How rebuildable is Miami after 10 years of sucking

sebastiansbill

Thunderdome
It's not like this is 2007 when Shannon took over after we had only been poor for one season and recruits would have been very familiar with our 2000-2002 teams. At that point in time I think a decent coach easily could have turned us around quickly. It's not even like this is 2011 when Golden become coach after we had sucked for five seasons. At this point we have been poor for 10 seasons and that is pretty much the only thing recruits are going to be familiar with. The 12th graders who will be signing in a few days were 2nd graders when we last had a decent season in 2005 (which seemed like a bad season at the time) and were in preschool during the 2001-2002 seasons. They wouldn't even know about our former prestige unless they either had a parent who attended UM or they're the sporting nerd of the school who's memorized every single national champion since the AP Poll began in 1936.

Advertisement
Alabama went from 1992 until 2009 without a national title. USC went from 1978 to 2003 without a national title. The list goes on and on. Your point is not valid.

Some programs are always sleeping giants and Miami is one them. Miami is and always will be one coach away from elite due to its location.

there is no written rule that a team has to have a recent sustained dominant run to get back to competing on the national scene, i dont remember clemson dominating or fsu recently before jimbo and dabo took over those programs. if you accumulate enough 4 and 5 stars you have a shot to compete and win at a high level quickly especially on the defensive line

If we utilize our talent in 2016 and win 10-11 games.. we'll be "back" to a top 10 team year in year out. We'll be actual contenders when Richt gets his roster in here and establishes his foundation. 3-4-5 years.

The way the state of miami is shaping up, recruiting wise.. if we can take back control of south florida and keep Al Blades jr, land Asante Samuel Jr, the kids from Booker T that we have, that 2018 class is going to be something special. That could mean something is really happening by 2020-2021-2022. Not saying we can't do some damage before then, but those might be the main years just looking at the surface right now.

Advertisement
The advantage UM has is the "backyard recruiting"; best in the nation. If Richt can win 10 in 2016, and haul in a monster class in 2017, the formula for domination will be set. The key at UM is coaching. Up until now, UM's best X'and O's coaches have been Howard, Jimmy and Dennis. Mark has the chance to join the class.

I think people have gotten so accustomed to losing through the past two regimes that they forget what Miami is all about. With Richt at the helm, we are in good hands, fellas. We should expect 10 wins next year, and IMO be running through the ACC Coastal for the foreseeable future. Schools like UNC, VT, GT, will have their occasional years where they are competing on the national level, but Miami will always be the team to beat in the coastal. With Richt here, we won't be losing to teams like Duke, and Virginia like we did under the previous regimes. Say what you want about Richt, many cite him as not being able to win the big game, but the ACC Coastal is NOT the SEC. Richt will find success at Miami immediately IMO. I expect guys like Kaaya, Coley, and Yearby to have monster years.

Last edited:
How many potential recruits have seen any of the 30/30 shows? Probably most I would guess + older brothers, uncles, cousins, etc. Most have also witnessed or heard of the hate. They're not stupid - they understand the hate and the urge to be U savages.

Advertisement
Fellow Fans,

Here is what I would offer...

- In today's hyper saturated social media market, "location" is nation-wide; if locale and the recruits were as critical, the LA and SoFla based schools would have a significant, and almost unsurmountable, recruiting advantage...I'd go so far as say lock
- Why else would an urban athlete go to Alabama? Kid from NYC or Chicago play bball in....Kansas?
- Athletes today (bell curve majority) want to go where they can play and be "developed" by "successful" programs...all things equal, they will choose same programs where they can play early and often
- If play early and often were the true driving factor, FIU and FAU would have a bumper crop of ***** players on the list for NSD
- Development as a "person" might be important to some players and parents; just not sure how to quantify how much so
- If true driving factor, elite academic schools would pull in more..again...my HS was more academically rigorous than Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St, etc...so much so that most of my freshman class could have thrived in those "college level" environments

With the above said, I think two of the biggest driving factors are the program's "success" rate coupled with the staff's charisma and ability to close the sales pitch. Saban, Miles, Fisher, Harbaugh, Richt et al are known (different reasons) as great program salesmen.

Time will tell if Richt can have a few bounces his way, maximize his well known closings, and posture Miami for the greatest chances of CD, ACCCG, and CFP success.

This recruiting class is only a minor indicator; 2017 and 2018 we really be dashboard lights as to what direction our Hurricanes are headed.

Last edited:
Canes please refrain from responding to trolls on our board. It's that time of year when opposing fans show up, make an account with a goofy username that lampoons our beloved team, and ask leading questions intended for Canes to waist time in silly and inane debates. F that and them. Don't get duped!

It's not like this is 2007 when Shannon took over after we had only been poor for one season and recruits would have been very familiar with our 2000-2002 teams. At that point in time I think a decent coach easily could have turned us around quickly. It's not even like this is 2011 when Golden become coach after we had sucked for five seasons. At this point we have been poor for 10 seasons and that is pretty much the only thing recruits are going to be familiar with. The 12th graders who will be signing in a few days were 2nd graders when we last had a decent season in 2005 (which seemed like a bad season at the time) and were in preschool during the 2001-2002 seasons. They wouldn't even know about our former prestige unless they either had a parent who attended UM or they're the sporting nerd of the school who's memorized every single national champion since the AP Poll began in 1936.

0e6e05e9056bf471332d50612e59c8c86d401900e327f0103d90cea5da4e3163.jpg

Advertisement
The advantage UM has is the "backyard recruiting"; best in the nation. If Richt can win 10 in 2016, and haul in a monster class in 2017, the formula for domination will be set. The key at UM is coaching. Up until now, UM's best X'and O's coaches have been Howard, Jimmy and Dennis. Mark has the chance to join the class.

Coaching will and always has been the key. But the backyard recruiting has changed over the last 10 years. All the big powerhouse teams recruit here more then ever, which makes getting and keeping the elite kids home much harder then in the past. If we do win 10 games and then a bowl game without getting blown out buy the top teams it may change. Will it ever get back to the glory days is the big question, it's possible but only if the local stars start staying home again.

The program looks FAR better now than when Shannon OR Golden took over. If we had a real coach last year, we win 10 games, and we should be better this year than last, talent and experience wise. Adding a real coach will do wonders. Finally, a coach that understands South Florida talent and what it can do when used properly.

Canes please refrain from responding to trolls on our board. It's that time of year when opposing fans show up, make an account with a goofy username that lampoons our beloved team, and ask leading questions intended for Canes to waist time in silly and inane debates. F that and them. Don't get duped!

That never happens here.

Advertisement
I may be looking at the glass and see it only half full...Recapping last season I see two victories by over matching Bet-Cook and FAU, the latter who scored 20 points against us..We held on long enough to beat a depleted Nebraska in Overtime...The Duke game is what the final score said it was--thank you ACC Officals..We beat Va by 5 points then held on to beat Pitt...In the mean time we got buried by Clemson and Carolina by 58/59 points scored on us....Throw out the 1st two games last year and calling the Duke game a push it becomes more indicative of where we really are on the Coastal Totem Pole..Calling for winning the Coastal is at least another year or two away until Richt gets his players on board...
Hopefully we can get to 9 wins this year and not be embarrassed in a bowl game to finally get 10 victory's in a season...I think any additional wins would be something to really build on...

I may be looking at the glass and see it only half full...Recapping last season I see two victories by over matching Bet-Cook and FAU, the latter who scored 20 points against us..We held on long enough to beat a depleted Nebraska in Overtime...The Duke game is what the final score said it was--thank you ACC Officals..We beat Va by 5 points then held on to beat Pitt...In the mean time we got buried by Clemson and Carolina by 58/59 points scored on us....Throw out the 1st two games last year and calling the Duke game a push it becomes more indicative of where we really are on the Coastal Totem Pole..Calling for winning the Coastal is at least another year or two away until Richt gets his players on board...
Hopefully we can get to 9 wins this year and not be embarrassed in a bowl game to finally get 10 victory's in a season...I think any additional wins would be something to really build on...

Duke never would have gotten their final TD with a few seconds left if it weren't for the awful officiating on that drive. So we can call it even with the call on the kickoff return.

Agreed. I think the record last year was not quite what it seems. I dont see any quality wins over good opponents. I see a couple of blowouts of some lousy teams, and then some fairly close wins against average/mediocre teams. The loss against FSU was probably their best game. Cincinnati shouldnt have happenned. The losses again NC and Clemson were probably far more telling about this team, BRUTAL, just BRUTAL. While I feel good about winning, to me, a "win" is not necessarily a "win".

No my friends, this team might not have been as good as we have felt it was.

Alabama went from 1992 until 2009 without a national title. USC went from 1978 to 2003 without a national title.

Fairly soon 17 years and 25 years are going to look like very short durations. We're already at 14 and counting, and only 1 in 24...

I think we'll settle into second tier status, somewhere where our current recruiting rankings suggests. Losing the Orange Bowl was devastating. We don't have the century-deep prestige or national aura of programs like USC or Alabama, which are always eligible to rebound in a major way, regardless of short term trivia.

The first step is to restore the power ranking a crucial 7-10 points. That provides some breathing room above mid level ACC teams and allows preseason ranking, which is crucial to regaining spotlight and legitimacy.

Advertisement
Back