How many LBs are we taking?

Advertisement
As many as needed to not have to play fentress if one or two of our LBs get hurt.

Hes a great kid and good special teams player but if you wanna win championships thats not the kind of depth you want.

As of this moment, it looks like we're going heavy on defense in this class (as we should, if you've watched even 2 seconds of game action from this past season).

Out of the projected 15 scholarship players we're looking to bring in 3 DL, 2 LB, 2/3 DBs. Could change slightly, but I don't see much deviation from those numbers.

Also, remember, JuCo players who enroll in January count against the PREVIOUS YEAR'S NUMBER. So, we could presumably bring in Bond, Hooks, Figueroa, and the TE and still take a full 15 member class in February.

As of this moment, it looks like we're going heavy on defense in this class (as we should, if you've watched even 2 seconds of game action from this past season).

Out of the projected 15 scholarship players we're looking to bring in 3 DL, 2 LB, 2/3 DBs. Could change slightly, but I don't see much deviation from those numbers.

Also, remember, JuCo players who enroll in January count against the PREVIOUS YEAR'S NUMBER. So, we could presumably bring in Bond, Hooks, Figueroa, and the TE and still take a full 15 member class in February.

good info. ppreciate the updates

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am)...Isn't total number of players under scholarship what matters though? We're going to be well under the yearly scholarship limit, so what's important is that we reach our desired total number of scholarships. The number we bring in for this specific year doesn't matter does it? Since it'll be under 25 no matter what... And I assume we'll self impose some scholarship reductions.

good info. ppreciate the updates

For real.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am)...Isn't total number of players under scholarship what matters though? We're going to be well under the yearly scholarship limit, so what's important is that we reach our desired total number of scholarships. The number we bring in for this specific year doesn't matter does it? Since it'll be under 25 no matter what... And I assume we'll self impose some scholarship reductions.

Both the number of incoming players AND the total number on scholarship matter. The reduction to 15 would be the first year of any per-year reduction, and the total number would have to be adjusted before the first day of fall camp.

Advertisement
If the numbers given in post #4 above are correct - 3 DL, 2 LB, 2/3 DB - we would be taking 7 or 8 defensive players, about 50% of 15 and quite a bit less than 50% if we take 15 plus some EEs. How would this be considered "heavy on defense?"

Also, remember, JuCo players who enroll in January count against the PREVIOUS YEAR'S NUMBER. So, we could presumably bring in Bond, Hooks, Figueroa, and the TE and still take a full 15 member class in February

Not entirely accurate.

Yes, January enrollees CAN count to the previous year but you can only enroll 25 kids in a year. (Aug to Aug).

However, Miami enrolled

Botts
Chickillo
Crawford
Dorsett
Finnie
Goudis
Grimble
Johnson
Paul
Perryman
Pierre
Scott
Williams
Armbrister
King
Smith
Alexis
Williams
Crow (EE)
Dewey (EE)
Flowers (EE)
Gadbois (EE)
Gunter (EE)
Kirby (EE)
Witt (EE)

Thompson
Johnson
Dillard
Lockhart
Lewis
Carter
Jones
Waters
Isidora
Hamilton
McCord
Hoilett
O'Donnell
Briscoe
Ivery
Kirby
Terry
Blue
Howard
Dortch
Hope
Crawford
Davis
Bush
Jenkins

25 per class.

The only possible 2013 early enrollee back counting would be a single spot if Finnie was a 2010 kid and Hoilett a 2011 kid (but 5th Year Blake Ayles also enrolled, not sure how that is counted).

Of course, your statement that they could sign 4 JCs and still sign 15 in February is correct because Miami has room for 25 kids in this class. The issue being that Miami is currently at 81 with 11 seniors and therefore, signing 19 would simply mean that enough non-seniors would have to leave the program to allow for 19 enrollees plus Miami's pending self-imposed sanctions.

Advertisement
As many as needed to not have to play fentress if one or two of our LBs get hurt.

Hes a great kid and good special teams player but if you wanna win championships thats not the kind of depth you want.

Yup and it seems like we are trying to build a presence on the edges. I don't think there's as many true DE's as the staff had hoped for this year so we are looking for guys who can fill that outside role. Just my observation/hunch though.

Advertisement
Back