How Much Has Changed? Golden and Shannon By The Numbers

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
Couldn't sleep, got bored. Did this. Interesting stuff.

Through their first 33 games:

Al Golden

Overall record: 20 - 13

Conference record: 11 - 10

Record vs teams over .500: 5 - 10

Strength of schedule: 50th

Randy Shannon

Overall record: 18 – 15

Conference record: 9 - 12

Record vs teams over .500: 8 - 12

Strength of schedule: 24th

Here are the national statistical rankings of various categories over their first 33 games:

Al Golden

Total offense – 49th

Rush offense – 69th

Pass offense – 41st

Scoring offense – 48th

Scoring defense – 47th

Total defense – 72nd

Pass defense - 67th

Rush defense – 77th

Sacks – 65th

Randy Shannon

Total offense – 81st

Rush offense – 58th

Pass offense – 72nd

Scoring offense – 30th

Scoring defense – 48th

Total defense – 30th

Pass defense - 28th

Rush defense – 49th

Sacks – 46th

First 3 recruiting class rankings:

Al Golden:

38th
9th
20th

Randy Shannon:

16th
4th
9th

(Average of Scout and Rivals rankings)

Advertisement
I wish Coker could be added in. Everyone forgets how bad he was, or at least they don't mention it.

No, no - more like trying to forget. The cumulative damage would make me too high strung, and the strain would be too much for me to bear.

Advertisement
To be fair, Al inherited a worse team with more holes and then had to recruit and coach under this ncaa mess. Nonetheless, very interesting stats.

To be fair, Al inherited a worse team with more holes

Did he?

Year 1 I think we were better than what Shannon was handed. Who knows what the season could of been like without all the NCAA **** hitting and **** near every junior on the roster counting down the clock to the end of the year. I still think with out the NCAA stuff thats an 8 win team.

Year 2 was a **** train wreck roster/talent wise. With the mass exodus of the junior class guys it killed any chance we had at being decent. Its actually a miracle we won as many games as we did. We won some weird *** games last year.

Advertisement
Not sure Al will ever make us elite, but this program is in far more capable hands under Golden than it was under Shannon. For people to completely ignore the NCAA issues, suspensions, negative recruiting, etc is just silly. We never sniffed the ACCCG game under Shannon. We already forfeited in Al's 2nd year with a bunch of 19 year olds. Also, unlike with Randy, our recruiting classes are getting better, not worse.

When AL took over the team all his best players with eligibility left assuming we was going to be under mass sanctions, and not landing the players in 2011 was apparent playing uf and fsu loaded with sofla talent from that year. I think AL tenure is going to be based on who he brings in as a D coordinator, we know coley can get them on O (Soon he will get it or we will just be so stacked on O it doesnt matter what he calls) i say AL tenure should start this year and lets review this in 2 years

Advertisement
You're comparing Corch Al to the worst corch in history, and there's not much difference. You're not comparing him to a decent or a mediocre corch. You're comparing him to a still-born. THAT is the real take-away. Even if he's SLIGHTLY better, that's still disgusting.

I'm actually surprised Corch Shanntard's scoring D was worse than Corch Al's.

So golden made a slight improvement with a strength of schedule that is 25 spots lower than Shannon?

good job good effort

We never sniffed the ACCCG game under Shannon. We already forfeited in Al's 2nd year with a bunch of 19 year olds.

UNC won the division last season.

You do realize under Shannon the only year we finished within a game of the Division title was in 2008 when we finished 4-4 in the conference good enough for 4th place in the Coastal. The other 3 years we finished an average of 3 games back every year. You know how sad that is when you only play 8 conference games in a pathetic division?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not sure Al will ever make us elite, but this program is in far more capable hands under Golden than it was under Shannon. For people to completely ignore the NCAA issues, suspensions, negative recruiting, etc is just silly. We never sniffed the ACCCG game under Shannon. We already forfeited in Al's 2nd year with a bunch of 19 year olds. Also, unlike with Randy, our recruiting classes are getting better, not worse.
Agree it's under better hands problem is the on field results aren't there

Amazing how all of a suddenly the circumstances both entered into are forgotten.

I'm the last one to defend these guys right now, but I'm just saying.

You're comparing Corch Al to the worst corch in history, and there's not much difference. You're not comparing him to a decent or a mediocre corch. You're comparing him to a still-born. THAT is the real take-away. Even if he's SLIGHTLY better, that's still disgusting.

I'm actually surprised Corch Shanntard's scoring D was worse than Corch Al's.

Pretty much the main point. It's terrifying.

Advertisement
Back