How recruiting failure can have a long term effect (Wide Receiver Edition)

Yeah, I've been posting since the late 90s (grassy, Canesport, etc.), and tend to remember all the ups and downs. I'm not sure if you are talking about Lavar Lobdell (the only Syracuse WR name I remember us recruiting during that time period), but he was from that upstate NY area, so it makes a bit more sense in retrospect. I simply can't fathom how we were so lazy from 2003-2006. I complained about it (on the boards) every year and almost caught a ban in 2006 when I was DESTROYING Miami for signing George Robinson.

Remember it well. My guess was that word got out that behind the scenes the program was becoming a debacle.

Advertisement
I was in high school when I reviewed his film and said he was garbage. I was not the only one.
Good for you. He was a national top 10 5 star recruit and both UF and OU wanted him badly. To pretend he was a reach is ridiculous.

I was in high school when I reviewed his film and said he was garbage. I was not the only one.

Great post OP.

The Portal neutralizes a lot of these issues, you can’t really oversign in today’s era because if a kid signs with a team where he’s promised he’s gonna play early & he doesn’t, he’s gone. The Portal levels the system, it allows you to supplement losses & it naturally thins out bad evals & overcrowded rooms per position.

Also, the best way to settle an overcrowded room is to play the young guys, meaning, position units only become overcrowded when you have a bevy of high ranked underclassmen who aren’t playing which creates a logjam because they’re waiting behind a Super Senior. If you got a position group with a bunch of 5th & 6th year guys who aren’t really good players, all yo have to do to remedy the situation is sit their old asses on the bench & let the True & Red Froshs/Sophs get the reps, then suddenly your room isn’t so crowded.

We had a crowded Safety room, then we finally sat Gurvan Hall’s *** down & Bolden got hurt, then all of the sudden the room thinned & leveled out. Same with the WR room, once we finally moved on from Wiggs & Pope, the WR unit became strong with two solid vets in Harley & Rambo & 5 young pups.

The CB room IMO can’t be overcrowded as it stands because aside from Stevenson, the rest are barely playable & are rotational Dime package kids at best. If Miami is really going to turn a corner as a team, we should be playing 3 (possibly 4) brand new CB’s next year.

The only thing that will mess that unit up is continuing to play bums like Ivey or not forcing guys like Couch & Clarke to have to actually earn their spot, giving bad players shoo-in starter reps is what can really debilitate a position group.

Advertisement
Back