Hurricane History

MiamiJoe

Sophomore
Miami won all of its Football and Baseball Titles after the 80s when Miami became the U... Before that it was like a community college after that it was University this is my opinion.

This was a post by the founder of a Hurricane Facebook page in discussion about hate for FSU or Florida as he thinks the Flop is insignificant because it was in 70's when he was born in 80's

Advertisement
Miami won all of its Football and Baseball Titles after the 80s when Miami became the U... Before that it was like a community college after that it was University this is my opinion.

This was a post by the founder of a Hurricane Facebook page in discussion about hate for FSU or Florida as he thinks the Flop is insignificant because it was in 70's when he was born in 80's

WTF?

Advertisement
In October 1950, while construction was underway on the library, Bayfront Park hosted 75,000 delirious University of Miami football fans that came to the city’s “front porch” to greet their heroes as they returned from a stunning upset of the Purdue Boilermakers. The previous week the Boilermakers had become the first team to defeat the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame in four years, and the Hurricanes had been given little chance against Purdue.

Joes point I think is that someone had made a statement minimizing anything of significance that happened with th Canes before 1980 when we became the U. (That actually happened in the seventies) If that was Joe's point I completely agree with him. We had some great teams with some good years and bad years.

Advertisement
Miami football tracks Miami's history as a city. Notable things happened in Miami before the 1980s just like the Miami football team had notable moments earlier in its history. The city and the football team truly came into the national focus in that decade. For those of us with deep roots in the city, there is always some poignancy and wistfulness when thinking back to what Miami was: first a pioneer town and then a mid-sized city similar to other southern cities but with some fascinating international influences.

An interesting side-note, I recently had a conversation with my granddad who was talking about the dominance of Miami high school football on a national stage as far back as the 40s and 50s. He played for Miami High, who didn't lose a game for several years and played teams from across the country. They were finally upended by a Lee Corso led Jackson High (where my grandmother attended school). It was a simpler time then but football roots run deep in Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
In October 1950, while construction was underway on the library, Bayfront Park hosted 75,000 delirious University of Miami football fans that came to the city’s “front porch” to greet their heroes as they returned from a stunning upset of the Purdue Boilermakers. The previous week the Boilermakers had become the first team to defeat the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame in four years, and the Hurricanes had been given little chance against Purdue.

My dad, RIP, use to tell me that story all the time. Miami came back by train with a sign that said "The Team that beat the team that beat Norte Dame".

They had a good team that year. I think they only lost one plus a close one in Bowl game.

Miami football tracks Miami's history as a city. Notable things happened in Miami before the 1980s just like the Miami football team had notable moments earlier in its history. The city and the football team truly came into the national focus in that decade. For those of us with deep roots in the city, there is always some poignancy and wistfulness when thinking back to what Miami was: first a pioneer town and then a mid-sized city similar to other southern cities but with some fascinating international influences.

An interesting side-note, I recently had a conversation with my granddad who was talking about the dominance of Miami high school football on a national stage as far back as the 40s and 50s. He played for Miami High, who didn't lose a game for several years and played teams from across the country. They were finally upended by a Lee Corso led Jackson High (where my grandmother attended school). It was a simpler time then but football roots run deep in Miami.

HS games played in the OB before massive crowds back in the past too. Before A/C, you played outdoors all the time. That sand base under our grass made even the white kids faster and that summer heat gave all of us natural endurance. Them midwest kids were beefier and stronger back then, but we were faster and never got tired. Same thing led to our Cane greatness.

Tell the Founder of the Hurricane Facebook page that he is an incoherent buffoon.
Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back