Coaching How would you grade the OC/DC coordinator combo?

How would you grade the OC/DC coordinator combo?

• A+

• A

• A-

• B+

• B

• C

• D

• Second coming of Pat Nix/D'Onofrio

Results are only viewable after voting.
Advertisement
It’s a solid A- 93. Steele was a good B+/A- hire. Gattis is closer to an A-/A 94. None were first choices and the only reason it’s not an outright A. Keep in mind that no previous combo was higher than a B since the Butch days.

With Mario at the helm and what he brings to the table. I see this possibly being the best season performance from both coordinators. Reed said he didn’t see the eye of the tiger in the locker room. Mario will change that.

Advertisement
both are better than any of the names that have floated on here. We'll never truly know who was available but it's gotta be an A or A+

Steele > schumann and belk

gattis > brady, golesh, candle, briles, coen, rees, etc. Some people might argue about ken dorsey. I get it, he's an NFL OC but Gattis is a proven playcaller and top notch recruiter, and more than likely would have been the HC at michigan had the vikings not embarrassed harbaugh
What happened with that? I thought he was good to go? Was it more he was using then as leverage or they just didn’t want him?

A+

DC - we hired an experienced vet with legitimate SEC experience. A Broyles finalist who's led top 10 defenses.

OC - we hired an experienced play-caller who led a top 10 offense and won a Broyles award. From all accounts, he's a relentless recruiter who is being considered for HC positions.

I know I'm in the minority but I'd take Steele over Belk and Schumann all day. Mario is our elite recruiter. We don't need a recruiter at DC. We need a COACH. Steele is that dude! I'm just hoping he decides to stay awhile.

Gattis has led a top offense and appears to adjust to the talent he has. He's a top 5 OC and just took a lateral move, which is unheard of. Mario has balls for even considering picking up the phone lol. Gattis is coming to Coral Gables to do the same thing he did in Ann arbor. That's a HUGE STATEMENT move!

Not sure how Mario could do better. Both coordinators have had success in the same roles in difficult conferences. Both have been considered for head coaching positions.

What happened with that? I thought he was good to go? Was it more he was using then as leverage or they just didn’t want him?
I have no idea, he should fire his agent for that fiasco alone. To interview ON NSD and not get an offer? What a sh*t show

a christmas story GIF

Advertisement
I have no idea, he should fire his agent for that fiasco alone. To interview ON NSD and not get an offer? What a sh*t show
Man, that’s pretty ballsy. Like, he wants the **** outta Ann Harbor that badly. He must have been confident it was his job to lose. Lmao, man that’s got to hurt and worse, you have to take was Michigan gives you now. Where else can he go?

Advertisement
Zero..and I have no idea wtf gattis gonna. Do didn't wow me at Michigan
Lead the country in fewest negative plays, and most plays over 50 yards. Now I don't think what he did at Michigan will be exactly what he does here, but I see a coach that adapted to the talent he had and did quite well.

For me, I’d rate each on its own as a B+/A-. Very solid hires but there were some other dudes that I felt would have been better fits.

If I look at them as a unit/pair, and the way they complement each other, I’d say an A.

this is hands down the best
Hc/oc/dc in the acc and no one is even close
Mario is a true ceo type
And u can tell by his hires alone
He knows the best ceos are just the best delegators and motivators and that’s what he does
Man it’s just a different energy all the way around

Advertisement
Not only is the the OC/DC combo are an A... I have to say the trench coaches get an A and the S&C staff gets an A. This is wild... you wake me up and I'm swinging on you.

Advertisement
Back