How Much Has Changed? Golden and Shannon By The Numbers

Advertisement
Bottom line is this, golden will never win with the defensive philosophy/scheme that he and Dorito believe in. You either accept that or you don't but it's a fact and his three years in Miami have proven it.

Get a real DC and leave it in his hands and golden will right this ship. If he sticks with his soft defensive philosophy and his DC he will go down with the ship.

You're comparing Corch Al to the worst corch in history, and there's not much difference. You're not comparing him to a decent or a mediocre corch. You're comparing him to a still-born. THAT is the real take-away. Even if he's SLIGHTLY better, that's still disgusting.

I'm actually surprised Corch Shanntard's scoring D was worse than Corch Al's.

Pretty eye opening. He needs to hire some good coordinators and take the headset off and let them do their thing if he wants to right this ship. His X's and O's leave a lot to be desired.

Advertisement
Bottom line is this, golden will never win with the defensive philosophy/scheme that he and Dorito believe in. You either accept that or you don't but it's a fact and his three years in Miami have proven it.

Get a real DC and leave it in his hands and golden will right this ship. If he sticks with his soft defensive philosophy and his DC he will go down with the ship.

DING DING DING DING

this is the only chance for AG to have success. I think he can be a good CEO/recruiter but hes got to turn the defense over to someone competent

IF he doesnt, he will be outa here in a couple of years

That's really his only hope. I question his intelligence, though, for sticking with it this long. It should be crystal clear after that abortion against VT that these guys are in over their heads. The ONLY potential way to change that is adopting a whole new defensive philosophy and then finding a qualified DC to actually run it and install it.

How are there still even a few people NOT questioning Golden at this point? Golden walked into a worse situation? Jesus ******* Christ, Randy inherited a roster that had a punter playing WR for god's sake.

Yep. And as much as we like to rip on Coley, to be perfectly honest, we don't need an offensive machine to win big games. We don't have that much to go to be a better offense and I think we have the pieces and general philosophy to do it. Don't need to be a boy genius like Fisch to excel. Defense, otoh, has waaaaays to go and the only difference is going to be by switching the coordinator. Donofrio is what he is - round hole/square peg because he does not know how to adjust to personnel. Lots of coordinators in the past re-invent themselves based on their talent - I don't see Donofrio ever doing that.

Advertisement
If Dorito goes then Paul Williams and Jethro need to go with him. We need to rid ourselves of everything surrounding the current scheme.

You all remember the excuses Shannon used to make after our defense would get torched by mediocre teams? It was the eerily familiar "guys not doing their jobs", "guys not executing and doing what their taught", "missed assignments", etc line of defense. I've been hearing the same **** the past few years. I remember I used to think why our defense has gaping holes in it just because one guy made a bad read on defense. It seemed like it required all 11 guys to do exactly what they are told and if one guy did not, the whole defense would go to the crapper. What kind of scheme is that?

I recall Shannon's scheme being torched on the message boards for a variety of reasons. If there are several years of parrotting the same excuse, logic would tell you that either you are a sh1tty coach or your scheme is sh1tty.

Al Golden is like a politician says all the right things but does not produce on the field.

Advertisement

Yep. And as much as we like to rip on Coley, to be perfectly honest, we don't need an offensive machine to win big games. We don't have that much to go to be a better offense and I think we have the pieces and general philosophy to do it. Don't need to be a boy genius like Fisch to excel. Defense, otoh, has waaaaays to go and the only difference is going to be by switching the coordinator. Donofrio is what he is - round hole/square peg because he does not know how to adjust to personnel. Lots of coordinators in the past re-invent themselves based on their talent - I don't see Donofrio ever doing that.

With offense too, it's a lot easier to throw some amazing athletes out there and they can still be successful. Studs like Coley and Duke will be studs in any offensive scheme you run. On defense, scheme is so important to a players success. Studs would be put out of position to make plays in this defense.

Personal opinion is that Shannon's scheme and setup were not the problem as much as it was poor player development. Those guys could not tackle. They were all obsessed with getting the big hit and because of it, they missed a lot of tackles that led to big plays.

Advertisement
How are there still even a few people NOT questioning Golden at this point? Golden walked into a worse situation? Jesus ****ing Christ, Randy inherited a roster that had a punter playing WR for god's sake.

he was part of that staff, and there's no excuse for not being beastly on defense, which we weren't.

Shannon's inheritance was worse than Golden's as I recall it. The players he suited up year one were quite bad. Golden had one main disadvantage though which is that a whole host of talent left AFTER his first year. His talent really bottomed out his second year. His year 2 was like Shannon 3 and so forth.

Shannon's inheritance was worse than Golden's as I recall it. The players he suited up year one were quite bad. Golden had one main disadvantage though which is that a whole host of talent left AFTER his first year. His talent really bottomed out his second year. His year 2 was like Shannon 3 and so forth.

Don't forget that Al got blindsided in his first game here with suspensions.

No here's the real bottom line, Al Golden is on a 20 year contract so he can never really be fired unless he completely loses control of the program. Think Larry Coker and the FIU brawl. Anything short of that and Golden will be the coach for the next decade at least, regardless of wins and losses.

If we fired Golden, we'd still have to pay his salary, so we would be lucky to be able to afford to hire Randy Shannon back. Matter of fact, that's exactly what happened with Coker and that's why we were stuck with Shannon in the first place. This program can't afford to hire one decent coach, let alone two. And high paid assistants? Forget it.

Al Golden is here to stay so you better get used to it. D'Onofrio, on the other hand, is fair game. If you want to get rid of him, I suggest letting the AD know, because Al Golden ain't having any of it.

Advertisement
Back