How much support can Malek provide immediately?

All ACC
Premium
Lets talk Malek Young

He was recruited by some of the best defensive minds in college football. Recruited personally by Venables and Jeremy Pruitt. Ohio State, Michigan State, FSU and Texas offers as well as being recruited by T Bob at Auburn and South Carolina. Those offers scream elite talent. What'd you X and O's guys see in the tape? If he can provide support we may not be as screwed as we think at the position.

With Jaquan at nickel:

Corn
Redwine
Johnson
Young

If one other corner out of what we have now or a transfer can provide solid play that'd give us 5, which should ok with a pass rush.

Advertisement
I was going to post something similar. Great Question on Malek. I don't have the answers but I would venture to guess that he was highly recruited by elite DCs because the kid can play. Now as far as whether or not he can contribute this year is the real question. Yes he was highly recruited, but that does not mean that any of those coaches expected him to be a true freshman contributer. The consensus was most likely that Young has the potential to be very good with a couple years in a program.

The bottom line is that no one can predict how a player will handle the transition when they first get to campus. Some take a little to adjust, some take a few years and some kids just take to it like a fish to water. It's really impossible to tell. Sometimes the 3 star kid gets it immediately and the 4/5 star kid takes a little longer. You never know which is what makes fall camp so exciting and unpredictable. This is also why I am a huge proponent of getting as many EEs as possible especially at positions of need. I realize that you can't get everyone you want in early but if Malek had been an EE we would have a much better idea on how he fits in and he at least would have gotten a good 6 months head start. That extra time to adjust and go through the Spring can be invaluable to these kids in terms of PT their freshman year. Just look at how our 3 stud freshmen LBs have benefitted.

Last edited:
Diaz has said it before. It all depends if he proves over the summer that he can tackle. Hes got the speed and hes that type of guy whos a quick learner. But all really depends if he shows the physicality needed to not be a liability if you are put into a game. Tbh i could see this season panning out with the LBs doing more of the coverage than the CBs, becasue I truly believe a vicious pass rush is being created and idk if QBs will get an accurate throw with a deep ball. BUT i could be wrong, maybe i am forgetting that our DBs may now be jamming and on the line of scrimmage and be more involved of coverage in short and intermediate. Feel free for anyone to explain how our DBs work in this Diaz system if anyone knows.

Advertisement
Y'all reaching

Reaching with the whiteknuckled hope that our sole true CB recruit in the 2016 class can provide some help on a depth chart that is morigami paper thin?

Then yeah, man. I'm reaching real high.

Hands up. Don't shoot.

He helps in a variety of ways...

1. Assists in depth rotation during summer, lessening physical strain on other CB's during practice. Helps avoid injury, keeps them fresh, and also allows for Safety rotation to return to normal by displacing JJ back to his natural position.
2. Provides a different play style and body archetype than what currently exists on the roster, giving WR's something else to see and need to overcome.
3. Is going to learn/play both inside and outside to allow for in-game rotation of corners, injury depth, and more security in your personnel when deploying combo coverages.
4. IF HE DEVELOPS...he can instantly be the 2nd best corner on this team but his summer work, mental game, play recognition skills, and ability to grasp and apply his role in Diaz's unique defense will be key.

Maleek young a baller. He wasn't the best prospect due to measurables but he was the best "PLAYER" on coconut creek team.

Maleek young a baller. He wasn't the best prospect due to measurables but he was the best "PLAYER" on coconut creek team.

That's not what people thought when they thought we were getting Byrd. The talk then was how this recruit was overrated. Regardless, its be nice if he could play like Kelly Jennings from the word go.

Advertisement
I think with Elder and Redwine, we are not necessarily looking for starter minutes out of him. We are looking for fourth CB minutes, I think Jackson can be the third Corner, with JJ as the Nickel/ First DB off the bench. Plus we do have that kid transferring from Texas right? So with those guys we have some depth, we are just not sure of the quality of that depth. An injury to Corn or Redwine is going to hurt.

He looked tiny in his pics. I wouldn't expect much especially if they put the emphasis on tackling that they claim to place. I'm reticent to populate a depth chart with unseen freshmen. Maybe he could be a Kelly Jennings but Jennings redshirted and that secondary was heavily protected when he did start playing.

Has anyone actually seen johnson play corner? I feel like we keep plugging him in at nickel but have we seen this? It seems like they'd be trying it out now if it's really a plan.

Coach Richt needs to have a vision:

After the vision of these things I looked, and there before me was an open door in heaven. And the same voice that spoke to me before, that sounded like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must happen after this.” Immediately I was in the Spirit, and before me was a throne in heaven, and someone was sitting on it. The One who sat on the throne looked like precious stones, like jasper and carnelian. All around the throne was a rainbow the color of an emerald. Around the throne there were twenty-four other thrones with twenty-four elders sitting on them. They were dressed in white and had golden crowns on their heads. Lightning flashes and noises and thunder came from the throne. Before the throne seven lamps were burning, which are the seven spirits of God. Also before the throne there was something that looked like a sea of glass, clear like crystal.

In the center and around the throne was J.C. Jackson.

Advertisement

That's not what people thought when they thought we were getting Byrd. The talk then was how this recruit was overrated. Regardless, its be nice if he could play like Kelly Jennings from the word go.

People always thought that even before Mark richt was going here and we always wondered why we couldn't get any traction with him. What are you talking about. That statement has been said many times before

Coach Richt needs to have a vision:

After the vision of these things I looked, and there before me was an open door in heaven. And the same voice that spoke to me before, that sounded like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must happen after this.” Immediately I was in the Spirit, and before me was a throne in heaven, and someone was sitting on it. The One who sat on the throne looked like precious stones, like jasper and carnelian. All around the throne was a rainbow the color of an emerald. Around the throne there were twenty-four other thrones with twenty-four elders sitting on them. They were dressed in white and had golden crowns on their heads. Lightning flashes and noises and thunder came from the throne. Before the throne seven lamps were burning, which are the seven spirits of God. Also before the throne there was something that looked like a sea of glass, clear like crystal.

In the center and around the throne was J.C. Jackson.

It aint happening....move on....put the pipe down sir

Malek Young is 5'10" and somewhere between 170-180 pounds. He plays this season - no question. Our numbers dictate that he'll play. Besides he comes to us without having to unlearn the bad habits of the previous staff. How effective he'll be is much more difficult to pinpoint, but I would expect that he'll do like most talented freshmen and make some plays and give up some plays because of lack of experience at this level. The more he plays the better he'll become.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Sam Bruce of the defense.....10 ft tall and bulletproof........leaps small buildings in a single bound.....not even worried

The Sam Bruce of the defense.....10 ft tall and bulletproof........leaps small buildings in a single bound.....not even worried

Yeah...we get it, but there is already cause to be worried about the CB position. If anything Young adds quality depth. And I'm on the AR hype train. Bruce is quicker than he is fast from what I see in his film. AR has the ability to get over the top of defenses and stretch the field. All of the young receivers will play and for the same reason Malek will play. We really need help at those positions.

You serious bro ..... Stop it
I think with Elder and Redwine, we are not necessarily looking for starter minutes out of him. We are looking for fourth CB minutes, I think Jackson can be the third Corner, with JJ as the Nickel/ First DB off the bench. Plus we do have that kid transferring from Texas right? So with those guys we have some depth, we are just not sure of the quality of that depth. An injury to Corn or Redwine is going to hurt.

Yeah...we get it, but there is already cause to be worried about the CB position. If anything Young adds quality depth. And I'm on the AR hype train. Bruce is quicker than he is fast from what I see in his film. AR has the ability to get over the top of defenses and stretch the field. All of the young receivers will play and for the same reason Malek will play. We really need help at those positions.

No question we need these dudes to be at least 1/2 to 3/4 "Shaqs" fairly quickly........and to beat a dead horse......JC Jackson.......thing that worries me about that.......do we have the current facilities to contain his legend?........because it is getting pretty high up there on the hype list

Advertisement
Back