How much room do we have left?

jerzeycane

All-ACC
This question is always somewhat of a crap shoot, but anybody got any idea?

It seems like we are heavily in the mix for a lot of top notch guys and I'm wondering if we run out of room at some point.

Advertisement
With attrition, I'd say 6-7 spots

Sounds about right, Pete.

Right now, we have 26 commits. That list includes probably non-quals (Gray, Stuckey and maybe one other) and a few that might not sign with us (there are always these types of commits - perhaps Herndon, Turner, Rosier). Then, add in attrition on the current roster of guys who will not make it through the spring and you get your 6-7 spots.

I guess it depends also on how we fare with our remaining targets: Cook, Michel, Moten, Dixon, Lane, Brady, JC DT, one other LB, JoJo and maybe a couple others. We're not going to sign all these guys, obviously, and I hope we don't go with Plan B kids.

I think we finish with Jackson, Moten, Dixon, and one surprise like every year maybe Scarbourough or Michel.. We will probably lose 2-3 guys too like Gray and Stuckey.

Advertisement
Accept commits now and think about the rest later. Thats what Golden should have done last year when they "ran out of spots" and had to pull Kirkland's offer. Wether he was playing games or not, or if he would have come or not, it was a bad look and showed weakness IMO even though it was supposed to be a power play.

Most of our needs are somewhat filled right now except Safety, and the kids remaining are the elites, so you take every single one of them you can get and let the necessary attrition take place afterwords.

When your defense has as many holes as ours does now I would reason it dictates adjustments to recruiting strategy. I would hope to see a big push down the stretch for 2-3 more plug & play JUCO guys on the defensive side of the ball.

Advertisement
The problem with taking too many JUCO guys is that is a quick fix. Hypothetically, 3 years in, next year there should be enough "veteran" talent from the Golden classes that they shouldn't need to bring in a large amount of JUCO guys.

The problem with taking too many JUCO guys is that is a quick fix. Hypothetically, 3 years in, next year there should be enough "veteran" talent from the Golden classes that they shouldn't need to bring in a large amount of JUCO guys.

In general, yes, but you've seen how lackluster our DT recruiting has been the last few years. Unfortunately, Golden needs to fill that gap asap.

Advertisement
Gray has major academic issues and is not expected to make it. McCray looks to be heading to LSU. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Herndon to an SEC school...

Last edited:
Pete - agree the JUCO quick fix approach is not the optimum long term strategy. However, the reality of our current roster is we may not have the luxury of waiting for guys to develop. Your earlier thread highlighting the high % of misses on the roster over the last two recruiting cycles is a sobering reality of the quality of our current roster. I see a lot of question marks on that list. It's going to be an interesting balancing act for the coaches in terms of how they elect to fill out this class.

Gray has major academic issues and is not expected to make it. McCray looks to be heading to LSU. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Herndon to an SEC school...

I think and hope we keep Herndon. That kid is a beast and really fast for a TE. I think we lose Turner and Stuckey and hope we lose McCray and Rosier. I don't want to lose anyone else maybe Harris if we get a better passrusher.

Last edited:
Advertisement
we can't enroll any more than 29 new bodies, which i think we'll shoot for.

so you do the math

Listen to Derek. We can bring in 29 total bodies, of the 29 bodies 4 would have to enroll early. Keep in mind that transfers count as initial counters too.

There's 3 guys that's questionable to get in because of grades, McCray could jump and Turner might be asked to move along . So , 7-8 spots is pretty close to the number.

Last edited:
we can't enroll any more than 29 new bodies, which i think we'll shoot for.

so you do the math

Listen to Derek. We can bring in 29 total bodies, of the 29 bodies 4 would have to enroll early. Keep in mind that transfers count as initial counters too.

I believe the number is 31 initial counters for this year.

2010 27 total initial counters with 7 early entries counted backwards leaving 5 open slots for EE.
2011 21 total IC's with 5 EE counted backwards leaving 14 open slots (only 9 of which were used.)
2012 32 total IC's with 9 EE counted backwards leaving 2 open slots.
2013 21 total IC's with 2 EE counted backwards leaving 6 open slots
2014 25 yearly allotment + 6 open slots = 31.

this includes transfers such as O'Donnell, Renfrow, Ayles, M.Williams, Mustafaa ,Whipple etc., (not sure he counts since his father was coach - could be a walk on)

seems we are recruiting as such as well. In the mix with waaay too many guys considering we have 28 committed. I know not everyone is sticking, but I seriously doubt we would be involved with so many different guys for only a couple of spots

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back