Hula Bowl 2022

Is freezing in Canada and risk getting CTE worth $60K per year?
Especially when he try and latch on as a grad assistant and maybe start coaching. Plus him having his degree, he'll be okay.

He can get on a practice squad and him being a high character guy and willing to work and not injury prone, he can make some money to save before hanging his cleats and joining coaching ranks or corporate America

Advertisement
Simon Fraser l, yeah they're DiV 2.
They recruit mainly BC and Washington, you got it's, smart man.
Western Mustangs they're comparable to Ohio State up here. A top 4 program annually, they're heavy white guy bro school.

When I played them in 2007 they had an NFL DT the got drafted in the 4th round Vaughn Martin. The quality has dropped off lately overall in college ball up here, more players play NCAA now.

It was honestly solid football to watch. That Western school and whomever they played. I was especting low quality high school level and it wasnt that. Size wise had some GUYS.

Yea Simon Fraser. I wish they would take a kid or two from down here, they would compete in no time.

Hey I coached a kid from Montreal that came down here and did work at WR. Ended up signing to Syracuse and scored 2 tds this year as a redshirt freshman.
It took awhile to get acclimmated to the physicality and the dog mentality down here but when he did he was a tough stop as a 6'5-6'6 210pd wr.

It was honestly solid football to watch. That Western school and whomever they played. I was especting low quality high school level and it wasnt that. Size wise had some GUYS.

Yea Simon Fraser. I wish they would take a kid or two from down here, they would compete in no time.

Hey I coached a kid from Montreal that came down here and did work at WR. Ended up signing to Syracuse and scored 2 tds this year as a redshirt freshman.
It took awhile to get acclimmated to the physicality and the dog mentality down here but when he did he was a tough stop as a 6'5-6'6 210pd wr.
Yeah, I played at university of Ottawa as an rb (we were top 4 and would beat western, between 2008 and 2011) as a running back and half my team was from Quebec. Their football is strong there, it's comparable to a mid level state, like Illinois or something.
They pump out about a dozen at least div 1 players annually.

The benefit of grabbing a guy up here is, no year round work for the players.

A freak of nature form Quebec got drafted by the Colts in 2011 as a WR, Samuel Giguère.

I compare the good program, like Laval or Calgary, college ball up here to a directional state school, like Western Michigan.
We just play a very different game up here.

2003-2006 with the Roughriders. Then signed with Indy in 2007 as Addai’s backup. He had a stint with Hamilton in 2009 also. He was a pretty good athlete. Played basketball until college (but couldn’t hold me though lol). Led the nation in yards per carry in his junior year.

Man that’s incredible. I see you had to throw your hoops game in as well haha. But that’s what’s up man. I like seeing guys keep their dreams alive and eventually attaining them. The CFL is a great option to do so.

Simon Fraser l, yeah they're DiV 2.
They recruit mainly BC and Washington, you got it's, smart man.
Western Mustangs they're comparable to Ohio State up here. A top 4 program annually, they're heavy white guy bro school.

When I played them in 2007 they had an NFL DT the got drafted in the 4th round Vaughn Martin. The quality has dropped off lately overall in college ball up here, more players play NCAA now.

Oh you played U-sports?

Advertisement
Yeah, I played at university of Ottawa as an rb (we were top 4 and would beat western, between 2008 and 2011) as a running back and half my team was from Quebec. Their football is strong there, it's comparable to a mid level state, like Illinois or something.
They pump out about a dozen at least div 1 players annually.

The benefit of grabbing a guy up here is, no year round work for the players.

A freak of nature form Quebec got drafted by the Colts in 2011 as a WR, Samuel Giguère.

I compare the good program, like Laval or Calgary, college ball up here to a directional state school, like Western Michigan.

Larval and Calgary are serious teams up there. I honestly think depending on the funding some D2 kids should explore that route or ncaa transfers.

2003-2006 with the Roughriders. Then signed with Indy in 2007 as Addai’s backup. He had a stint with Hamilton in 2009 also. He was a pretty good athlete. Played basketball until college (but couldn’t hold me though lol). Led the nation in yards per carry in his junior year.
Kenneth Keith? Buddy broke 100 against TB in 07

Advertisement
Oh you played U-sports?
Yeah from 2006 to 2011.
I was rb at university of Ottawa, was the lighting to a guys thunder.
Won an oua championship, had some big time studs on my team.
Brad Sinopoli who's been a stud in the CFL as a slot was our back up qb.

Yeah from 2006 to 2011.
I was rb at university of Ottawa, was the lighting to a guys thunder.
Won an oua championship, had some big time studs on my team.
Brad Sinopoli who's been a stud in the CFL as a slot was our back up qb.

Man that’s amazing. So you competed in the Vanier Cup when they used to pack the stadiums out? I saw some videos where there were nearly 30k attending the Vanier Cup.

Advertisement
Man that’s amazing. So you competed in the Vanier Cup when they used to pack the stadiums out? I saw some videos where there were nearly 30k attending the Vanier Cup.
Nope, no Vanier for me.
I was in the semi's vs uni of Saskatchewan, those boys were huge and ran the ball.

Oh haha. Saskatchewan is another power out there. Man that’s cool.
Came back to my home town and coached local high school (as a HC DC or OC)and the regional team (it was the OVFL and OFC now its its the OSFL, and some Canada wide regional teams, I coached a Central Ontario team, as either a HC or OC) did a bunch of university guest coaching at my alma mater and McMaster. I could coach in that league, just live in a town that doesn't have a U-Sports team.

Advertisement
That’s the part that can be hard for those of us from SoFla to grasp. I know. When I lived in Toronto I was an assistant coach for a high school football team in Oakville for a couple of years. Not only was the field longer and wider, ball bigger, 12 guys on the field, etc., but the mentality was different, too.

I would have kids come up to me and say, “Coach, I can’t come to practice tomorrow, because I have hockey.” And I’d be like, “Wait…what?!?!”

That’s the part that can be hard for those of us from SoFla to grasp. I know. When I lived in Toronto I was an assistant coach for a high school football team in Oakville for a couple of years. Not only was the field longer and wider, ball bigger, 12 guys on the field, etc., but the mentality was different, too.

I would have kids come up to me and say, “Coach, I can’t come to practice tomorrow, because I have hockey.” And I’d be like, “Wait…what?!?!”
Yeah I hear ya.

Oakville you were a little more lucky then where I am. Oakville is a more affluent area, I'm in North Ontario, Sudbury to be exact.
The mentality was a wild, kids wouldn't come to practice or even games because they wanted to go to their cottage to go fishing, or hunting... Also lots of kids held jobs.
Not all was bad though, very blue collar and rougher around the edges, so the kids that we're dedicated we're cement heads and loved to tackle hard and cause damage. Forced them to play with a chip on their shoulder since most places think our football was weaker, so I'd have to use my story as an example for most.

Yeah I hear ya.

Oakville you were a little more lucky then where I am. Oakville is a more affluent area, I'm in North Ontario, Sudbury to be exact.
The mentality was a wild, kids wouldn't come to practice or even games because they wanted to go to their cottage to go fishing, or hunting... Also lots of kids held jobs.
Not all was bad though, very blue collar and rougher around the edges, so the kids that we're dedicated we're cement heads and loved to tackle hard and cause damage. Forced them to play with a chip on their shoulder since most places think our football was weaker, so I'd have to use my story as an example for most.
Sudbury? That’s interesting. Yeah, those northern boys can definitely be rougher around the edges.

But the culture is different when it comes to football. Friday night lights? Forget about it. It’s more like Tuesday afternoon, game at 5pm. Lol. I remember thinking, “Where’s the stadium for our games?” There was no stadium. We played on the same field we practiced on and about 50 people would come and watch by standing on the opposite sideline.

Advertisement
Back