How much do our players love Football?

lol its a means to an end man. plenty of people hate practicing law but do it bc it provides an income. same w any other job. you'll also be shocked to find out how many of your favorite pro athletes hate playing but are just so good at it. even a few HOFers

Advertisement
You will never get a whole not even half a roster to eat, live, and breathe football. Some kids want to go to the NFL, some want to be all Americans, some just want a degree, some kids just want the experience. Nothing wrong with neither of them as long as they are playing their role on the team

Recently I had a conversation with a very close friend whose son was a starting ILB for UVA for the past 4 years, Nick Jackson. Nick received his degree and transferred to Iowa where he is a starting ILB.
I asked his dad about the biggest difference between Nick playing for Iowa as opposed to UVA. His answer was that every player on the Iowa roster does nothing else, and cares about nothing else other than playing football, watching film, and talking about football. School is a distant second, and social activities (I know it’s Iowa but its still college) are not even on the radar. At UVA there were a handful of kids on the offense and defense who were like that, including Nick. So even though Iowa can’t score an offensive TD (head coach’s son is the OC) the players are immersed in football all the time.

I think the biggest thing Mario wanted to change is he wanted players who live, breathe, eat and sleep football. Culture so to speak. And frankly I think we have many, especially in this freshman class. But I think we are 2-3 years away from having a full roster of players who are football first, second and last. I also think that in the past we recruited good players who were not dedicated to the game. I hate to pick on Mark Pope but he always struck me in that way. Our best players were often transfers who cared about nothing other than football which helped them succeed individually, though not improving the overall trajectory of the program; Roche, Phillips, Osborne as examples.

IMO, Mario was correct that the culture of football as the most important thing did not exist at UM when he arrived. We were like UVA. Some cared, some did not. Hopefully he can change that. Coach L certainly has done that in basketball. All of the guys he has now are basketball junkies. Only time will tell.
I hear Coach Prime also needs a roster full of kids who love football.

But seriously, this post might have carried more weight if you didn’t use ANOTHER program that ALSO can’t score an offensive TD to try and illustrate your point.

But seriously, this post might have carried more weight if you didn’t use ANOTHER program that ALSO can’t score an offensive TD to try and illustrate your point.
Yeah, didn’t buy it a couple weeks ago when Prime questioned whether his players loved or just liked football. Kid can love football & fail to wrap up an RB or WR. Or drop a ball, misread coverage or shank a kick. What’s the measuring stick for living or liking? Do UGA players love football more than Florida because they kicked their asses? Does Prime not love football because his team can’t get him a W?

Advertisement

Well I don’t have a friend’s son playing at any other program to make this inquiry. I only used Iowa because of that.

Recently I had a conversation with a very close friend whose son was a starting ILB for UVA for the past 4 years, Nick Jackson. Nick received his degree and transferred to Iowa where he is a starting ILB.
I asked his dad about the biggest difference between Nick playing for Iowa as opposed to UVA. His answer was that every player on the Iowa roster does nothing else, and cares about nothing else other than playing football, watching film, and talking about football. School is a distant second, and social activities (I know it’s Iowa but its still college) are not even on the radar. At UVA there were a handful of kids on the offense and defense who were like that, including Nick. So even though Iowa can’t score an offensive TD (head coach’s son is the OC) the players are immersed in football all the time.

I think the biggest thing Mario wanted to change is he wanted players who live, breathe, eat and sleep football. Culture so to speak. And frankly I think we have many, especially in this freshman class. But I think we are 2-3 years away from having a full roster of players who are football first, second and last. I also think that in the past we recruited good players who were not dedicated to the game. I hate to pick on Mark Pope but he always struck me in that way. Our best players were often transfers who cared about nothing other than football which helped them succeed individually, though not improving the overall trajectory of the program; Roche, Phillips, Osborne as examples.

IMO, Mario was correct that the culture of football as the most important thing did not exist at UM when he arrived. We were like UVA. Some cared, some did not. Hopefully he can change that. Coach L certainly has done that in basketball. All of the guys he has now are basketball junkies. Only time will tell.
See James Williams last social media post should be ur answer. Personally I hate social media that’s just me I don’t have any. Don’t say I’m old I’m not I’m in my 20s just never saw the point just seemed dumb

Advertisement
lol its a means to an end man. plenty of people hate practicing law but do it bc it provides an income. same w any other job. you'll also be shocked to find out how many of your favorite pro athletes hate playing but are just so good at it. even a few HOFers
FACTS! I was SHOCKED how many guys I played with who didnt even watch football games..

There are legions of people who hate their jobs, but are really, really **** good at their work.

At the end of the day it's going to come down to if and when we get a QB. King wasn't a great QB but if you put him on this team we probably only have one loss if that. It's hard to win no matter what the culture is if you have a turnover machine as the leader.

Advertisement

how you let your close friend have his son commit to 2 programs like UVA n IOWA.

I did want Nick Jackson here at 1 point though lol

1 ******/***** (depending)
2 Weed
3 Social media presence
4 Sleeping
5 Football

giphy.gif

This is it. You lose kids when you force them to buy into bull****. All Mario does is talk about work and toughness and no doubt most of these kids give it their all everyday. But when the results aren’t there and it’s bc of the coaches, or a specific position and to no fault of 95% of the rest of the kids, they’re as good as gone.
Thats what eventually happened at FIU for em a bit.

But i think he may be able to right the ship here with some more tweaks and self evaluation.

Advertisement
Whatever happened to Mario holding players accountable? This lasted like three games.

Pulled Taylor after a penalty game 1 and did the same thing with Cohen during the Bethune game.

What happened to pulling your qb who doesn't give a **** or guys like Cam who can't catch a cold. **** he put Keontra Smith back out there against UNC after his stupid penalty.

how you let your close friend have his son commit to 2 programs like UVA n IOWA.

I did want Nick Jackson here at 1 point though lol
Dad was a UVA grad so that was a big draw. Iowa was just about playing football. He can’t stand living in Iowa except for the fact that he says the girls are MUCH better looking at Iowa than at UVA.

Advertisement
Back