Hugh Freeze signs an extension

Hugh Freeze after signing an extension that raised his pay up to $3mill per by the year 2026, has now signed another deal that will make him one of the highest paid non P5 coaches at $4mill per year through 2028, with up to a $1million in incentives.

Scratch his name off the list of potential coaches for the many number of jobs that are & will be available for the upcoming offseason. (LSU, UF, VA Tech etc)

Smart move by him, it allows him to continue to build his resume at a program that fully supports him like Liberty & gives him the opportunity to essentially raise his stock where he can handpick the job he really wants when it comes open.

Most assume he’ll fall off once Malik Willis goes to the NFL, but he already has picked up high ranked 4-star QB Kaidon Salter from Cedar Hill TX, who originally signed with Tenn coming out of HS but after getting kicked out off the team due to two arrest has landed on his feet at Liberty.

Even with this extension, wouldn’t he be cheaper than a lot of other coaches?

Advertisement
I'm not disagreeing with you, but this isn't the thought process of an ambitious - "alpha" if you will - head coach. Good head coaches want to be the best, which is why so many leave "cushy" jobs to take higher and higher jobs that are high risk yet high reward.
Maybe he's so alpha he thinks he can turn Liberty into a playoff team. You don't get any more alpha than that. ;)

Hugh Freeze after signing an extension that raised his pay up to $3mill per by the year 2026, has now signed another deal that will make him one of the highest paid non P5 coaches at $4mill per year through 2028, with up to a $1million in incentives.

Scratch his name off the list of potential coaches for the many number of jobs that are & will be available for the upcoming offseason. (LSU, UF, VA Tech etc)

Smart move by him, it allows him to continue to build his resume at a program that fully supports him like Liberty & gives him the opportunity to essentially raise his stock where he can handpick the job he really wants when it comes open.

Most assume he’ll fall off once Malik Willis goes to the NFL, but he already has picked up high ranked 4-star QB Kaidon Salter from Cedar Hill TX, who originally signed with Tenn coming out of HS but after getting kicked out off the team due to two arrest has landed on his feet at Liberty.

Dude would of eaten at UM....my unrealistic top choice

Even with this extension, wouldn’t he be cheaper than a lot of other coaches?
Probably has a $100 buyout. I doubt he locked himself into anything. Liberty has a top notch P5 coach so he holds all the cards.

Advertisement
VA Tech will go after:
- Shane Beamer (who I don’t think leaves after one year in South Carolina)

- Mike Houston; whose done a good job at ECU & very well at James Madison

- Jamey Chadwell; Done a terrific job at Coastal Carolina, is a Super Redneck to the 10th power lol & might fit in at Blacksburg VA which is close to the VA/Kentucky/Tennessee border where Jamey is from.

- Charles Huff; whose had a really good year 1 at Marshall & is from the DMV area, former Bama & Penn St RB’s coach who is a very good recruiter

- Sean Lewis; who’s a young guy that’s done a solid job turning Kent St around from being a really bad program to at the very least being competitive & is heralded as a very good offensive guru. He’s a Dino Babers disciple from Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green & was his OC at Cuse before he went to Kent.

- Bill O’Brien; He’s been a name mentioned by some of their writers but it’s unclear if he would even be interested. Most expect him to lobby for going back to the NFL, but who knows, maybe he prefers college.

- Dave Clawson; It’s also been said by some of the writers covering VA Tech that they’ll make a run at Clawson, but IMO while VA Tech definitely has more resources & better opportunity at recruits than Wake Forest, I don’t think that would be a smart move for Clawson. Maybe he’s intrigued by the pay raise he’d get & maybe he feels he’s taken Wake as far as they can go this season, but if I was his agent I’d advise him to use this job to get more money from WF or just not take the job at all. VA Tech is a ****** job tbh.

There’s also been mentions of making a run at high profile Coordinators like Tony Elliott, Mike Elko, Marcus Freeman & Brent Pry (who’s a Frank Beamer disciple). I would hope they would make a mistake like that, because I’ll tell you right now if VA Tech hires an experiment Coordinator/First time HC, they will be screwed for the next 4-5 years.

I haven’t read this thread just a couple of your posts, but what’s to stop Freeze from jumping anyway? I have not seen the details of his contract, but haven’t coaches gotten extensions and then gone ahead and jumped to another school.

Unless the buyout is so ridiculously ornery that no one would touch it, then I don’t know.

How much of a hot commodity do you think Freeze is anyway? I mean will this extension stop a school like LSU from getting him if that’s what they want. Not saying that they do, because I have no idea who they eventually end up getting. But just putting that out as something to chew on.

I haven’t read this thread just a couple of your posts, but what’s to stop Freeze from jumping anyway? I have not seen the details of his contract, but haven’t coaches gotten extensions and then gone ahead and jumped to another school.

Unless the buyout is so ridiculously ornery that no one would touch it, then I don’t know.

How much of a hot commodity do you think Freeze is anyway? I mean will this extension stop a school like LSU from getting him if that’s what they want. Not saying that they do, because I have no idea who they eventually end up getting. But just putting that out as something to chew on.
Theoretically he could still leave if wanted, the buyout for his contract hasn’t been fully disclosed, but his contract is basically $28mill total, so the buyout will be somewhere around half that.

But Freeze isn’t just gonna jump ship right away, Liberty will be joining the CUSA in 2023 & as a program they have his back completely, meaning he has a blank check & full support.

The AD there was Baylor’s former AD Ian McCaw, he was the one that hired Art Briles & was there during the whole scandal, he’s basically Freeze’s right hand man & was the one who gave him a chance to redeem himself & his reputation as a HC after he got fired from Ole Miss.

Most of the major P5 schools still won’t touch Hugh Freeze because of the bad PR that would come of it, so there’s not really going to be a lot programs trying to have a bidding war for him. LSU is literally firing Ed Orgeron because of off the field scandals, so there’s no way they’d replace him with Hugh Freeze.

I’m not saying he’s going to stay at Liberty for the duration of his contract, but he’ll be there for a few years & raise his stock high enough to where a P5 school finally does have the sack to hire him he’ll be able to demand top dollar & enough time would have passed from the Ole Miss situation that he won’t receive as much backlash.

Theoretically he could still leave if wanted, the buyout for his contract hasn’t been fully disclosed, but his contract is basically $28mill total, so the buyout will be somewhere around half that.

****, Stoops' buyout is $20 M, and someone might pay that. I'd imagine that somebody in the SEC could buy out Freeze's ENTIRE CONTRACT if they wanted to. Like the old days of Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra. Just buy the contract.

Advertisement

But Freeze isn’t just gonna jump ship right away, Liberty will be joining the CUSA in 2023 & as a program they have his back completely, meaning he has a blank check & full support.

The AD there was Baylor’s former AD Ian McCaw, he was the one that hired Art Briles & was there during the whole scandal, he’s basically Freeze’s right hand man & was the one who gave him a chance to redeem himself & his reputation as a HC after he got fired from Ole Miss.

Most of the major P5 schools still won’t touch Hugh Freeze because of the bad PR that would come of it, so there’s not really going to be a lot programs trying to have a bidding war for him. LSU is literally firing Ed Orgeron because of off the field scandals, so there’s no way they’d replace him with Hugh Freeze.

I’m not saying he’s going to stay at Liberty for the duration of his contract, but he’ll be there for a few years & raise his stock high enough to where a P5 school finally does have the sack to hire him he’ll be able to demand top dollar & enough time would have passed from the Ole Miss situation that he won’t receive as much backlash.

Makes sense.

I didn’t realize that the P5 hesitancy towards him was so widespread.

The Freeze news doesn't surprise me too much.

The guy hit rock bottom. He was radioactive and nobody else wanted to come near him. Liberty gave him an opportunity and he has found success. Now they are willing to pay him $4M? That's serious coin for a lower tier program. He can earn lifechanging money and not worry about the stress of being fired the moment he loses 1 game. After the spiral he took, that's not a bad thing. I'm actually surprised more coaches don't do the same when they find a situation they enjoy. I get it.....many have super huge egos and want to prove to the world they are the best and live the rock star life. But at the end of the day, it's not always worth it.

Advertisement
Lost to army. Finishes the season 7-5. Tough schedule but still slightly disappointing considering their QB.

Advertisement
Back