How to lose to Pitt staring Malik Rosier [Breakdown]

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
I think a win over #1 Clemson should get us in (although ND losing doesn't help - also dropping from #1 SOR to #6 behind Wisconsin doesn't help either). Anyways there were a lot of concerning things we saw from Rosier (really all year but I'm gonna act like it was only 1 game. Rosier's play vs Pitt jumped off the screen similar to McCloud's play vs UVa). BTW I give credit when credit is due McCloud played his 2nd best game as a Cane. He still needs to react faster but it wasn't typical McCloud slow. I still do think his job, along with Rosier and Feagles, need to be a full outright open competition and not like the Pinckney situation were Pick was with the 2's most of the camp but you kinda knew he was going to start. I'm talking about if they don't improve SIGNIFICANTLY they need to be role players/backups. We got studs coming through ain't no time for foolishness.

Again, I don't want to bite Canesvision style I'm just pointing out the play of Malik this game (and other things).

3rd and 1. RPO play call and I don't know what Malik is reading here. He should be reading the DE who over plays the hand-off leaving the QB run available and Homer barely gets the first down. If Malik keeps that and we gets about 4-5 yards with how badly the DE played it.
52c1269ec7bd97c39ecbd4f260b514be.png

[Not a Rosier play] 1st and 10. Pitt's CB gave Richard a big fat bear hug. That almost led to a INT similar to how the UVa play did. No flag. ACC Refs are giving the Big 12 refs the work for the title of worse conference officials in CFB.

[Not a Rosier play] Darling gets his *** kicked JUST as a WR get open across the middle. Rosier ducks his eyes. Sack. (Glad Darling is a senior)

3rd and 16. Clean Pocket. Jeff Thomas has his man beat enough the at least get us out of the shadow of our own end-zone. Jeff Thomas did get his hands on the ball but he is running a post route. Thomas probably expected the pass to be out in front of him to the middle of the hashes but instead Rosier throws the ball to the right hash and outside. Of course you hope Jeff still caught the ball as he got his hands on it but a proper throw and who knows with Jeff Thomas speed against these slow Pitt corners. It hard to run a post route full speed and adjust your body to catch a pass thrown behind you.
ad5e0b5650d563c87449bd55178c1496.png

[Call playing] I'm starting to get tired of these outside zone runs to the short side of the field. Against ND we ran those to the wide side of the field and those turned into big plays.

[Not a Rosier play / Recruiting] We need to find the best 2 available preferred walk-on punter. This punt is kicked near 50 yard line and Feagles give the coverage team no chance to change field position. Also Feagles punting mechanics is slow as ****... just asking to get blocked.

2nd and 10. Clean Pocket. This is what I've been talking about when I said our WRs makes Rosier look good or else he would be a 40-45% passer. Richards has a good step on the CB along with a whole lot of separate and instead of leading Richard into the endzone he makes a under-thrown back-shoulder throw making the a catch for Richard as difficult as possible. Richard displays unbelievable balance to catch the ball, stay inbound, and then reach for the pylon for a TD. This is what has been happening majority of the year with Rosier at QB. WR bailing him out time and time again. Langham, Berrios, Richards, Herndon etc.
b06d5e091d694ea73645affa21048fd4.png

3rd and 3. What to know why we're constantly in close games? Here's why. Up 7-3 Berrios is as open as you can be at the college level and the pass is thrown well behind him. Berrios runs a post corner and his man is at least 5 yards off him and the pocket is as clean as can be. So far Rosier has missed 2 big plays on 3rd down and depending on the YAC at least for the Jeff Thomas play could have at worse a FG attempt.
8dbba0b51db308a388eca515cb3ad654.png

[Not a Rosier play / Recruiting] Our coaches needed to be on a plane like yesterday trying to find a punter. Feagles can't be the only option at punter next season. He CAN NOT!! He MURDERS field position every game.

2nd and 9. "RICHT PLAY CALLING VS PITT WAS TERRRIIIBBBLLLEEE!" So tell what does Richt call for a QB who can't throw a bubble screen correctly? Rosier has already missed the post route, the post corner route, the bubble screen, and threw a terrible TD pass that was all Richards. This play call is Richt trying to get Rosier in a rhythm because he knows Rosier has already missed 2 big plays in the 1st half. Doesn't even give Berrios a chance.
562926c2d0bed826ce15d9a5109d9412.png

3rd and 9. Same drive. Again, Richt senses Rosier is struggling lets try to give him another easy throw. We run a RB screen and it almost picked and housed for 6 but somehow caught by Homer. Rosier should of dirt this ball and almost threw a Int. Honestly, if Rosier was hitting on his passes earlier we would not have do a RB screens. Its the domino effect of Rosier inabilities to throw. It effects the play calling. For some of you it "our QB is struggling lets open up the playbook more.".. wait what did you say? Would a WR reverse work with this O-line who is already getting their *** kicked? No. A Screen pass almost got picked for 6. What about a bubble to a WR? Your QB can't throw 'em. I'm sure you Madden expects can figure out plays that will work with this QB and O-line right?
a714ed5ca47087ecd48188f8bb84dc02.png

[Recruiting] Are we in contact with a Punter yet? 30 yard punt. This dude is terrible.

1st and 10. Lets take a shot said Richt! Richard wide open. TOUCHDO.... Oh yea, Malik Rosier is our QB. If Richards caught this ball and he would have gotten to the 40-35 yard line of Pitt. FG range for Badgley.
52d5afdb648ce2abb704beee88f97efb.png

2nd and 10. After possibly missing a TD to Richards Rosier throws a dirt ball to an open Harley on the in route.
71e66a1c4c3215ab6dbdf88d267a1135.png

3rd and 9. Rosier kinda under throws this ball. It hits the CB who isn't even look at the ball right in the helmet if I'm not mistaken. This is what I've been saying about Roiser not having a touch pass in his ****nal. He just Michael Vick lazer beams every pass inaccurately and when he throws a deep ball he under throws it. The deep ball is what got Rosier the starting gig over Shireffs (who might be worse then Rosier somehow) but I've seen nothing but noodle throws accuracy down the field from Rosier all year.
f2e4cf66c7dc18eee2acd7cf1f37e127.png

[Recruiting] I can't believe I'm saying this we might have to waste a scholarship on a another punter. Feagles is the worse punter I've seen at Miami in a decade. We had a little reputation of having dope punters who made it into the league. Get this Feagles guy outta my face. PLEASE. Add him into the list of players we can not have starting for us next year.

1st and 10. Clean Pocket. Harris is wide open and Malik's pass gets tipped at the LOS or else this is another big gainer.
77031f1cd44348ffa726142a2212a551.png

[Not a Rosier play] 3rd and 7. Can someone please tell me WTF Tyree St. Louis is doing? Does our O-line run stunts? WTF..... Why didn't anyone point him out? Either the QB, WR, or OL gotta see this. We shot ourselves so much it a miracle we're 10-1 TBH. Nothing Pitt has done so far to stop us. It been Rosier and O-line play.

2nd and 10. Here was another potential pick 6. Simple pitch and catch. Rosier throws a pass intended for a 6'10 WR to the 5 foot 9 Berrios. Worse part is the DB who almost picked this off took a horrible angle at Berrios and his terrible angle almost gave him a pick 6. You could also hear the announcer say "ooof" because of how bad the pass was. Then Rosier gets a delay of game penalty right after but he did make a great throw to Herndon afterwards though.
ecd851e83a5ea70c5650e22e6f959d52.png

3rd and 15. Yes we got the first down with Herndon but look who beat his man almost immediately off the LOS. Richards. Look at the safety just staring in the back field flat footed similar to how Delaney was on that TD pass last week by UVa. In fact, Rosier had a chance to look at Richards before he threw the ball as the pocket was relativity clean. This could have been another TD potentially.
8f27b54a54de7db2bc54608e1ea25682.png

2nd and 10. Remember when I said our WR has been bailing out Rosier all year long? This play right here is what I'm talking about. Berrios is WIDE OPEN on the in route. I'm talking about stealing candy from a baby wide open. Rosier throws a terrible "wobblier" as the announcer described this throw in which Berrios has to make a heroic effort just to attempt a catch when he is open by a mile. Through out the season our WRs made these heroic plays to bail out Rosier out. We didn't make them against Pitt and that is the difference. Rosier isn't "clutch" our WRs are.
ec86bf20042e42b545a3ab61405a3715.png

[Recruiting] Has that punter set the official visit yet? I must of heard the announcer say "wobbly kick" 5 or 6 times already. Oh and of course Robert Knowles finds a way to continue to negatively effect the team no matter where he is. He gone. Quick question.. do our tacklers know that the sideline is their friend? I've seen it all season of guys trying to tackle the ball carrier who is clearly going to head out of bound. It mind numbing.

[Not a Roiser play] No joke.. Gauthier had a Nick Linder esque game today.

1st and 10. Rosier honestly had all 3 WRs open really. Max protection. Harley at the top, Harris underneath, and Richards at the bottom of the screen. Richards has beaten his man to the inside and Rosier throws it to the outside. This ball placement is similar to the Jeff Thomas play earlier in the game. This wouldn't have been a TD but considering where we were if this ball was properly placed could of resulted in another FG attempt.
fb7cf0839983528e51d3f95684fa547f.png

b2e47b110cc1c6ae199990be501fd9aa.png

2nd and 10. Next play we throw a bubble and again Rosier is off target. I don't think this play would have gained much but this just further shows you how terrible Rosier has been.
e176617db5a3e8180a87cfaf2111953b.png

3rd and 10. Again, at this point I'm tried of saying it... Our WR in 1v1 coverage no safety over the top and our WR beats another Pitt corner to the inside post AGAIN and Rosier continues to throw the ball to the outside AGAIN. The Richards play the play before probably isn't a TD but this one is. See how Jeff Thomas has to his body turned to find a ball that should out in front of him? It actually crazy to me... every inside routes is getting thrown to the outside and every outside route is getting thrown to the inside. It is baffling this Rosier guy.
c01fe5c62121b1cfd4528a94f1cfe2f2.png

[Recruiting] Oh, would you look at that... another Feagle wobblier for a grand total of 25 yards. GET THIS MAN OUTTA MY FACE.

[Not Rosier play] Rosier yanked and for good reason. I'm not gonna waste my time with Sheriffs. All you need to know is Sheriffs is a 6 foot 6 QB who gets his passes battled at the LOS more then Brock Asswiler. He ain't the answer and Richt better show him the door this off-season to. I wasn't in the club who thought Rosier would never play here but Sheriffs will NEVER play here. I'm still trying to see what James Coley saw in these guys. James Coley can go kiss a **** with all the shet QBs he left us with.

Last 2 drives. We already know how it goes. Rosier comes in throw a TD then next drive gets stripped after being hesitate with the ball.

Look at this photo. What do you think Berrios is thinking right now? I promise you it is along the lines of: "I can't believe I actually thought we'd go undefeated with this guy at QB." I promise you that.
222e35b224690d7a33223e8088cdfb03.png

Couple things on the Pitt game
- There were 2 holding plays that could have alter the game. On a 2nd and goal at about the 8-ish yard line if that hold on Trent Harris is called we're talking about 2nd and goal from the 18 yard line. We could of held them to a FG.
- On the QB bootleg there was another hold and it was a 4th down play. If that was called we would of held them to a FG. 14 Points could have been taken off the board for Pitt in a game we lost by 10.
- We did not get a lot of pressure because I saw a lot of max protection something UVa did. We also don't get any holding calls or PI calls. It starting to become a thing with these ACC refs.
- We need to hold punter tryouts this week. We can't go into this Clemson game or potentially a playoff game with our punter continuing to give up an extra 15-20 yards of field position.
- The defense held their own for as long as they could.
- Hope and pray that the guy that thought Rosier was an NFL caliber QB isn't associated with your favorite NFL team. (Looking at you Cleveland Brown fans) lol.

Advertisement
It's entirely fair to say Rosier was awful yesterday. So much so that you can't help to wonder if there was an injury, concussion, or something mental going on that we don't know about. Regardless, some times you have a bad day. It happens.

But it is unfair to say he has been awful all year. Granted he doesn't seem to be able to make more than one or two reads (yet), Rosier has made many absolutely BRILLIANT throws this year. He has played like dog **** at times, but he has been lights out at times too.

I understand the train of thougt of ppl who think there are things we can do manufacture yards and make the game easier for Rosier. That desperate feeling of “did we try everything?”. But when you look at the pictures of these plays. What more could or needed to be done? You have WRs running open all game (and all season) the QB has to make these throws. We ragged on Brian Wimbush and other 1 dimensional QBs on other teams the fact is Rosier is the same as those guys only not as dynamic running the ball.

I didn’t see a team that was “flat” or not ready to play. The defense held the line and kept them out of the end zone when we couldnt get a first down or a punt to change field position all game long. WR ran good routes and the Oline is what it is.

At this point we gotta root this one and hope that somehow despite the averages so far he finds another level of play for these 2-3 games.

Advertisement
"also dropping from #1 SOR to #6 behind Wisconsin doesn't help either"

I mean that's how SOR works. Still being #6 is pretty good. Win over Clemson and we should be top 4

So, what do you think about our punter situation?

Sorry, bad humor on a Sunday AM.
Appreciate the stills. Confirms some of the stuff we already knew.

Advertisement
It's entirely fair to say Rosier was awful yesterday. So much so that you can't help to wonder if there was an injury, concussion, or something mental going on that we don't know about. Regardless, some times you have a bad day. It happens.

But it is unfair to say he has been awful all year. Granted he doesn't seem to be able to make more than one or two reads (yet), Rosier has made many absolutely BRILLIANT throws this year. He has played like dog **** at times, but he has been lights out at times too.

Did you watch the UNC game,he was even worse in that game but we forced 5 TOs to bail him.Did you watch the 3 ints in a row against VT.Did you watch most of the GT and Syracuse games with all the 3 and outs.

The first play referenced (3rd and 1 RPO) you're not reading the DE, you read the hanging LB who is sitting there ready to make a play on Rosier. He made a good decision to give instead of keep (if keeping was even an option in that situation). The decision should have been to pass instead. Last year with Kaaya the option would be to give to Homer or throw the bubble to Braxton. Look at Braxton... the receiver outside of him basically has his man in position to screen the safety coming down to make the play on Braxton. Taking a terrible angle already if we threw it. Would be an easy bubble (if Rosier could complete the pass) to bounce towards the sideline probably for a big gain. Guaranteed first down

Last edited:
The play to Berrios when we were up 7-3 changed the game. He makes a JV throw, not even a college throw, and we're at least their 25. We get at least a FG, but based on how we had moved the ball on the drive before that, we might have a TD. We're up 14 (or 10-3) and we probably win the game. That one play (or lack of one) ****ed me off more than any other play.

The first play referenced (3rd and 1 RPO) you're not reading the DE, you read the hanging LB who is sitting there ready to make a play on Rosier. He made a good decision to give instead of keep (if keeping was even an option in that situation). The decision should have been to pass instead. Last year with Kaaya the option would be to give to Homer or throw the bubble to Braxton. Look at Braxton... the receiver outside of him basically has his man in position to screen the safety coming down to make the play on Braxton. Taking a terrible angle already if we threw it. Would be an easy bubble (if Rosier could complete the pass) to bounce towards the sideline probably for a big gain. Guaranteed first down

I was going to say throw it to Braxton

Advertisement
Very good work.

The loss to Pitt was 95% on Malik. He was Kirby Freeman out there on friday.

That being said, Malik is a hot/cold QB. I would not be surprised at all if he absolutely balls against Clemson and we get that W.

I was going to say throw it to Braxton

Yup. Very easy first down there.

lawl and people saying Richt needs to get blamed for play calling. Look at this, even an average QB and we dominate that game. WRs open all **** day and he can't complete a simple screen pass

Advertisement

Did you watch the UNC game,he was even worse in that game but we forced 5 TOs to bail him.Did you watch the 3 ints in a row against VT.Did you watch most of the GT and Syracuse games with all the 3 and outs.

Yep, he was arguably worse.

lawl and people saying Richt needs to get blamed for play calling. Look at this, even an average QB and we dominate that game. WRs open all **** day and he can't complete a simple screen pass

Yep. Not to mention we have no run game either.

His play calling is fine.

The play to Berrios when we were up 7-3 changed the game. He makes a JV throw, not even a college throw, and we're at least their 25. We get at least a FG, but based on how we had moved the ball on the drive before that, we might have a TD. We're up 14 (or 10-3) and we probably win the game. That one play (or lack of one) ****ed me off more than any other play.

Exactly. This is when I thought we gain the momentum and deflate Pitt but I'm not surprised though because for some reason when we have a chance to step on another team's throat we would blow it and 6 times out of 10 it was Malik's Fault. 2 out of 10 it a stupid penalty that later result in points. 1/10 it is the O-line inability to block especially on run plays. The other 1/10 of the pie is other variables (O/D coaching, special teams, O/D play calling - like constant blitzing and stunts usage, etc)

Agreed - this was an atrocious miss. Wide, I mean wide open. That play had a big impact.

Advertisement
Back