How Many Spots?

Advertisement
Apologies if this has been asked and covered already but with Lee leaving and our 3 current commits, how many spots do we actually have in '22? In know there was a 24/7 breakdown for available spots per ACC team but I haven't been able to find it. Seems like it's why the Sh*tNoles are taking so many is that they had a lot more spots.
1625072127735.gif

I still cannot believe that the NCAA has sat on their *** doing NOTHING with IC's and all the kids in the portal. You create a frenzy by saying COVID is a free year and any kid can transfer and not sit out, the portal gets flooded, then you don't increase IC's and now you have 100s of kids in the portal and no where to go or forced to return to their own schools tail between their legs. They had a perfect opportunity to address it in Jan/Feb to allow kids to transfer in time for spring ball. Now we are in July, fall camp is about to start and still zero word on what is happening.

I still cannot believe that the NCAA has sat on their *** doing NOTHING with IC's and all the kids in the portal. You create a frenzy by saying COVID is a free year and any kid can transfer and not sit out, the portal gets flooded, then you don't increase IC's and now you have 100s of kids in the portal and no where to go or forced to return to their own schools tail between their legs. They had a perfect opportunity to address it in Jan/Feb to allow kids to transfer in time for spring ball. Now we are in July, fall camp is about to start and still zero word on what is happening

They sorta did something for '21. They allowed teams to go over the 85 by the number of seniors on the roster. Thus allowing a school to play with 110 IF they had 85 seniors and took a full '21 class. The real issue is that they didn't factor in future years. IMO, they should have given every school 105 spots for '21, 100 for '22, 90 for '23, and back to 85 for '24.

This is why I said the 85 is a much bigger factor than the 25. Miami can play with 93-95 kids for '21 so technically we could use '22 counters to sign portal kids in August. I don't expect that which keeps us around 85 kids on ships with 8 seniors and around 8 walk-ons with ships. 16 actual spots as of today with 23 ICs available. I think it is very safe to assume we will have 7 departures to the NFL/Portal between today and February, at worst August '22. Any portal kid signed this year is assumed to be '22. Any portal kid signed next summer could be '23.

People just assume that the top schools are going to sign normal classes when in fact, I could see them having to push kids to the Portal OR out of the '22 class to get to the 85 number. This is why Miami with its 23 spots will LOAD UP on talent either from HS or the Portal. Don't hate me but FSU and VT are in similar positions as they both were well under the 85 cap.

They sorta did something for '21. They allowed teams to go over the 85 by the number of seniors on the roster. Thus allowing a school to play with 110 IF they had 85 seniors and took a full '21 class. The real issue is that they didn't factor in future years. IMO, they should have given every school 105 spots for '21, 100 for '22, 90 for '23, and back to 85 for '24.

This is why I said the 85 is a much bigger factor than the 25. Miami can play with 93-95 kids for '21 so technically we could use '22 counters to sign portal kids in August. I don't expect that which keeps us around 85 kids on ships with 8 seniors and around 8 walk-ons with ships. 16 actual spots as of today with 23 ICs available. I think it is very safe to assume we will have 7 departures to the NFL/Portal between today and February, at worst August '22. Any portal kid signed this year is assumed to be '22. Any portal kid signed next summer could be '23.

People just assume that the top schools are going to sign normal classes when in fact, I could see them having to push kids to the Portal OR out of the '22 class to get to the 85 number. This is why Miami with its 23 spots will LOAD UP on talent either from HS or the Portal. Don't hate me but FSU and VT are in similar positions as they both were well under the 85 cap.
They did but they HAD to do that with giving everyone a free year. You are allowing every senior to come back, every school had calculated scholarship figures factoring in certain guys no longer being eligible. Now if the NCAA said they could be, and kid took that option, it would be impossible for the school to get under the 85 cap.

The IC # to me is the bigger issue. You gave everyone a free year AND free range to transfer. So kids that maybe were thinking about transferring but did not want to sit out a year jumped on it. Now you have more portal kids than ever before with no where to go because schools may not want to risk a bunch of HS IC's or risk IC's on a player that maybe only has a year or two of eligibility left.

Advertisement
I’ve always thought the IC should be transferred IF the kid departs with degree or has a medical. Otherwise, 25/yr and 85 total is more than enough. Now we can open free agency with removing the 25 cap or increasing it.

Advertisement
Back