How to avoid a 2004-2016 slide again?

I hear ya man. No way can we know what kind of offense he would have tried to run. And just like Al Golden, he took a moribund program to never before achieved heights. (sarcastic, but couldn’t help myself, forgive me)

I just want to highlight the one comment you made, which I’ve isolated above. Alvarez falling for Shapiro SHOULD mean a lot to anyone when we’re talking about an argument that Shalala wanted to bring in Alvarez, and that hiring him would have somehow saved us from our lost decade and a half. There’s a million reasons that argument just doesn’t hold water, Foremost of which is that this guy trusted Shapiro with his own money while Shannon wouldn’t even let him in the building. If Shalala had gotten her way bringing in Alvarez, we might not even have a football team anymore. Not always a fan of how Randy handles his business, but he very likely saved our bacon.

CMR has us on the righteous path, regardless of the past, happy days are here again.

Great point. Randy was not much of a coach, but dude was only person with eyes on the crook. Football took the fall for a greedy stupid administration run by a crook. All cons rely on the larceny in the heart of the mark. School was lowlife trying to hold on to is severance money. But is what crooks are like.

Advertisement
Pay attention to the college arms race this time. The last slide was a result of assuming we didn't need to spend money on coaches and facilities. Have competitive salaries for HC and all assistants. Have a comparable amount of support staffers to title winning programs.

For those ripping Alvarez's overall record, do they understand what he took over in 1990?

He simply engineered one of the great rebuilds in college football history

Just simply going by his overall record is highly short-sighted and myopic. Give him Coker's roster in 2001 to start off with...

You’re right man, and I did acknowledge what he took over, but as I also pointed out, his last five years were exactly the same as his overall track record. In his last five years, he had one losing season, went 2-2 in bowl games, and only won 6 out of 10 games, 60%.

He had some good years, but it’s also not like Michigan, OSU, and Penn St were all firing on all cylinders the whole time he was there either. Myopic is pretending that the guy was some super coach, it’s simply revisionist.

Invest in the program.

We are still about 10 years behind. We should have a bigger pool for HC and assistants.

With addidas and the ACC NETWORK deal it should help, but will see if that gets pumped back into the program

Why wouldn't it be? I know the mouth breathers on this site and in the fanbase believe that the school is hoarding money, but that hasn't, nor will it ever be the case. What the athletic department raises/earns, it gets to use, PERIOD. The problem is that it's a limited pool, and it can only go so far. Football gets the lion's share of the resources(as they should), but there are other programs in the athletic department, and in the case of Title IX, the institution is LEGALLY required to spend money on non-revenue sports.

It's on the athletic department to either find new sources of revenue(IE Adidas), and to successfully manage working within budgetary confines. Miami will cannot nor should ever dip into the general fund to subsidize athletics. That's a disservice to every student, alum and stakeholder for athletics aren't the lifeblood of any University worth a ****. If this fanbase wants big time stuff, they need to step up to the plate, and stop depending on the small alumni base and former letter winners to do the heavy lifting.

It's beyond shameful that Miami, even when times are good struggles to sell tickets unless it's an event. Being in a large city doesn't help that, but come the F on. There are **** near 2 million people in the city and surrounding counties, there's no reason why 60,000 of them can't find their way to Hard Rock on a weekly basis.

You’re right man, and I did acknowledge what he took over, but as I also pointed out, his last five years were exactly the same as his overall track record. In his last five years, he had one losing season, went 2-2 in bowl games, and only won 6 out of 10 games, 60%.

He had some good years, but it’s also not like Michigan, OSU, and Penn St were all firing on all cylinders the whole time he was there either. Myopic is pretending that the guy was some super coach, it’s simply revisionist.

I dont disagree with your point - he wasn't 'super' but I do feel strongly he was 'superior' to Coker

Coker was a better fit for one season but overall, again, Miami would've been better served with a 'real' head coach not just a caretaker

Advertisement
Just don't put a man-hating progressive in charge of the university again. Only a bulldyke feminist that hated football, could have possibly turned Miami into what we were during that time period.

I dont disagree with your point - he wasn't 'super' but I do feel strongly he was 'superior' to Coker

Coker was a better fit for one season but overall, again, Miami would've been better served with a 'real' head coach not just a caretaker

Yep, I agree with you.

Still, I can't get past the whole thing about his close relationship with Donna and how they both got taken by the fraudster while Randy saw it coming.

BTW, love what you bring to the podcasts, man. Thanks!

Yep, I agree with you.

Still, I can't get past the whole thing about his close relationship with Donna and how they both got taken by the fraudster while Randy saw it coming.

BTW, love what you bring to the podcasts, man. Thanks!

glad you could take all the static from my end....

Slide started long before shalala got here.started back in the late 80s&90s.When university never put back any money for the football program when the football team was at its height bringing in all that money when we were an independent.university thought we didn't need to upgraded facilities since wed won without them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back