How Many Spots?

Staciweiss

Banned
Banned
Apologies if this has been asked and covered already but with Lee leaving and our 3 current commits, how many spots do we actually have in '22? In know there was a 24/7 breakdown for available spots per ACC team but I haven't been able to find it. Seems like it's why the Sh*tNoles are taking so many is that they had a lot more spots.

Advertisement
Let's assume we are heading into the season with 82 with 8 seniors. Starting point is 11. Now factor in walk-ons that are about to get degrees with ships given to them and we jump to almost 20. Add in some transfers and departures, maybe keep some walk-ons... I'd say we end up at around 22 with 3 portal spots. We can then use '23 spots if a great kid doesn't have a spot at a top school (requires a late start at camp).

I can't see us with less than 20.

Let's assume we are heading into the season with 82 with 8 seniors. Starting point is 11. Now factor in walk-ons that are about to get degrees with ships given to them and we jump to almost 20. Add in some transfers and departures, maybe keep some walk-ons... I'd say we end up at around 22 with 3 portal spots. We can then use '23 spots if a great kid doesn't have a spot at a top school (requires a late start at camp).

I can't see us with less than 20.

85 Team Cap will not be the issue. It's the 25 Class Cap, If 2 have already been allocated to the RB and OG transfers, Brown and Oluwasean, we're already down to 23. Assume a LB transfer pre-season, takes us to 22, and 2-3 scholarships for post-season portal kids, you're at 19-20 without another round blueshirting.

I agree with 90s that if things break our way, the HS class could be insanely talented. So I'd expect them to give up those portal back-pockets to get to 20-22 under the right circumastances where we win 10+ and HS elite kids are busting down the door to come. They can play with the blue shirt rules again to add a portal kid if absolutely necessary.

85 Team Cap will not be the issue. It's the 25 Class Cap, If 2 have already been allocated to the RB and OG transfers, Brown and Oluwasean, we're already down to 23. Assume a LB transfer pre-season, takes us to 22, and 2-3 scholarships for post-season portal kids, you're at 19-20. They can play with the blue shirt rules again to add someone if absolutely necessary.

Stevenson too.

Advertisement
Don’t forget Jarrid Williams was counted towards ‘22 so we technically have 22 IC spots. I figure we plan to add another transfer or two.

Edit: totally forgot Stephenson. That makes 21 spots.

Don’t forget Jarrid Williams was counted towards ‘22 so we technically have 22 IC spots. I figure we plan to add another transfer or two.

Edit: totally forgot Stephenson. That makes 21 spots.

Williams was counted towards 2021. Brown, Olu and Stevenson (Thanks Go) count towards 2022.

So 25 - 3 - an LB = 21 left. You decide how many go to HS kids and how many to portal kids.

Williams was counted towards 2021. Brown, Olu and Stevenson (Thanks Go) count towards 2022.

So 25 - 3 - an LB = 21 left. You decide how many go to HS kids and how many to portal kids.
Duh. You’re right. Brain fart

Advertisement
Much like how we are counting forward with 3 for this year, we will likely count forwards with this recruiting class as well. There will be way too much talent on the board to not take more than the counters for the class.

grover, I actually disagree about the 85 not factoring. The 85 is a massive factor due to Covid. 82-83 now with 8 seniors means we have to shave off the walkons to get to that 21-22 AND have some transfer or depart for the NFL.

Advertisement
There are 23 counters available for this class (Cody Brown and the OT from UNLV are counted)
I believe Miami is taking 18 HS kids, leaving 5 for the portal or any BIG time HS.

Much like how we are counting forward with 3 for this year, we will likely count forwards with this recruiting class as well. There will be way too much talent on the board to not take more than the counters for the class.

grover, I actually disagree about the 85 not factoring. The 85 is a massive factor due to Covid. 82-83 now with 8 seniors means we have to shave off the walkons to get to that 21-22 AND have some transfer or depart for the NFL.
Walk ons do not apply to the 85 scholarship limit.

Advertisement
I really hope we don't need 5 additional portal kids. Outside of LB and possibly CB, our depth of talent should run pretty deep.
Portal kids don’t all have to be 1 year rentals. If you can grab a really talented kid who is transferring after a year elsewhere, wouldn’t you take that too? Basically a HS kid or JuCo kid depending on if they stay 2 or 3 more years. We should adapt to the changing game. There’s going to be talent moving around.

I really hope we don't need 5 additional portal kids. Outside of LB and possibly CB, our depth of talent should run pretty deep.
If we sign the 3 or 4 cbs we're hearing not sure we need a portal cb next year if guys like Dunson and Clark keep developing along with Couch start and the freshmen studs as back ups.And as far as LB this is the year we needed a portal MLB to start next to K.Smith,by next season guys like Flagg,Cave and Brooks will be a year older/more experienced.

Walk ons do not apply to the 85 scholarship limit.

they count towards only the 85 when given a ship. They also count towards the 105 limit when not given a ship. We have given out around 8 ships to 3rd year walk ons. Most of them will graduate this year which gives us the option to not renew the ship for their 5th year.
Lastly, if they get a ship in the first two years on campus they count towards the 25 and 85.

Advertisement
Back