How would you feel about us moving to a 3-4 Defense?

Advertisement
3-4 or 4-3 is such a 90’s question.

Yup. Modern offenses have rendered that moot. The fans who want us to play straight up Jimmy Johnson 4-3 like it's 1986 vs Oklahoma are deluded. Granted, we could probably get away with it and still do well if we had Jerome Brown, Sapp, Barrow, Armstead and Smith among others, but they aren't walking through the Hecht doors.

How is it completely false. Most of the players we get are usually undersized, in weight but more importantly in height. You need tall LBs to hold up against the guards they will take on inside most of the times. Minimum 6'2. Most of our best Lbs we have recruited recently have been 6'0 or so. Unless we are gonna take DL and start using them at LB. Which is gonna take coaching and patience. Look at Bama LBs if you think im lying or misinformed.
A 1-gap version of the 3-4 is basically the same thing as a 4-3.
And our LB's have to take on Guards NOW. What's the difference? lol

A lot of misconceptions about the 3-4.
If anything, it allows lighter guys to get on the field sooner. I'll explain...

If you recruit a DE that is light and needs to gain weight, he may not be ready to contribute in a 4-3. But I bet he's big enough to stand-up and play OLB in a 3-4. (anywhere from 6'2"-6'4" 245lbs-255lbs)

DT's that are maybe too light to play a 1-tech or 3-tech all game in a 4-3, can play DE in a 3-4. (think Leonard Taylor and JHH)

Furthermore, in the 3-4 Tite Front the LB's aren't taking on Guards at all. Both Guards are occupied.
(UGA's 1st round LB is like 225lbs if my memory served correct)

And I've said this a million times...

3-4 OLB's ARE JUST UNDERSIZED 4-3 DEFENSIVE ENDS!!!!!
There's a million of these bodies in Florida!

If you recruit a DE that is light and needs to gain weight, he may not be ready to contribute in a 4-3. But I bet he's big enough to stand-up and play OLB in a 3-4. (anywhere from 6'2"-6'4" 245lbs-255lbs)

DT's that are maybe too light to play a 1-tech or 3-tech all game in a 4-3, can play DE in a 3-4. (think Leonard Taylor and JHH)

Furthermore, in the 3-4 Tite Front the LB's aren't taking on Guards at all. Both Guards are occupied.

i think i'm just scarred from donofrio's 3-4 scheme

We're sitting here talking about 4-3 and 3-4 like it matters. Alabama, Georgia and Michigan run a "3-4" but look how much they actually are lined up that way. Wisconsin is the one 3-4 defense that actually plays a 3-4. I want an offense and defense that is versatile. It's not the same as it was when golden was here. Even Saban changed his 3-4 around 2014 after Oklahoma beat them in the sugar bowl. You don't need 250 lb linebackers. Alabama's two inside backers were around 230 this year. Georgia's we're about the same. Nakobe Dean is 6-0 225. Michigans we're 225-230. The only thing we'd need is 1-2 extra 300+ lb dts

Advertisement
We all have a bad taste in our mouth about 3-4 b/c that's what D'Oh No and Golden ran and we're associating 3-4 with the 3-4 that Golden and D'Oh No ran. Those defenses were memorably bad b/c it was conservative and read and react rather than upfield and aggressive. I'm not sure if 3-4 or 4-3 matter as long as the D is aggressive, fast and plays to the strengths of the kids we recruit.

Many eons ago, wasn’t this the concept of the “killer bees“ with the dolphins?

Many eons ago, wasn’t this the concept of the “killer bees“ with the dolphins?
The old Parcells 3-4 that ruled the 80's had the ends lined up fairly wide (either 4 or 5 technique) and relied on the inside linebackers to take on guards heads on. Those were the old days of 250lb ILBs who couldn't move but could stack and shed guards and fullbacks.

Advertisement

Yep, and if we using the one gap technique we don’t necessarily need the 6’2 350lb space eater that you would need to employ if we were 2 gapping. Meaning we can do well with current personnel.

Last edited:

Yup. Our front 7 under Golden was bigger than Seattle's front 7 the year they won the Super Bowl.

@Coach Macho….I’ve been screaming Hybrid fronts for years. That’s how you use use and get the most out of the Calijah Kanceys of the world.

I'm not partial to a particular scheme. What I would like to see:

1. The best defenses are disciplined - players being in the right place.
2. Well schooled defenders, recognizing their keys and responding accordingly.
3. Making pre-snap reads difficult, which is something with which most college QB's struggle.
4. Better ball recognition by DB's.
5. Pressure the QB without constant blitz pressure.

There's more but those are my basics.

Last edited:
Advertisement
People keep saying this but it's completely false.
Agree Macho, folks forget that Muschamp had a very good 3-4 hybrid with Florida athletes at UF and they didn't have a bunch of big dudes either. We can do it here to with ease. Like I said, folks that don't know any better have PTSD from the Golden years and don't believe it can be successful here. All 3-4s are not created equally

Advertisement
Agree Macho, folks forget that Muschamp had a very good 3-4 hybrid with Florida athletes at UF and they didn't have a bunch of big dudes either. We can do it here to with ease. Like I said, folks that don't know any better have PTSD from the Golden years and don't believe it can be successful here. All 3-4s are not created equally

That was Dan Quinn's defense, not Muschamp's. Soon as Quinn left their defense went to ****.

I can't believe so many people are still stuck differentiating a 3-4 and 4-3. I personally don't care about the base defense, give me a fast attacking styled D.

Mario is going to run a multiple scheme. Base will probably be the Odd front, as it looks like thats the formation most of the big teams go these days. Bama runs Odd a lot, Georgia does and Oregon did it against Ohio State as well.

We have the athletic ability to have EDGE defenders either put their hand in the dirt or play standing up. I expect Chase Smith to be more of an EDGE with the Odd front, A) he has the frame to pack on weight and B) his arm length is perfect for the position.

People in here shouldnt expect the defense to look like the same at all. Theres going to be much less chaos and much less players running around like nuts.

Advertisement
Back