How would you feel about us moving to a 3-4 Defense?

Advertisement
Whats a defense without reading and reacting
ru-paul-reading.gif

Advertisement
As long as you can teach it to your players and you can recruit players who can excite it, run whatever you want.

We’ve never had issues with a defense, we’ve had issues with trying to run something we didn’t have the players for or the coaches couldn’t teach.

Bruh every defense reacts to what an offense does. If you’re a DT you can’t just run up whatever gap because you still have to read the Olineman blocking you. If he is making it easy for you to go to his left the play is probably going to his right. You can’t let them seal you, so you gotta fight for that spot to make the play. The same thing when you’re a DE and you go up the field unblocked. Either a Guard is pulling to come block you or the play is going away from you. Everything is read and react, unless it’s 3rd n 15 and you know it’s an obvious passing down. At that point the Dline is ears back n go get the QB.
1000%, u can take stuff away with gameplans and adjustments but even then thats reacting to what a team does so sayin no reading and reacting is what we've had with diaz where our DTs just shoot their gaps, LBs shoot gaps or run out of the play on the slightest misdirection or pull from a guard or even TE and hoping we luck into TFLs and feeding off teams mistakes instead of stopping what they do

The essence of defense is reading and reacting

Advertisement
Neither. I wanna live in the 3-2-6 and embrace the speed we can easily get in recruiting. Not even joking. I feel we could hire Iowa states DC and run that D and after one recruiting cycle probably be able to be incredible at that ****.

Don't want it. To find the right size players for LB and DL is way too difficult and most of the times teams are in minimum 3 wide these days anyway. Stay multiple.

Advertisement
4-3 base defense please... we can run that hybrid out of that... a few years ago yall were complaining about how South Florida players are more aligned to the 4-3...

People keep saying this but it's completely false.

Can you expand on this a bit? I'm not football expert and I know that the difference of one hand on the ground shouldn't be that impactful but logic would indicate that if you are primarily in a 3-4 alignment, you are going to need guys who have the size/speed/ability to either rush or play in space or cover. In a 4-3 alignment, your DEs are primarily a 5 or 7 technique, no?

Last edited:
Advertisement
His stunts and delayed blitz’ were some of the worst I’ve ever seen
I don't know enough about football to be able to watch the game and tell how good the blitzes and stunts are. Is there a video somewhere that goes through what made his blitzes bad?

A lot of folks here have PTSD about the 3-4 from the Golden years.

Nobody here should have reservations about the 3-4 or multiple fronts. Bama and UGA are not predominately 3-4 either. We can rob the portal to plug some holes and recruiting toward what we want to do offensively will be more easily accomplished now.

Last edited:
People keep saying this but it's completely false.
How is it completely false. Most of the players we get are usually undersized, in weight but more importantly in height. You need tall LBs to hold up against the guards they will take on inside most of the times. Minimum 6'2. Most of our best Lbs we have recruited recently have been 6'0 or so. Unless we are gonna take DL and start using them at LB. Which is gonna take coaching and patience. Look at Bama LBs if you think im lying or misinformed.

I don't know enough about football to be able to watch the game and tell how good the blitzes and stunts are. Is there a video somewhere that goes through what made his blitzes bad?

I haven’t found any real videos to distinguish why his were so bad, just from memory from years of watching his defenses.

Often he would blitz defenders through the same hole of where a lineman already was, which created a crowd and didn’t allow the defender to run through the line like he should have.

He also ran a lot of long stunts that took too long to develop and weren’t disguised well, and were easily picked up.

The worst was that he Constantly ran a delayed blitz from the safety spot, around 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Usually those safety’s will run up into the box right up to the LOS and try to time the snap count to get a good jump. But he would blitz them from their original spot, so far off the line, which means by the time they would reach the LOS, the QB was already throwing the ball…

His defense has terrible gap integrity, the LB’ers seemed to have never been taught on how to read/react properly (a characteristic of bad coaching) and his corners were consistently 7-8 yards off the line of scrimmage, even on short distances.

I’ll look around to see if I can find any videos

Advertisement
Back