich keep staying...SWFL has more Millionaires than anywhere in the state...with Naples being #1....and Sarasota (Longboat Key) #3....and if you look at the areas that had the Worst of the Worst damage...they happen to be in areas that aren't the richest....Ft Myers Bch...Iona..etc..
What killed Captiva and Sanibel more than mass destruction was the Surge/Flooding/erosion..nothing that the US Corps of Engineers won't be working on quickly, by pumping sand back to replace what has eroded.
Does anyone on here know how people in Port Charlotte and Englewood did? I still haven't heard from our neighbors (who have a winter house in Englewood), but I'm gonna try to text them again now that I'm remembering.

We were looking for houses in that area and I've noticed that not only haven't houses been coming on the market like they were daily prior to Hurricane Ian... but a lot of houses were taken off the market on Zillow. To me that seems like they got hit to some degree... maybe water/wind damage to many homes?

Does anyone on here know how people in Port Charlotte and Englewood did? I still haven't heard from our neighbors (who have a winter house in Englewood), but I'm gonna try to text them again now that I'm remembering.

We were looking for houses in that area and I've noticed that not only haven't houses been coming on the market like they were daily prior to Hurricane Ian... but a lot of houses were taken off the market on Zillow. To me that seems like they got hit to some degree... maybe water/wind damage to many homes?
Both were Hammered...

Advertisement
Both were Hammered...
Just got a text from them… here is their reply

AB9E5448-F461-4981-828A-F4BB75215F76.jpeg

Just got a text from them… here is their reply

View attachment 211672
I have alot of friends in Sarasota, that's why I knew it was Bad. What I Love about Sarasota...alot of areas have heavy Fiber Optics, which we need throughout the State. As you can see, most Wooden Power Poles are now being replaced by Concrete Poles and are becoming obsolete...but we need to go a step further.

I have alot of friends in Sarasota, that's why I knew it was Bad. What I Love about Sarasota...alot of areas have heavy Fiber Optics, which we need throughout the State. As you can see, most Wooden Power Poles are now being replaced by Concrete Poles and are becoming obsolete...but we need to go a step further.
Nice… we hear Sarasota (or most of it) is pretty nice. We probably won’t be moving from NY for a few years… cause it’s a really big move for us with kids. But we have kept and eye out on the Port Charlotte/Englewood area since our neighbors are there. My wife’s dad lives in Zephyr Hills. But I used to watch Live PD (now OP Live) and they used to go to Pasco County and that seemed like woodchuck central! Not that there’s anything wrong with woodchucks! 😂

Nice… we hear Sarasota (or most of it) is pretty nice. We probably won’t be moving from NY for a few years… cause it’s a really big move for us with kids. But we have kept and eye out on the Port Charlotte/Englewood area since our neighbors are there. My wife’s dad lives in Zephyr Hills. But I used to watch Live PD (now OP Live) and they used to go to Pasco County and that seemed like woodchuck central! Not that there’s anything wrong with woodchucks! 😂
I know Pasco well...Great Artifact hunting for me...but white trash central...Sarasota is Beautiful....Where in NY are you??

Advertisement
I know Pasco well...Great Artifact hunting for me...but white trash central...Sarasota is Beautiful....Where in NY are you??
Ithaca area... hence the handle/name! We have tree huggers! LOL

It's nice this time of year ... but getting close to the cold and snow, which I'm not a huge fan of

Pasco county is rather big. Zephyr hills is more rural and new middle class homes.

Ithaca area... hence the handle/name! We have tree huggers! LOL

It's nice this time of year ... but getting close to the cold and snow, which I'm not a huge fan of
Nice area with lots of Apple Orchards...Last place I lived in NY was in Rockland County (Suffern/Tallman) from 1970-1974...Loved it...near the Hudson River, with a McIntosh Apple Orchard on our property.

Pasco county is rather big. Zephyr hills is more rural and new middle class homes.
I have a close friend who lives in Pasco....Has 20 acres and on his property he has two Orange Groves that swoop down to a Dried up Creek Bed (that thousands of yrs ago was a thriving Creek) all around the Creek at a depth of 1-2ft is nothing but Hundreds of Thousands of dollars of Indian Artifacts...unbeknownst to him until his teen yrs. Buddy has a Million Dollar collection...smh...it's about 3 miles from St Leo's College. Under and around the Creek there's a vein of Agatized Coral, that the Indians found, and used the outcroppings to make Arrowheads and Spearheads. Lucky isn't the word....

Advertisement
Nice area with lots of Apple Orchards...Last place I lived in NY was in Rockland County (Suffern/Tallman) from 1970-1974...Loved it...near the Hudson River, with a McIntosh Apple Orchard on our property.
I bet that is a nice place cause we used to travel to some outlet malls in Woodbury (end of Route 17) when I used to live in the Binghamton area (sidebar... in the Bingo area there is a place called Tony's Texas Hots that is this dumpy place but was/is a cool place to get some chili dogs... since we were talkin hot dogs in the other thread). That little jaunt from Woodbury to the city (essentially along the Hudson) was a cool/scenic drive.

NY is fine and all... but we are kinda sick of it, living here our whole lives... and the Covid restrictions and all that made us start to think about moving. If it was easy to move, we would have already done it. But moving sux!

I have a close friend who lives in Pasco....Has 20 acres and on his property he has two Orange Groves that swoop down to a Dried up Creek Bed (that thousands of yrs ago was a thriving Creek) all around the Creek at a depth of 1-2ft is nothing but Hundreds of Thousands of dollars of Indian Artifacts...unbeknownst to him until his teen yrs. Buddy has a Million Dollar collection...smh...it's about 3 miles from St Leo's College. Under and around the Creek there's a vein of Agatized Coral, that the Indians found, and used the outcroppings to make Arrowheads and Spearheads. Lucky isn't the word....
Insert “you lucky *******” from Life of Brian.

Cool... and I was mostly joking about woodchucks. ****, I get along with rednecks, liberals... I don't give a crap who you are. If you are a good dude/chick... you are cool with me!

And Live PD (OP Live) ... the cops aren't going to the nice areas of town usually... so I know that it's not representative of the whole county

Advertisement
Insert “you lucky *******” from Life of Brian.
Pantera....I have another friend who's family has 20 acres in Pasco as well....It's also renowned for Artifacts. They call it the Tick Island site...because of the crazy amount of Ticks on the property....but a friggin treasure trove of Artifacts have been found there for 40yrs....

Pantera....I have another friend who's family has 20 acres in Pasco as well....It's also renowned for Artifacts. They call it the Tick Island site...because of the crazy amount of Ticks on the property....but a friggin treasure trove of Artifacts have been found there for 40yrs....
It is kind of sad that all this ability for people to get tracts of land to farm and later find historic relics is going away.

It is kind of sad that all this ability for people to get tracts of land to farm and later find historic relics is going away.
NOBODY hates it more than me. For the 500+ Pristine Projectile Points I've found in 27yrs...I've found double that amount broken from Heavy Equipment. I have several friends who are Superintendents of Site Development companies, who give me a heads up when New Development is about to proceed. (Root Raking/Land Clearing) so as you can imagine, I've found hundreds of Heartbreakers that were broken by Equipment.

NOBODY hates it more than me. For the 500+ Pristine Projectile Points I've found in 27yrs...I've found double that amount broken from Heavy Equipment. I have several friends who are Superintendents of Site Development companies, who give me a heads up when New Development is about to proceed. (Root Raking/Land Clearing) so as you can imagine, I've found hundreds of Heartbreakers that were broken by Equipment.

I wonder how old some of those are, and how far back they go in time?

Advertisement
Back