How much do our players love Football?

AtlAtty

Recruit
Maude
Recently I had a conversation with a very close friend whose son was a starting ILB for UVA for the past 4 years, Nick Jackson. Nick received his degree and transferred to Iowa where he is a starting ILB.
I asked his dad about the biggest difference between Nick playing for Iowa as opposed to UVA. His answer was that every player on the Iowa roster does nothing else, and cares about nothing else other than playing football, watching film, and talking about football. School is a distant second, and social activities (I know it’s Iowa but its still college) are not even on the radar. At UVA there were a handful of kids on the offense and defense who were like that, including Nick. So even though Iowa can’t score an offensive TD (head coach’s son is the OC) the players are immersed in football all the time.

I think the biggest thing Mario wanted to change is he wanted players who live, breathe, eat and sleep football. Culture so to speak. And frankly I think we have many, especially in this freshman class. But I think we are 2-3 years away from having a full roster of players who are football first, second and last. I also think that in the past we recruited good players who were not dedicated to the game. I hate to pick on Mark Pope but he always struck me in that way. Our best players were often transfers who cared about nothing other than football which helped them succeed individually, though not improving the overall trajectory of the program; Roche, Phillips, Osborne as examples.

IMO, Mario was correct that the culture of football as the most important thing did not exist at UM when he arrived. We were like UVA. Some cared, some did not. Hopefully he can change that. Coach L certainly has done that in basketball. All of the guys he has now are basketball junkies. Only time will tell.

Advertisement
Recently I had a conversation with a very close friend whose son was a starting ILB for UVA for the past 4 years, Nick Jackson. Nick received his degree and transferred to Iowa where he is a starting ILB.
I asked his dad about the biggest difference between Nick playing for Iowa as opposed to UVA. His answer was that every player on the Iowa roster does nothing else, and cares about nothing else other than playing football, watching film, and talking about football. School is a distant second, and social activities (I know it’s Iowa but its still college) are not even on the radar. At UVA there were a handful of kids on the offense and defense who were like that, including Nick. So even though Iowa can’t score an offensive TD (head coach’s son is the OC) the players are immersed in football all the time.

I think the biggest thing Mario wanted to change is he wanted players who live, breathe, eat and sleep football. Culture so to speak. And frankly I think we have many, especially in this freshman class. But I think we are 2-3 years away from having a full roster of players who are football first, second and last. I also think that in the past we recruited good players who were not dedicated to the game. I hate to pick on Mark Pope but he always struck me in that way. Our best players were often transfers who cared about nothing other than football which helped them succeed individually, though not improving the overall trajectory of the program; Roche, Phillips, Osborne as examples.

IMO, Mario was correct that the culture of football as the most important thing did not exist at UM when he arrived. We were like UVA. Some cared, some did not. Hopefully he can change that. Coach L certainly has done that in basketball. All of the guys he has now are basketball junkies. Only time will tell.
Getting 85+ 18 to 22/23 year old guys to focus totally on football IN MIAMI is no doubt a challenge. It’s been obvious previous staffs weren’t able to establish that mentality. In today’s world of social media coupled with all the distractions of MIAMI, Mario has his work cut out for him.

Getting 85+ 18 to 22/23 year old guys to focus totally on football IN MIAMI is no doubt a challenge. It’s been obvious previous staffs weren’t able to establish that mentality. In today’s world of social media coupled with all the distractions of MIAMI, Mario has his work cut out for him.
This is an instance when Iowa City has a distinct advantage over Miami/Coral Gables/South beach.

True but it doesn't have to be that way. Players don't need to solely focus on football. Its not healthy.

Plenty of our teams in the past played in and won National Championships while partying and doing other extracurricular activities.

Theres a fine line. Mario's in the building "solely focused on football for all hours of the day and night", but that commitment doesn't get him good results.

You need mature players who take football seriously and are smart enough to separate at the appropriate time.

True but it doesn't have to be that way. Players don't need to solely focus on football. Its not healthy.

Plenty of our teams in the past played in and won National Championships while partying and doing other extracurricular activities.

Theres a fine line. Mario's in the building "solely focused on football for all hours of the day and night", but that commitment doesn't get him good results.

You need mature players who take football seriously and are smart enough to separate at the appropriate time.
Solely focus on football when it’s time to solely focus on football. I agree, there needs to be some balance. There’s only 12-13 games a year but the rest of the time should be balanced with other activities.

Football is inherently a demanding sport. Most of the young guys understand this and know what they’re getting into. As in with any occupation, a person only gets back what they put into it.

Advertisement
We’re going to find out a lot about who really wants to be on the field come Saturday. If the game goes the way most of us fear it will, the weak links will fold up shop. The dogs will claw and kick until the end.

That's nice and all but 2-3 more years is a long time. That's long enough to know if the next guy is the right fit or not.

Spare me with this "the kids need to live, eat breathe, sh*t football" mess. You can love the game 2000%, but if you have a sh*tty head coach/leadership then you won't go far. There's very few players leftover from when Diaz was coach. Like 90% of the players now are guys Mario brought in. All the heart in the world won't make up for bad offensive gameplans and an inept coach. Mario is the bad culture.

Advertisement
This is a new angle I dont think has been bought up with corches in past to buy more time, it sucks it had to be used soo early in his tenure but to buy 3 more years for 5 total when Elko turned ******* Duke around year1 and Brohm is at his alma mater in year 1 is NASTY work. this guy been here and he still cant install his amazing culture?! Commendable effort but just gonna churn up dissent faster I think because this is bull****.. 5 years?!

They don't kneel at Iowa either.

Victory formation is for those pussies at Iowa State.

The connection is there, porsters just need to be willing to see the light.

#TrustInSanMario

Advertisement

Explain USC’s relative success being in the entertainment capital of the world, social media state of the world, and a top 30 Academic Institution in the nation since 2010, then.

Last edited:
Explain USC’s relative success being in the entertainment capital of the word, social media state of the world, and a top 30 Academic Institution in the nation since 2010, then.
Dont Tell Me What To Do Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

Advertisement
Spare me with this "the kids need to live, eat breathe, sh*t football" mess. You can love the game 2000%, but if you have a sh*tty head coach/leadership then you won't go far. There's very few players leftover from when Diaz was coach. Like 90% of the players now are guys Mario brought in. All the heart in the world won't make up for bad offensive gameplans and an inept coach. Mario is the bad culture.
This is it. You lose kids when you force them to buy into bull****. All Mario does is talk about work and toughness and no doubt most of these kids give it their all everyday. But when the results aren’t there and it’s bc of the coaches, or a specific position and to no fault of 95% of the rest of the kids, they’re as good as gone.

that's because UVa is an excellent university with a requisite amount of establishment prestige

Iowa is not. (med school and writing center excepted)

it's easier to amass a culture of kids who can be glorified physical education show monkeys at a place like that. even easier at places like the SEC schools, which are nothing but sports programs that sometime teach math and history. it's just the way it is. all that being said, it doesn't change the calculus of how UM can build and maintain a winning program.

that's because UVa is an excellent university with a requisite amount of establishment prestige

it's easier to amass a culture of kids who can be glorified physical education show monkeys at a place like that. even easier at places like the SEC schools, which are nothing but sports programs that sometime teach math and history. it's just the way it is. all that being said, it doesn't change the calculus of how UM can build and maintain a winning program.
No question as to the reasoning. Nick doesn’t even like to say he is a grad student at Iowa. Ask him and he will just say he graduated from UVA, and is playing football at Iowa. He has not even stepped inside of a classroom of academic building. But he loves the football side.

Oh indeed. IF my kids were talented enough to rate full rides to UVa(g) or the like to play sportball, I’d hope they weren’t focused entirely on their sport. I’d prefer they also find time to network, etc. It’s largely why you go to such institutions. It’s a 50 year play. To me, sportball talent should be leveraged to get you into a skool you wouldn’t otherwise qualify for. For others…. **Shrug**

Advertisement
Back